**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Aug 20, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #12,346 of 22,116
Binaural music is fantastic on HE400, moreso than other cans I've tried (including modded HE500).

So textured and tactile. Those binaural drum kicks can trick your brain into thinking they might actually be real drums being played beside you.

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #12,348 of 22,116
Quote:

So the LD MKIII's should run them just fine? Just worried that my existing amp doesn't pair well with a planar magnetic headphone.

As far as enough power it should be fine.  As far as matching well I couldn't say.  I've never heard the LD MK3, only the MK2.  While the MK2 isn't necessarily bad, I did like the O2 and Magni better.

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #12,349 of 22,116
Quote:

As far as enough power it should be fine.  As far as matching well I couldn't say.  I've never heard the LD MK3, only the MK2.  While the MK2 isn't necessarily bad, I did like the O2 and Magni better.

Digging up posts on the site yielded some fruit; some say the HE-400 does fine with the MKIII but again, not much regarding the matching between them.

Oh well, I'm still interested in getting one though. Thanks!

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #12,351 of 22,116
Quote:

iPod in the shower? You guys are nuts!! I drilled a small hole in my shower and installed a water proof 3.5 jack that feeds right to my desktop amps. If you're gonna do something, you might as well do it right. 

Alright, Matt and Wayne,
quit joshin' here. Or are you guys really serious ? Look at what you have done. I am now looking at my washer and dryer with new purpose. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #12,352 of 22,116
Quote:
Binaural music is fantastic on HE400, moreso than other cans I've tried (including modded HE500).

So textured and tactile. Those binaural drum kicks can trick your brain into thinking they might actually be real drums being played beside you.

I listen to a lot of binaural recordings on my he-400, and I agree it sounds very very good. It's very lifelike as though the sounds are coming from in the room. If anyone is interested check out binaural ASMR on youtube. It is not music btw, but a form of relaxation for troubled sleepers or tingle seekers...

Aug 21, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #12,353 of 22,116
Quote:
Proud new owner of the HE-400 here. Just picked mine up the other day, really enjoying them so far.

I have to admit, they seem a bit harder to power then I was expecting. Straight out of my phone (Galaxy S III) they are VERY quiet.

I have them hooked up to my Fiio E17 right now and it is a large improvement over un amped.

I bumped the gain up a bit and to my ears they sound excellent right now. I'd say the Fiio E17 is adequate to power them, I might look into something a bit beefier in the future but right now I'm pretty good with this set up.

I also find them a bit more comfortable then I was expecting...

Anyways, here I am seriously evaluating LOL

For me the jump that i mostly noticed (mostly in soundstage) was when i moved to the schiit asgard.

I went from unamped to Fiio E17, to Fiio E09 and finally to Asgard.
At that point i no longer felt like i required a better amp for the HE-400.

Aug 21, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #12,354 of 22,116
Quote:
For me the jump that i mostly noticed (mostly in soundstage) was when i moved to the schiit asgard.

I went from unamped to Fiio E17, to Fiio E09 and finally to Asgard.
At that point i no longer felt like i required a better amp for the HE-400.

I'd like to move up to some Schiit equipment as well, but budget doesn't allow that at the moment 
frown.gif

Aug 21, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #12,355 of 22,116
I don't understand, with part 3 of the jergmod... The spacers...

How do the pads then clip back on? Because the spacers are in the way... Do you just leave those 2 clips detached? Or somehow force them together?

Just to clarify the part of the mods where you make stacks of tape to create a vent.... How do the clips then attach back onto the headphone with these stacks there? Or do you leave it detached?

Thanks.

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #12,356 of 22,116
Quote:
I don't understand, with part 3 of the jergmod... The spacers...

How do the pads then clip back on? Because the spacers are in the way... Do you just leave those 2 clips detached? Or somehow force them together?

Just to clarify the part of the mods where you make stacks of tape to create a vent.... How do the clips then attach back onto the headphone with these stacks there? Or do you leave it detached?

Thanks.

The clips still clip on, the ring will just be slightly deformed due to the vent.

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #12,358 of 22,116
Quote:
 And will this mod negatively affect the bass response?

It shouldn't. The sub bass mod helps bring the vibrations from the headphone into the pad. Without adhesion, the rings are loose enough to spin around because there isn't enough contact between the ring and the headphone. This keeps vibrations from passing directly into the pad which is what the adhesion mod fixes. Considering that the ring will be secured with or without the vent, I don't think the bass should change much if at all.

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #12,359 of 22,116
Quote:
 And will this mod negatively affect the bass response?

Coupled with the sub-bass mod, it (spacers at the back) should give a very slight increase in overall bass. The sub-bass mod boosts extension below 40 Hz or so, while the spacers allow the pads to be slightly angled / partially distanced from the drivers at the back, which boosts mid-bass a tiny bit (the midbass seems to be reactive to the earpad depth, especially when the earpads are very shallow i.e. pleathers).

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #12,360 of 22,116
I have done all the mods now, not sure if I prefer it with the spacers or not, but it does seem a bit less "hollow" sounding than before, anyway I will leave it now because at least the spacers improve the comfort by giving enough space for my ears to fit.

Order of effect on sound I would say :

Most difference - Part 1 (holes in pads) > Part 4 (sub bass adhesion) > Part 3 (spacers) > Velour mod (because I didn't do it :p)

edit : actually the spacers definately an improvement to the sound, more "airy" and less "hollow" sounding... Which is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back