**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Aug 20, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #12,333 of 22,116
Quote:
I'm gonna have to try this. I recently tried using my washer and drier and let's just say that the headphones were a complete disaster after the dry cycle. Five hours and a complete roll of duct tape later and they sound better than they ever have. The drier really burned in the drivers.

Wire brushing should be better so I don't have to reassemble this duct tape mess.

Yes, get your HE-400, hit them with a hammer until they break apart, run a wire brush over the drivers, trust me they will sound night and day better afterwards. (don't do this, it is a joke, just incase you have an IQ of <50)

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #12,334 of 22,116
I just noticed yesterday when I used my HE-500 as mini speakers. how the pads really vibrate from the bass, while the other parts of the headphone barely vibrate (grills, housing, etc).

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #12,336 of 22,116
I wonder what these would be like if you completely cut out the pleather leaving just foam on the underside of the pads....

On the jerg mod you have holes in the pleather, but if you completely removed the pleather so it was just foam.... Anyone want to try this? :p

Aug 20, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #12,337 of 22,116
Quote:
I wonder what these would be like if you completely cut out the pleather leaving just foam on the underside of the pads....

On the jerg mod you have holes in the pleather, but if you completely removed the pleather so it was just foam.... Anyone want to try this? :p

I don't see how it might work easily. The foam has square edges that are being compressed into a curvature by the fabric/pleather material, if you cut everything out at the bottom there will be no space for the ears to wedge into in the pad opening.

Aug 20, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #12,338 of 22,116
Is it normal for the ear to sit inside the opening of these headphones?

My ear seems to fit into the opening of the pads...With some adjustment I can have the pads basically pinning my ear against my head but it tends to want to naturally sit inside the opening.

I don't notice much difference in comfort or acoustics so I guess it doesn't matter to much...just wondering about others experience :)

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #12,341 of 22,116
Quote:

Yes, these are Circumaural headphones, not Supra-aural:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headphones#Circumaural

Thanks CRUZ 
L3000.gif

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #12,342 of 22,116
Just finished 3 of the 4 steps to the jergpad mod. Did everything except for the velour top modification. Easily the best thing I could have done. It wasn't hard at all either. If you got the tools and some time, it's actually pretty easy and pretty hard to mess up. 

They are now what I would consider to be the best headphones I've owned surpassing the Grado ps500 and even the Sennheiser HD650.

Aug 20, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #12,343 of 22,116
I am very interested in getting the HE-400 to replace my Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro as my home setup, but I'm still on the fence.

First of all, I fear that my desktop setup (Little Dot MKIII) may not be the best match for the very efficient HE-400, since the amp looks to be more suited for higher-impedance/low-sensitivity headphones. Any opinions on how the HiFiMANs sound with the Little Dot? Still torn between getting the HE-400 or opt for something like the Sennheiser HD600 or 650.

Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back