**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Aug 23, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #12,376 of 22,116
Quote:
Congrats akong...you got a fine set of hp's now. 
size]

Haha, I'm excited! 

Quote:

Congrats! Your first step into planars?

Indeed. Eager to hear what all the praise is about. 

Aug 23, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #12,379 of 22,116
What does the foam mod do? Can't seem to find a page that has all the mods. Also, does the jerg mod help the treble chill out a bit? Sometimes my ears hurt from these guys. 

Aug 23, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #12,380 of 22,116
Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy these but first need help on which DAC/AMP to get for them. Right now I have the Fiio E10 with the Philips Fidelio X1 and the Ultrasone Pro 900.

I'm think to either buy the Aune T1 or the Schiit Magni/Modi. Which one would be better? Or is there maybe an even better option out there?

Thanks in advance!

Aug 23, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #12,381 of 22,116
Also, I just want to say that I switched from hd650 to these because I listen to mostly electronic. And OMG. I'm sitting here listening to Boards of Canada in my office, literally tears are in my eyes. Thank you Hifiman!!!! 

Hey what gain setting should i use on the he-400 with the fiio e09k? high or low

Aug 23, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #12,382 of 22,116
I just Jergpaded my HE-400s.
Thanks to Jerg for the mods.

After some months listening all the pads modes:

Jergpad Mod v2.0 > stock pleather > stock velours ... (IMHO)

The ‘VELOUR-TOP’ MOD is genius., pleather bass with the velour comfort.

Thanks again to Jerg.

PD: I feel my setup is complete, HE400 + Jergpad Mod + iDAC.

Aug 23, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #12,383 of 22,116
Quote:
What does the foam mod do? Can't seem to find a page that has all the mods. Also, does the jerg mod help the treble chill out a bit? Sometimes my ears hurt from these guys. 

What foam mod? The first step of the jerg mod helps tame the treble quite a bit. In order to do this mod, you must remove the foam ring.

Quote:
Also, I just want to say that I switched from hd650 to these because I listen to mostly electronic. And OMG. I'm sitting here listening to Boards of Canada in my office, literally tears are in my eyes. Thank you Hifiman!!!! 

Hey what gain setting should i use on the he-400 with the fiio e09k? high or low

I love Boards of Canada
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 23, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #12,384 of 22,116
Ok I just removed the foam part (not going for the full blown jergmod quite yet, as I don't have the velour pads). I'm just wondering why the manufacturer would stick the foam in there, if the treble (or sound in general) is better without it. Can anyone answer this question?

Aug 23, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #12,385 of 22,116
Quote:
Ok I just removed the foam part (not going for the full blown jergmod quite yet, as I don't have the velour pads). I'm just wondering why the manufacturer would stick the foam in there, if the treble (or sound in general) is better without it. Can anyone answer this question?

I remember someone mentioned that Hifiman probably stuck it there to help distance our ears from touching the driver. The pleather material compressed a lot when being worn. It's a pretty poor attempt imo by Hifiman, they just should have made the pads themselves thicker. But costs probably have something to do with it.

Aug 23, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #12,386 of 22,116
They assume that the peaky treble comes across as clear I suppose. Or conspiracy theorist would say that if this hp didn't have a bit of peaky treble it would compete with hp's more expensive in their own product line. 

Aug 23, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #12,387 of 22,116
Quote:
They assume that the peaky treble comes across as clear I suppose. Or conspiracy theorist would say that if this hp didn't have a bit of peaky treble it would compete with hp's more expensive in their own product line. 

I don't think the foam ring has much to do with the treble, but I could be wrong.

Aug 23, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #12,388 of 22,116
Quote:

The foam is there to add distance for your ears. Since there aren't many holes on the pleathers to begin with (only 4 tiny holes IIRC), the foam doesn't affect the sound quality as much as the change in distance does from removing it. For example, if the pads didn't have foam but were more firm, allowing for a similar distance between your ear and the driver as a stock pad with the foam, I would expect there to be hardly any sonic differences. The big differences are from cutting more holes in the pads.

Also, the velour top isn't necessary (IMO). It will help with comfort if you prefer velour to pleather though. Feel free to do the three remaining steps of the jerg mod with your stock pleathers, I highly recommend it.

Aug 23, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #12,389 of 22,116
Ok I just stuck the foam rings back in because the sound became congested. I think it has to do with the spacing of the ears and yeah it may impact treble somewhat, I didn't notice much. But removing the foam and thus placing the ears closer to the drivers DEFINITELY impacted the overall sound negatively. 

I would recommend not doing the foam mod ALONE. 

Aug 23, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #12,390 of 22,116
Quote:
Ok I just stuck the foam rings back in because the sound became congested. I think it has to do with the spacing of the ears and yeah it may impact treble somewhat, I didn't notice much. But removing the foam and thus placing the ears closer to the drivers DEFINITELY impacted the overall sound negatively. 

I would recommend not doing the foam mod ALONE. 

No you need to remove the foam and perform parts 1 and 4 of the jergmod.... Just do it trust me.
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back