**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 7, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #7,021 of 22,116
Quote:
Well, I'm going on the premise that we're all crazy. To people not obsessed with headphones like us, we are definitely crazy.
I haven't been here too long, but I've figured out that setting my sarcasm detector to "strict" when reading Wayne's posts is best.

Ah, you are a quick learner my friend. 

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #7,023 of 22,116
How about some comparison frequency response comparisons between the modded and stock pads?

I am surprised that those mods haven't gone beyond subjective impressions yet.

Jerg? JEEEEERRRG?

popcorn.gif

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #7,024 of 22,116
Quote:
It's crazy for the layperson though, just the concept of taking a product apart and mutilating parts of it based solely on trusting someone else's words.

Why would you overthink something good, when the worst thing that can happen is to ruin a 20 usd pad...
Ok don't set the pad on fire, or other crazy stuff, but things like increasing damping should really improve sound quality.

Never understood this way of life, but I myself tend to dive into projects. Not one of my crazy projects has failed, but I saved so much money along the way.

Feb 7, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #7,026 of 22,116
Quote:
How about some comparison frequency response comparisons between the modded and stock pads?

I am surprised that those mods haven't gone beyond subjective impressions yet.

Jerg? JEEEEERRRG?

popcorn.gif

I may very well send a pair over to purrin for measurements in the near future, right now I'm waiting on a new pair of pleathers from HFM I ordered, there are a few mod technique refinements that I've seen a few jergpad attempters do that I'd like to do as well before being satisfied enough to send a pair off.

I'd be more interested in purrin's impressions of it than the measurements TBH, mainly because with his measurements of HE400s + velours vs + pleathers, the differences are there in the CSDs but you can't infer anything more than that the two pads attenuate the FR of the driver differently - you can't really discern if one pad gives a cleaner sound or not from the graphs, even though clearly the velours do with any analytical listener.

Feb 7, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #7,028 of 22,116
I don't really need a graph to tell me what sounds better than what. Using the Jergpads I can definitely tell that the dip in the upper mid is raised a little as female vocals no longer sound "tizzy". I used a few songs in my library that I know sound really tizzy and thin with female vocals when using the velours, and with the jergpad it's almost completely fixed. Added bonus is that some of the sibilants is shaved off, but not completely. All these pads need now are just a strip of velour on the front and they're perfect.

Feb 7, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #7,030 of 22,116
Quote:
Sennheiser makes some of the best headphones no doubt. In terms of comfort, sound, and good looks.

"Dark" is a poor description for the HE-400s. They are much closer to what I consider a "bright" sound. They also have a great "attack", which has been rare in my experience. In making my first impressions of the phones, I found that they were outstanding with Jazz music. They are also quite amazing with classical, or any other typically "non-vocal" music. While many here focus on vocals (beautifully rendered, I might add), instrumental music is just awesome on them. When you are listening to vocal music, the mid-range will probably seem strongly emphasized (it did to my ears anyway). My Sennhesiers, by comparison, sounded similar, but the lack of transparency made them seem more "veiled" or "dark", if you will. High frequencies are much more strongly subdued, leaving the bass response to be the main source of fun in the phones.

I've not owned any Senn higher than the 595, but I would buy the 598 in a heartbeat and probably the 600 if I could find a deal. Having used Senn for years however, I am taking an extended leave of absence. The HE-400 have definitely been a Jack-of-All trades for me.

Thanks a lot. It was noted that the HE-400 has a dip around the high-mids where in comparison the Sennheisers bring the mids out in a more forward manner (which is the reason why I wanted to keep one of the senns as complimentary headphones). However you noted the HE-400 as being quite versatile. To me the 600 is also very versatile as well so I wonder if this might lead to using one headphone more while the other collects dust. I initially thought of using the 600 for a different flavor but it seems there is a slight possibility that the 600s are a bit similar in function to the 400s. Perhaps the 650 would be a bigger difference to use as complimentary head phones due to their strength of having such full mids?

Maybe I am thinking about this all wrong. Would everyone consider the hifiman sound and sennheiser sound so different that it is better to simply pick the sennheiser hp i prefer rather than trying to pick one to go with the he-400? I do like the 600s quite a lot and it seems many people have given praise to the combination either way :) sorry for all the questions. This is more or less my last one on the subject lol. 

Feb 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #7,031 of 22,116
Quote:
I like graphs because echoic memory sucks.

I agree with you, I'd like to have a graph that confirms the changes im hearing, but as long as Im sure of what im hearing then a graph isn't necessary for me. But yeah having plotted evidence would be nice.

Feb 7, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #7,032 of 22,116
For reference, here is the HE400 + velours compared to HE400 + pleathers, that was measured by purrin last year:

velours

pleathers

It's hard to interpret tangible differences other than the obvious FR differences, but of course most of us who have tried both types of pads know precisely how the sound differs between the two types.

Feb 7, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #7,033 of 22,116
Quote:
You tell me, are you telling me that pads don't contribute to sound quality?

I am pad modder, but I realize its not all roses and sunshine. However there is a lot of room for improvement in the hifiman pads.

I asked you sense you are a pad modder.  

I don't pad roll, so I wouldn't know.  That's why I asked.  I simply put the pads on that fell most comfortable to me and go with that.  So the question is original question is back to you.  Is this objective or subjective?

Feb 7, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #7,034 of 22,116
Quote:
I may very well send a pair over to purrin for measurements in the near future, right now I'm waiting on a new pair of pleathers from HFM I ordered, there are a few mod technique refinements that I've seen a few jergpad attempters do that I'd like to do as well before being satisfied enough to send a pair off.

I'd be more interested in purrin's impressions of it than the measurements TBH, mainly because with his measurements of HE400s + velours vs + pleathers, the differences are there in the CSDs but you can't infer anything more than that the two pads attenuate the FR of the driver differently - you can't really discern if one pad gives a cleaner sound or not from the graphs, even though clearly the velours do with any analytical listener.

Why??

His impression is just another subjective view.  Unless, you take his subjective impression as objective.  Measurement are the only thing that we can call objective at this point.  TBH to my they are still flawed.  But anyway.

Feb 7, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #7,035 of 22,116
Quote:

Why??

His impression is just another subjective view.  Unless, you take his subjective impression as objective.  Measurement are the only thing that we can call objective at this point.  TBH to my they are still flawed.  But anyway.

Because I'm not a strictly "in objective we trust" person I guess; I respect and value the subjective impressions from people who actually try to listen with as little bias as possible, especially those who have versed enough impressions for me to have a fairly good understanding of their hearing acuity and preferences.

Don't judge me bro.

(Also I do agree that measurements, even fairly advanced stuff like CSDs, are still far from enough to show certain critical aspects of sound; they are not flawed, just insufficient IMO)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back