**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 7, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #7,006 of 22,116
For my 400th post I think it's time to "announce" I've placed my order on a HE-400
beerchug.gif

Feb 7, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #7,010 of 22,116
Hey Wayne

Are you done with your 50 linear feet of stitching (or something similar) ? You were going to take on my project for the pads on the HE-400. I need to start collecting items for my pad-fi :)

Feb 7, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #7,013 of 22,116
Quote:

I have the HE-400 & had the HD600 for some time (only reason I sold the HD600 recently was cause I moved up to the HD800).  I'd say the 600 & 400 are very complimentary.  As far as the HE-400 being neutral.. it's not.. the bass is very linear, but it is slightly emphasized.  Then there's the shallow 'dip' between 1K & 8K (which gives it the signature 'dark' character).. and finally you have the emphasized mid/upper treble.  The thing is, all this coloration is done so tastefully that the HE-400 seems to possess the kind of versatility that many 'neutral' phones are renowned for.  Going from the HE-400 to the HD600, you lose some of that speedy bass that orthos are known for.. but you gain better midrange transparency & accuracy.  The HD600's treble might seem more exaggerated than it really is until your ears adjust (since the HE-400 have a sparkly, open treble response).

Thanks a lot for the description. It gave me a really good idea of what to expect from the HE-400. From all the things I have read they seem like really amazing head phones especially for a lot of the music I listen to. I'll be looking to pick one up sometime soon. Got to find some good deals so the wallet doesn't hurt as much :p  

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #7,018 of 22,116
Quote:
Thanks for your input. It's really re-assuring if they can do Jazz great too. Do you feel the HE-400 handle jazz better than the HD600's? If they can do those more it seems like there is less reason to hang on to the HD600 D: 

Thanks for your advice. I would consider those but I definitely do like the sennheiser a lot. I'll take a look into it though :) Would you feel the HD600 & HE-400 combination cover more ground than the HD650? I was a bit confused if the two headphones were both dark to the point of being too similar or maybe the HE-400 and HD600 are both closer in terms of sound characteristics. I do find the bass to be more crisp and clear in the hd600 over the hd650 and it seems the HE-400 have a pretty neutral sound to an extent. 

Sennheiser makes some of the best headphones no doubt. In terms of comfort, sound, and good looks.

"Dark" is a poor description for the HE-400s. They are much closer to what I consider a "bright" sound. They also have a great "attack", which has been rare in my experience. In making my first impressions of the phones, I found that they were outstanding with Jazz music. They are also quite amazing with classical, or any other typically "non-vocal" music. While many here focus on vocals (beautifully rendered, I might add), instrumental music is just awesome on them. When you are listening to vocal music, the mid-range will probably seem strongly emphasized (it did to my ears anyway). My Sennhesiers, by comparison, sounded similar, but the lack of transparency made them seem more "veiled" or "dark", if you will. High frequencies are much more strongly subdued, leaving the bass response to be the main source of fun in the phones.

I've not owned any Senn higher than the 595, but I would buy the 598 in a heartbeat and probably the 600 if I could find a deal. Having used Senn for years however, I am taking an extended leave of absence. The HE-400 have definitely been a Jack-of-All trades for me.

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #7,019 of 22,116
Quote:
I don't think pad-fi is crazy. Apart from the source and the drivers themselfs, the pads are the biggest contributor to sound.

Cables on the other hand...

Well, I'm going on the premise that we're all crazy. To people not obsessed with headphones like us, we are definitely crazy.
Quote:
Huh, I thought Pad-fi was to do with the ear pads?? It's hard to detect sarcasm through text sometimes.

I haven't been here too long, but I've figured out that setting my sarcasm detector to "strict" when reading Wayne's posts is best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back