HiBy R6 III (Gen 3) Android digital audio player, Dual ES9038Q2M, Class A / AB amplification switch, Snapdragon 665, Open Android 12 OS, DSD512 / PCM768
Apr 6, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #1,471 of 1,511
Getting crackling when adjusting some settings like dark theme toggle, also sometimes turning the screen on and off I hear it soon after turning music off, occasionally occurs in the middle of some songs randomly.

Apart from the crackling problem the player sounds really good tho, I’d like to solve the issue

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 1:37 AM Post #1,472 of 1,511
I tried out poweramp app and it seems it allows me to scan through a single song unlike the Hiby player so I guess it’s just app dependent. I was having issues getting the app working properly though because when I skip songs it does some weird things…

When I press next track it will repeat part of the song I was just listening to then it will go to the next track, but it also then pauses the sound for half a second just after the next track starts, and then resumes as normal.

I changed a bunch of settings in poweramp to no avail. I don’t know if there’s something wrong with the device or if this app is just tricky to set up. At first it had no sound output at all and I found a setting that had defaulted to speaker output.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2024 at 2:36 AM Post #1,473 of 1,511
Getting crackling when adjusting some settings like dark theme toggle, also sometimes turning the screen on and off I hear it soon after turning music off, occasionally occurs in the middle of some songs randomly.

Apart from the crackling problem the player sounds really good tho, I’d like to solve the issue
Have you turned on any audio processing effects in app or in system?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 7, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #1,474 of 1,511
Have you turned on any audio processing effects in app or in system?
Yes, MSEB and/or PEQ, but the problem also happens without any turned on. I noticed it improved by turning off battery saver, so now there’s no crack sound when turning the screen on/off but still getting it changing tracks, sometimes it gets quite loud much louder than the music volume. Also the occasional random crack sound in the middle of a song. Also seems to happen when suddenly moving the device

Apr 8, 2024 at 4:45 AM Post #1,475 of 1,511
Yes, MSEB and/or PEQ, but the problem also happens without any turned on. I noticed it improved by turning off battery saver, so now there’s no crack sound when turning the screen on/off but still getting it changing tracks, sometimes it gets quite loud much louder than the music volume. Also the occasional random crack sound in the middle of a song. Also seems to happen when suddenly moving the device
I have called your case to the attention of other developers in the team.

The quickest way to rule out any software problems, though, is a firmware reset, if you are okay with that.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Apr 8, 2024 at 5:26 AM Post #1,476 of 1,511
Hey R6III owners!
Does your volume wheel make a loud clicky noise when turning it?
Mine was very smooth and silent and all of a sudden it became choppy and loudly clicking.
For hiby service it is a non issue but I find it quite annoying especially as it has not been like this when i bought it not so long ago.

PS: I now got offered to send it back for repair. (on my own cost ofc:rolling_eyes:)
Funny how it is now a case for repair when it first was not an issue at all

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 6:24 AM Post #1,477 of 1,511
I have called your case to the attention of other developers in the team.

The quickest way to rule out any software problems, though, is a firmware reset, if you are okay with that.
Ok thanks. Not sure if you saw my comment about the poweramp app I don’t think that’s normal as I couldn’t find any info about my specific problem.

Just to mention the cracking sound when changing tracks is more emphasised when sample rate of the song changes, sometimes really bad when I get a random dsd track in the mix

Apr 8, 2024 at 7:20 AM Post #1,478 of 1,511
Is it factory reset in the menu?

Apr 8, 2024 at 7:54 AM Post #1,479 of 1,511

Apr 8, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #1,480 of 1,511
I've been using the DAP with Poweramp and been very happy with it. Sounds good, looks good.
The only issue I have is when I update the SD card and re-scan into Powerapp, it's a mess. I can see eveything (~5000 tracks) in folders, but only a few albums and artists recognised.
I've done a real thorough clean up of the tags and folder structure and there's no difference between the folders that are read correctly and those that aren't.
So, does anyone have any tips for updating Poweramp and improving the scanning process?
TIA.

Apr 8, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #1,481 of 1,511
Hey R6III owners!
Does your volume wheel make a loud clicky noise when turning it?
Mine was very smooth and silent and all of a sudden it became choppy and loudly clicking.
For hiby service it is a non issue but I find it quite annoying especially as it has not been like this when i bought it not so long ago.

PS: I now got offered to send it back for repair. (on my own cost ofc:rolling_eyes:)
Funny how it is now a case for repair when it first was not an issue at all
That's interesting. My wheel was loudly clicking from the beginning. I was somehow shocked as I unpacked the device and turned the wheel because I was thinking who needs this so loud. It is quite disturbing for others in the room especially at night.

I asked a while ago here about this and because nobody answered I thought i was normal like this. Now you say it was silent at your device at the beginning.

When did you buy your device and how long was it silent?

@Joe Bloggs : How can this be silent on the beginning and then gets so loud? My wheel was loud from the beginning. Is there a fix?
Thank you.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #1,482 of 1,511
Thanks. I’ll try that tonight. Should I update the player after resetting? And just to clarify, should I be getting any clicking/cracking at all?

Ive been reading some old posts and it seems some people are getting at least a slight clicking noise when skipping tracks and some aren’t getting any noises at all.

Also, is the slight clicking when adjusting the volume normal or is this a fault too? My Walkman would make a similar noise but it was much less pronounced. Same with skipping tracks, the Walkman would make a slight click but the Hiby clicks sound louder and more frequent.

Another thing I noticed is sometimes when skipping tracks the Hiby will momentarily repeat a part of the song that I’m skipping quite loudly before it goes to the next track. Like it’s stuttering.

Interested to know if some people here with this player experience no clicking/cracking noises whatsoever…

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #1,483 of 1,511
That's interesting. My wheel was loudly clicking from the beginning. I was somehow shocked as I unpacked the device and turned the wheel because I was thinking who needs this so loud. It is quite disturbing for others in the room especially at night.

I asked a while ago here about this and because nobody answered I thought i was normal like this. Now you say it was silent at your device at the beginning.

@Joe Bloggs : How can this be silent on the beginning and then gets so loud? My wheel was loud from the beginning. Is there a fix?
Thank you.
The physical clicking of the volume knob is normal. Watch any YouTube video they all click

Apr 8, 2024 at 8:53 PM Post #1,484 of 1,511

Thank you.
Yes the wheel can be serviced, if it is too loud. You might need to correspond with sevice@hiby.com or your local seller to confirm this "too-loudness" with e.g. video evidence. Sorry I did not see your question at the time.

Where did you buy the unit from?

Thanks. I’ll try that tonight. Should I update the player after resetting?

Resetting the player does not roll back previously applied firmware updates.

Apr 9, 2024 at 3:15 AM Post #1,485 of 1,511

Thank you.
Only used it for 2 months and not even heavily.

I know R6III has a striking price to performance ratio but to be honest I would have prefered to pay ~100 bucks more for a better screen and better volume wheel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back