Originally Posted by dw6928 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Dan has to be nominated for the Headfi Hall of Fame

Yikes!
blink.gif
...thanks.

May 20, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #2,118 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by yrh0413 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Asr, are you going to write a comprehensive review on the CanAmp?
biggrin.gif

Time will have to tell on that.
wink.gif

In the meantime, more pictures anyone? I love taking pictures!
smily_headphones1.gif

heed_int_01.jpg

heed_int_02.jpg

heed_int_03.jpg

heed_int_04.jpg

heed_int_05.jpg

heed_int_06.jpg

heed_int_07.jpg

heed_int_08.jpg

heed_int_09.jpg

May 20, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #2,122 of 2,784
mrarroyo;2970848 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Time will have to tell on that.
wink.gif

In the meantime, more pictures anyone? I love taking pictures!
smily_headphones1.gif

heed_int_05.jpg

QUOTE]

Our transformers look quite different.

I think this perfectly illustrates what Alpar addressed in his open letter to the group, a portion of which I have included here:

..."Which brings me to the matter that has caused us the most concern: the idea that CanAmps delivered today are somehow fundamentally different (or lesser even) than those that had been shipped nearly one year ago when Mike (better known as PinkFloyd) first contacted me and requested a review sample. One member here has gone so far as to speak about the need for an “investigation”.

I have discussed this at great length with Zsolt and he assures me that the design remains absolutely unchanged for better than the 3 years we have been producing the CanAmp. This of course extends to the components and their respective values and specifications. Zsolt continued to explain that there is always the possibility that may be slight cosmetic differences when parts are obtained from different suppliers and even these parts are subject to change in appearance without notice.

As a small manufacturer, these are simply the realities we have to live with. If a supplier delivers a transformer in black with wires protruding one time but in blue without the next, we are hardly in a position to argue with him about it so long as he can assure us that their values are exactly the same. We have never claimed to use exotic or “audiophile-grade” components, but the ones we do use are thouroughly tested for consistancy, both on the bench and in the finished product."...

May 20, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #2,124 of 2,784
Quote:

Some of the easier mods:
- remove the NE5532 opamp and solder a dip8 socket for ease of opamp rolling
- swap the power caps with larger value ones
- swap the 4 diodes to ultrafast
- swap the remaining 4 caps to audiophile-rated caps
- swap all 7 film caps with polyprops

(the above mentioned mods are called: the infamous PinkFloyd CanAmp mods LOL!)

Installing an IEC inlet is possible, but that involves drilling and hacking the backplate and installing a new psu to replace the stock snubber psu.

p/s: thanks for your review on comparing GS-1 and the CanAmp. So basically the CanAmp is more musical than the GS-1?

I will not say the CanAmp is more musical than the GS-1 but I would say it appears to be a better match with the HD650. I think the GS-1 has bigger soundstage and more detail but its natural laid back sound together with the HD650 is a little bit to much.

I am receiving tomorrow a pair of Denon's AH-D5000. I am hoping these will be a match with my GS-1.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
May 21, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #2,125 of 2,784
if i'm looking at those photos correctly, it would appear that the transformer in the "earlier" canamps weren't made for the PCB as you can see the transformer has had to be hot-wired to the circuit

whereas the blue transformer sits pin perfect on the board and all of the of the connections are soldered directly on to the PCB with no use of hook up wire.

FYI my canamp has the blue transformer and is 230v instead of the 115v and is the same Avisor brand as Asr's and has no hook up wires for the transformer at all.

Just speculating here but it would seem that the transformer seen in current Canamps was the one made for the original canamp? Anyone with a REALLY early canamp care to chip in, there was a member in one of the earlier pages who'd owned a canamp for several years maybe he can take a few shots...

May 21, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #2,127 of 2,784
Quote:

mrarroyo's CanAmp is from the earlier batch. If i remember correctly it comes with a black faceplate without any wordings and a black knob too.

true, but mrarroyo hasn't owned it for more than a year, whereas i believe the canamp had been around for about 3 years before this thread was created and the frenzy hit Heed audio

May 21, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #2,129 of 2,784
Quote:

guys i got a question here: Are the caps near the opamp output decoupling caps? If not what is the purpose of those caps?

i believe they're DC blocking caps on the INPUT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back