Heed CanAmp
May 16, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #2,086 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzyorange /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got this used from another head-fier. He said he basically left it on for 3 months straight, so it should be properly burned in. So far it sounds very good. The edges of bass notes seem better defined than the tube amp I'm coming from.

are you using the 650s w/ the Heed?

May 16, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #2,087 of 2,784
Yes I am using the HD650 with stock cable. Source is EMU 0404 USB line outs (for those not familiar with computer audio, the EMU is a better DAC than you might think. Uses AKM4396 DAC, same as found in the $2000 SlimDevices Transporter.)

Just finished up 2 fun hours of listening, and if it wasn't for having to head out, I could easily listen all afternoon. Thought I'd post some initial impressions:

1. Physically the unit is built sturdy and attractive, and has the perfect form factor for desk use. It's almost like Heed took the good ole' Greek golden ratio into account when building the chassis.

2. The bass has excellent extension down low. With the HD650, there is more impact and slam with bass notes. This is a GREAT amplifier for hip-hop, rap, and related genres.

3. One of my criteria for judging equipment is how convincing a well-recorded cello solo sounds. Having played the cello for many years, I've found that capturing the tone and body of the cello is a hard task for audio equipment. For example, auditions of the K701 and SR-225 playing cello were both unsatisfactory. The details were there, but the tone and body were not. I'm happy to say the Canamp with HD650 does a solid job of reproducing the cello tone, but it's still not completely true to real life.

4. The soundstage is wide but seemingly flat, instruments and vocals are presented in a 2-dimensional band from L to R. The feeling of "depth" and multiple "layers" is not comparable to the EC-01. For example, an well-recorded A Capella CD of mine has 6 voices in a staggered formation, with 3 singers in front and 3 in back. The group uses this physical location to their advantage in creating various vocal effects (brilliant stuff IMO). With the Canamp, it felt like all 6 voices were standing in a straight line, whereas with the EC-01 the rear row of voices are clearly positioned behind the front row. The EC-01 also captured the "feel" and approximate size of the chamber the tracks were recorded in, while with the Canamp there were fewer cues as to what kind of venue the singers were singing in.

5. The Canamp is GREAT with "wall-of-sound" type music, where the power of the music comes from a "wall" of distorted guitars and percussion, and enjoyment does not depending on specific spatial imaging. IMO a lot of rock and hip-hop songs fall into this category.

6. I know musical memory is not reliable, but this Canamp is a signficiant upgrade, IMO, over the only other solid state amp I've owned, the Headfive. It is too early to tell if it will be an upgrade over the EC-01. I plan to spend a week with both amps, and then sell the one I can live without.

May 16, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #2,091 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by djbnh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this thread has more and more interesting turns.

Agreed

Quote:

Originally Posted by djbnh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for those passing through comments made by "birdie"s. I don't know what to make of those comments, seeing they are second-hand, and not verifiable nor attributable to any manufacturer or dealer at this time. Perhaps the so-called "birdie" might consider stepping up to the thread and personally addressing Heed CanAmp owners, prospective owners, and prospective bashers about the seeming confusion.

So done.

I wrote a note to the US distributor (Profundo) about some of the concerns on this forum regarding the CanAmp. I sent a link to the most recent pages and he went through some of the posts and forwarded my note to Heed Audio.

I think it was on Monday that he called me by cell, while waiting for a flight to Europe. Once there, he'll be meeting with our friends at Heed Audio, their German distributor and I think, the distributor for the UK (I don't remember exactly).
I can't think of any other distributor I deal with that has been so attentive and helpful as Bob from Profundo. That he would take a minute between fights to call from a busy airport to address my concerns speaks volumes. In fact, I count myself very lucky to deal with him, Heed Audio and for the past year or so, many of you here at Head-Fi. Gosh, I love my job!

But I digress.

It was in this conversation that I was told that Heed responded to my forwarded note almost immediately, saying (paraphrasing) that the CanAmp that is being shipped today is the same as the CanAmp from a year ago and in fact, the same as what they have been offering even two years ago.
I asked how we should address this here and was told to wait for them to put something together that either they will post or will pass through us for me to post for them.

It seems to me that Dexdexter has an email into them as well so we'll see what comes of that too.

I wanted to wait before posting anything, as I would rather be better informed than I am at present. I also always fear to appear improper in this forum, as I'm a dealer and some may look to anything I say as suspect, but Id like to think that others, those who have dealt with me all along, will know better.

I really like dropping in here form time to time, to see what's going on.
I really don't expect EVERYONE that has bought a CanAmp to keep it. No matter how good a component might be, regardless of price, there is still one uncontrolled variable: what you like.

I, for one, am driven by tonality.
There was an interview with David Chesky in Stereophile a couple of years ago, I'm sure it can be had from their archives online. He addresses this same issue when it comes to his recording company, Chesky Records, saying that - in his opinion, a lot of labels have forgotten about getting tonality right in their recordings.

Musicians will go through great pains to shop for an instrument that sounds "right" to them. Action and feel come into play as well of course, but it's in its tonality that the musician finds his voice. I've been through this shopping for guitars.
In the case of the cello, mentioned on this page, I'm sure Dizzyorange might agree with me that in addition to the tonal quality that the cello itself has to give, so too, are agonizing choices over which bow to buy.
I think it's impressive when a recording gets the "wood" resonance of the body nice and the "air" around the instrument without loosing the textural character of the bow on the strings. Compare Janos Starker "J.S. Bach - Suites For Solo Cello", RCA Red Seal 09026-61436-2 to the Sony Music recording "The Cello Suites Yo-Yo Ma Inspired By Bach". IMO, both are very good recordings but both are also very different.

Everyone has his or her hot button, right?

Tonality, detail, spatial queues, noise floor (or lack thereof) all these things come into play but some appeal more so than others and it's on those things that decisions are made.

The music source that's used is to me, vitally important. I see that many here are using computer sound cards. I'm woefully lost in this area but I see great things going on with streaming audio from a hard drive to some sort of unit like the Slim Devices products or the Sonos system, etc. These are exciting times for music enthusiasts.
The key is to get the music from as good a source as budget allows and then, move the signal down and out, either into the room or into your cans.

If you can sit, listen to and enjoy your music without getting annoyed by something you can't put your finger on but you tire of the system and need to turn it down or off, something is not working right and you likely need to make a change. But I should not have to point this out to anyone here. You guys all know this.

I like what Mr. Arroyo pointed out, as it was elegant in its simplicity about not everyone liking chocolate. I can't imagine for the life of me anyone who wouldn't literally like chocolate... one of the world's little wonders... but I get his point when applied to tastes and preferences.

I can see how someone new to this group might have popped in say, around it's 60 to 80% progression and might have thought there was a hug fest going on in here over the Heed. Ok, fine. Just a bunch of end users enjoying their purchases and comparing notes. Nothing wrong with that.

As for more recent posts of findings to the contrary, there is nothing wrong with that either. Dissent and debate.
Everyone here knows the Earth's spin on-axis is not at the Heed Factory - even though a lot of really nice people are there. And if their products appeal to you, then great. If not, thanks for trying them out. No hard feelings, this is what makes this a hobby. But at least keep the gadget long enough for full burn in - yes, they are cold blooded little critters and the time it takes for them to really turn the corner and bloom has been stated here again and again and is very real.

Well... the bird has chirped (and then, some).
I'm sorry for the long post but you wanted the little "birdie" to step up. So, there you go be careful of what you wish for. Ha!

I will pass along any news I get from Heed or Profundo as soon as I hear from them.

Thanks!

Dan

May 17, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #2,092 of 2,784
I've received a brief reply from Alpar Huszti reiterating that the design of the CanAmp, including the specs and values of its components, has remained essentially unchanged since its introduction well over three years ago.

He went on to express his regret at being unable to go into further detail in reply to the other inquiries he has received from Head-Fi members, since he was busy preparing for the High End Show in Germany this weekend, not to mention the 8-hour drive from Budapest to Munich that he and Zsolt had to make earlier today.

But he also said that he intended to catch up with the recent developments here on the thread, and write a more comprehensive reply for me to pass along, hopefully by tomorrow afternoon at the latest.

May 17, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #2,093 of 2,784
Wow! I am speechless! I have NEVER seen a solid state amp cause this much controversey!!
rolleyes.gif

May 17, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #2,094 of 2,784
Well said Dan! I know it's been said many times but this guy is a gentleman and a professional and always pleasant to deal with.

On another note, now that I'm finally listening to the Canamp for the first time, what better thing to do then read the WHOLE thread from the beginning... and... I love how Morph201's sole purpose in this thread is to make fun of the silliness of Canamp owners hahaha. Very MST3K, gave me a good laugh
rs1smile.gif

Now I want an Opera. Then I can join the Heed wisecrackin' fun
icon10.gif

May 17, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #2,095 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow! I am speechless! I have NEVER seen a solid state amp cause this much controversey!!
rolleyes.gif

It is not controve.. (ah shucks I can't spell it!!!) Anyways it is interest.
icon10.gif

May 17, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #2,096 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rolleyes.gif

Well, when people (not naming names, mind you, Morph) begin speculating on public forums that a product has been intentionally downgraded to increase profit margins, or that quality control has been sacrificed to get said product "out the door", manufacturers tend to take that rather seriously.

May 17, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #2,097 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, when people (not naming names, mind you, Morph) begin speculating on public forums that a product has been intentionally downgraded to increase profit margins, or that quality control has been sacrificed to get said product "out the door", manufacturers tend to take that rather seriously.

I admit I made references to "..rush to get out the door"... in posts 2002 & 2011. I apologize if that was taken as fact or an accusation, I was merely reiterating the fears and concerns people had due to 'quality and sonic inconsistencies', which merely could have been people hearing differently. Please, anyone disregard those sentences.

May 17, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #2,099 of 2,784
hey all, anyone tried a heed with a darth beyer? and how do they sound?

May 17, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #2,100 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've received a brief reply from Alpar Huszti reiterating that the design of the CanAmp, including the specs and values of its components, has remained essentially unchanged since its introduction well over three years ago.

He went on to express his regret at being unable to go into further detail in reply to the other inquiries he has received from Head-Fi members, since he was busy preparing for the High End Show in Germany this weekend, not to mention the 8-hour drive from Budapest to Munich that he and Zsolt had to make earlier today.

But he also said that he intended to catch up with the recent developments here on the thread, and write a more comprehensive reply for me to pass along, hopefully by tomorrow afternoon at the latest.

revision to canamp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back