Heed CanAmp
May 24, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #2,146 of 2,784
I've now auditioned the CanAmp for 1 week, and my impressions have remained largely intact from my previous post (on page 105 or so of this thread). To clarify, this amp easily has over 1000 hours of run-time by the previous owner (probably closer to 2000), so burn-in should not be a factor.

Overall, this is an excellent amplifier, with a deep, powerful bass response as it's greatest strength. However, there are some areas where it falls behind the incumbent amp (the EC-01), namely the ability to create a well-defined 3D headstage, and to sharply focus (or "image") instruments or voices within that headstage. There is also something musical about the Eddie Current that the CanAmp can't seem to capture. It's hard to define, except to say that when I take my mind off of analyzing the music, the EC-01 makes me forget I'm listening to an audio system and just sucks me into the music. However, the genre of Rap is clearly better suited to the CanAmp, no question about it.

So the CanAmp goes on sale for essentially the same reason that Mr. Arroyo sold his. But don't let that dissuade you from buying it
smily_headphones1.gif

May 24, 2007 at 8:36 AM Post #2,147 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Graham, if you haven't already pulled the trigger on the Rega, you might contact Tony at Needles & Spins, who sells the CanAmp via mail order in the UK.

Although Rega make many fine products (and I've owned a few in the past), the Ear, while useful enough within the confines of their range, is, IMO, not one of their finest efforts. I had one for a few weeks about three years ago but I ended up returning it once I discovered that it wasn't terribly better than the headphone-out on my NAD 314 integrated.

Having owned a CanAmp since January, I'm confident that it is in another class altogether to my recollection of the Rega...unless the Ear has been substantially upgraded in the interim.

Although I have contacted needles and spins and various other dealers both here and in the States as well as the distributors, not ONE has had the courtesy to even reply. If I didnt have you guys to tell me otherwise I'd seriously doubt that the canamp even exists...

However I know when I'm beaten, I shall buy something else..
mad.gif

Thanks for your help

Graham
UK

May 24, 2007 at 9:44 AM Post #2,148 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by fallen dragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although I have contacted needles and spins and various other dealers both here and in the States as well as the distributors, not ONE has had the courtesy to even reply. If I didnt have you guys to tell me otherwise I'd seriously doubt that the canamp even exists...

mad.gif

Thanks for your help

Graham
UK

that's really unfortunate that the service you've experience has deterred you from getting a chance to try the Canamp. However there are at least a couple of guys in the UK with Canamps, so they did exist at some stage in the past =\

May 24, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #2,149 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzyorange /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've now auditioned the CanAmp for 1 week, and my impressions have remained largely intact from my previous post (on page 105 or so of this thread). To clarify, this amp easily has over 1000 hours of run-time by the previous owner (probably closer to 2000), so burn-in should not be a factor.

Overall, this is an excellent amplifier, with a deep, powerful bass response as it's greatest strength. However, there are some areas where it falls behind the incumbent amp (the EC-01), namely the ability to create a well-defined 3D headstage, and to sharply focus (or "image") instruments or voices within that headstage. There is also something musical about the Eddie Current that the CanAmp can't seem to capture. It's hard to define, except to say that when I take my mind off of analyzing the music, the EC-01 makes me forget I'm listening to an audio system and just sucks me into the music. However, the genre of Rap is clearly better suited to the CanAmp, no question about it.

So the CanAmp goes on sale for essentially the same reason that Mr. Arroyo sold his. But don't let that dissuade you from buying it
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not listening!! you can't make me

May 24, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #2,150 of 2,784
Quote:

mad.gif

Thanks for your help

Graham
UK

Graham,

I'm so sorry you've had such a rotten time of it trying to source a CanAmp in the UK. Generally speaking, their UK distributor has a pretty good reputation, and Tony from N&S also, so I don't know what's going on there these days to make things so difficult.

But I do know from my dealings with Alpar Huszti, Heed Audio's marketing director, that if you drop an e-mail to him at: a.huszti@heedaudio.hu, that he will respond to you without fail, and in a timely fashion, if you're at all still interested.

Best, Dex

May 24, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #2,151 of 2,784
Quote:

mad.gif

Thanks for your help

Graham
UK

Damn, that sucks. When i orderd mine from there they had to call me as they were out of stock on an interconnect to arrange an alternative (a free upgrade as it happened) on the friday afternoon, and i had my amp and IC on saturday morning.

May 24, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #2,152 of 2,784
Hi Graham,

Sorry to see that this has been so frustrating of an experience for you.

Actually, I posted right away about your inquiry so please don't throw a dark stare at the US dealers. I posted the note from below as soon as I saw your first post.

Though I don't believe you've contacted me directly, I don't know that it would make sense for me to order a 220V amp for you, wait for them to send it to me along with my 110V amps and then, send one to you.... just a very LONG way around the block to get next door. Though I did this for a few people early on, it just has made better sense to forward the sale to the factory. So, that's what I've been doing.

PM me with your email address and I'll forward your post to Heed myself. They have been busy with a Hi-Fi Show this past week, along with most of their dealers and distributors in Europe but I'm sure we'll get a note from them for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbird Audio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Graham and welcome!

You might want to check out the distributor in the UK. They will tell you where your closest dealer is located and I'm sure, if there is no one within a reasonable drive, one of them will gladly ship one to your doorstep. Check here:

United Kingdom

TSOURCE
the loft studio
9 knowles hill road
newton abbot
devon
TQ12 2PH
Tel.: 01803 226104
Fax: 01803 226109
mobile: 07966 039730
eMail: robert@tsource.co.uk
Web: www.tsource.co.uk

Good luck with that!

Dan

Quote:

mad.gif

Thanks for your help

Graham
UK

May 25, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #2,154 of 2,784
I ordered a CanAmp last September received it in November. In light of the posts over the past few weeks, I thought that I might share my experience.

After I placed my order, Dan at Blackbird did an excellent job of keeping me up to date on the on the status of delays in my order. One of the reasons was a transformer availability problem and that an alternate source would be used. I expressed concern that the amp might not sound as good as the originals that Pinky and Mr. Arroyo had raved about if the transformer was different. I was assured that it would be just as good as the original.

Then I was notified of yet another delay, the reason given was that the pc board had to be respun to accommodate the new transformer since it had a different pinout. Again, I expressed concern that the new pc board layout might adversely affect the sound especially if the new fab is made by a different board house that uses cheap material like 1/2oz copper or something. Again, I was reassured that it would be just as good as the original.

The importer had recommended that I cancel my order and Dan refund my deposit since my concerns would "taint my impressions", but I asked Dan to keep my order open. I received my CanAmp in November, it sounded good -not great - but good.

After a few weeks, I ordered all the parts to perform the Pink Floyd mod and then some hoping to make the amp even better. After I received the parts, I opened up the amp to start modding... When I saw the bottom of the pc board I was surprised to say the least. The pc board had been drilled out to accommodate the transformer pins so the transformer could be installed, and the transformer pins had been bent over and tack soldered to traces to make contact rather than soldered to solder pads. The transformer in my CanAmp definitely did not fit in the pc board without significant rework. I thought that the last delay in my order was for a pc board that the new transformer would fit in... well guess what- it didn't! NOT COOL!

There was a thread of a wire jumpering the primary and one of the high current secondary transformer windings was bent over and tacked to a thin trace rather than jumping it to the heavy section of the trace that connects to the filter cap where it should have gone.

A jpg of the "rework" is attached to this post, the picture is of the CanAmp as I received it BEFORE I ever touched it with a slodering iron.

It does sound better but not great.

Dan at Blackbird was polite and helpful throughout the transaction, I never notified him of my findings after I opened the CanAmp although I should have. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Dan again... just not anything made by Heed.

May 25, 2007 at 6:28 AM Post #2,155 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered a CanAmp last September received it in November. In light of the posts over the past few weeks, I thought that I might share my experience.

After I placed my order, Dan at Blackbird did an excellent job of keeping me up to date on the on the status of delays in my order. One of the reasons was a transformer availability problem and that an alternate source would be used. I expressed concern that the amp might not sound as good as the originals that Pinky and Mr. Arroyo had raved about if the transformer was different. I was assured that it would be just as good as the original.

Then I was notified of yet another delay, the reason given was that the pc board had to be respun to accommodate the new transformer since it had a different pinout. Again, I expressed concern that the new pc board layout might adversely affect the sound especially if the new fab is made by a different board house that uses cheap material like 1/2oz copper or something. Again, I was reassured that it would be just as good as the original.

The importer had recommended that I cancel my order and Dan refund my deposit since my concerns would "taint my impressions", but I asked Dan to keep my order open. I received my CanAmp in November, it sounded good -not great - but good.

After a few weeks, I ordered all the parts to perform the Pink Floyd mod and then some hoping to make the amp even better. After I received the parts, I opened up the amp to start modding... When I saw the bottom of the pc board I was surprised to say the least. The pc board had been drilled out to accommodate the transformer pins so the transformer could be installed, and the transformer pins had been bent over and tack soldered to traces to make contact rather than soldered to solder pads. The transformer in my CanAmp definitely did not fit in the pc board without significant rework. I thought that the last delay in my order was for a pc board that the new transformer would fit in... well guess what- it didn't! NOT COOL!

There was a thread of a wire jumpering the primary and one of the high current secondary transformer windings was bent over and tacked to a thin trace rather than jumping it to the heavy section of the trace that connects to the filter cap where it should have gone.

A jpg of the "rework" is attached to this post, the picture is of the CanAmp as I received it BEFORE I ever touched it with a slodering iron.

Dan at Blackbird was polite and helpful throughout the transaction, I never notified him of my findings after I opened the CanAmp although I should have. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Dan again... just not anything made by Heed.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...postcount=2121 does it look like the photo at the bottom? If so it confirms my suspicion(s)... but all the latests canamps have the right transformer for the board (blue avisor brand) as expressed in this post:

Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if i'm looking at those photos correctly, it would appear that the transformer in the "earlier" canamps weren't made for the PCB as you can see the transformer has had to be hot-wired to the circuit

whereas the blue transformer sits pin perfect on the board and all of the of the connections are soldered directly on to the PCB with no use of hook up wire.

May 25, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #2,156 of 2,784
Gosh, John, I'm simply at a loss for words. I'm very sorry to learn of this.
I have forwarded this post. Let me see what comes of this.

Dan

Quote:

May 25, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #2,157 of 2,784
Quote:

Hi John

Did your Canamp have hook up wires to the LED so the board could easily be removed, or was the LED soldered directly to the board, discouraging its removal and the view of the other side?

I received my Canamp 4 months after you received yours. To say that I was less than impressed with it would be putting it mildly. I was extremely disappointed that it didn't live up to the evaluations of the original posters in this thread and sold it.

I am now beginning to think that this was perhaps the reason why my reaction to the Heed Canamp was so different from Pinky and Mr Arroyo's.

I would also like to add that I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Dan again either, he was great to deal with and I recommend him highly.

USG

May 25, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #2,159 of 2,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, when people (not naming names, mind you, Morph) begin speculating on public forums that a product has been intentionally downgraded to increase profit margins, or that quality control has been sacrificed to get said product "out the door", manufacturers tend to take that rather seriously.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I admit I made references to "..rush to get out the door"... in posts 2002 & 2011. I apologize if that was taken as fact or an accusation, I was merely reiterating the fears and concerns people had due to 'quality and sonic inconsistencies', which merely could have been people hearing differently. Please, anyone disregard those sentences.

I wonder with the new info that was brought to light, if that would .... exonerate me (from my earlier, post, not naming names mind you, DexDexter...
wink.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back