HEADPHONE MEET at the Headmaster in San Francisco 8/10/2013
May 19, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #61 of 645
Quote:
You shouldn't have made a deal. There were very good gears outside of that room.

LOL, that's okay.  He brought some stuff (those Ferrari cans) that didn't belong to him so he had to make sure nothing happened to them.  I totally understand.  Outside of hearing a few things that I REALLY want to hear, I'm generally chill with just hanging out.  In fact, I think a large part of my time at the upcoming LA meet will be working the registration desk and doing security and what not.

Quote:

I had the chance to try the Portaphile 627 the other week, and I liked it a lot. But it's just not worth almost twice the price of the UHA-6S Mk.II to me. Considering the UHA-6S Mk.II w/ OPA627 is about 90% there.

Yeah, the price is a bit steep on that.  But the way Mike (Headfonia) talks about it, one would think it's the second coming.

Quote:

Funny thing about the ES10, though... is that I should have told you to try using it with vocal-centric music. If you thought bass and treble were forward, you'd probably be surprised. Midrange is actually more forward than either.

The W1000X is almost the same... though with bigger soundstage and slightly cleaner treble.

I kinda liked it, the ES10 I mean.  Not for everything all the time, but it definitely sounds like it's ready to partay.  Someone suggested the JVC FXD80 to me if I wanted to get the same signature in an IEM.  Any thoughts on that?

Quote:
At the end of the day, I'm still very much a midrange-head. 
beerchug.gif

LOL, coulda fooled me!  Kidding of course. 
tongue.gif

Quote:

Quote:
I'm going to be bringing a lot of stuff..
size]

Well, that is... if we get enough people wanting to meet up. We are missing at least 60 heads.

We still got a little time.  Let's try to get the word out!

Quote:
Balanced mad dogs, balanced HD650's, iBasso PB2/DB2 combo an Centrance HIFI-M8, MacBook Air

We seriously need to name this combination the "aamefford rig".  It's famous. 
biggrin.gif
  Did you notice how many people were taking pictures of other people listening to it last time?

BTW, is it just me, or is this thread pretty much dominated by the Room 6 Crew?  I think we all had a pretty good time because we were a little more casual than some of the other rooms.  Either that or the unusually large concentration of O2s chilled everyone out.  We need to get HiFiGuy528, oblique and some honorary Room 6 Crew Members up in here.  LiuTim would be good.  So would SanJoseCanJunkie.  Also, there was a guy that showed up a little later in the afternoon and hung out for a while.  I think that might have been kramer5150... does anyone know for sure?

May 19, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #62 of 645
Quote:
BTW, is it just me, or is this thread pretty much dominated by the Room 6 Crew?  I think we all had a pretty good time because we were a little more casual than some of the other rooms.  Either that or the unusually large concentration of O2s chilled everyone out.  We need to get HiFiGuy528, oblique and some honorary Room 6 Crew Members up in here.  LiuTim would be good.  So would SanJoseCanJunkie.  Also, there was a guy that showed up a little later in the afternoon and hung out for a while.  I think that might have been kramer5150... does anyone know for sure?

PinupPenguin ever drop by?(not sure if thats his exact username, but its Brian from BTG-Audio I'm pretty sure.)

May 19, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #63 of 645
Quote:

LOL, that's okay.  He brought some stuff (those Ferrari cans) that didn't belong to him so he had to make sure nothing happened to them.  I totally understand.  Outside of hearing a few things that I REALLY want to hear, I'm generally chill with just hanging out.  In fact, I think a large part of my time at the upcoming LA meet will be working the registration desk and doing security and what not.

Yeah, the price is a bit steep on that.  But the way Mike (Headfonia) talks about it, one would think it's the second coming.

I kinda liked it, the ES10 I mean.  Not for everything all the time, but it definitely sounds like it's ready to partay.  Someone suggested the JVC FXD80 to me if I wanted to get the same signature in an IEM.  Any thoughts on that?

tongue.gif

biggrin.gif
  Did you notice how many people were taking pictures of other people listening to it last time?

I spoke with HifiGuy528 and asked for his support as well. Hopefully Mike can chime in here as well.

May 19, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #64 of 645
Quote:
PinupPenguin ever drop by?(not sure if thats his exact username, but its Brian from BTG-Audio I'm pretty sure.)

Nope.  I waited on his penguin butt all day.  Nothin'.  Sad for me as I wanted to see his work - especially some of his mods - up close.  Oh well... maybe he can come this time?

Quote:
I spoke with HifiGuy528 and asked for his support as well. Hopefully Mike can chime in here as well.

That'd be great!  Do you know if he's coming?

May 19, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #65 of 645
Quote:
Quote:

Nope.  I waited on his penguin butt all day.  Nothin'.  Sad for me as I wanted to see his work - especially some of his mods - up close.  Oh well... maybe he can come this time?

tongue.gif

May 19, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #66 of 645
Quote:

I am not ssure . he only said it would be quicker getting answers through his emails and I did that and am waiting for him to respond.

May 19, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #67 of 645
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

tongue.gif

This is what I saw all day long:

frown.gif

Quote:
Quote:

I am not sure . he only said it would be quicker getting answers through his emails and I did that and am waiting for him to respond.

Lemme see if I can reach him. 
smile.gif

May 19, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #68 of 645
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

tongue.gif

frown.gif

Aw
size]

May 19, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #69 of 645
Quote:

tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

I was out of the room most of the time my own rig got the heavy check out.  I'm glad it did - as I'm glad some folks got to listen to it, and to the Mad Dogs.  This will be a fun meet - we need to get the word out.

May 19, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #70 of 645
Quote:
Quote:

frown.gif

Aw
size]

Yeah, tragic amirite?

Quote:
Quote:
biggrin.gif

I was out of the room most of the time my own rig got the heavy check out.  I'm glad it did - as I'm glad some folks got to listen to it, and to the Mad Dogs.  This will be a fun meet - we need to get the word out.

It was the Mad Dogs w/Alpha Pads I think.  Dan only had two stations open, and of course everyone wanted to hear them.  Then it became known that someone in Room 6 had a pair.  Cue the inevitable stampede.

May 19, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #71 of 645
Quote:

Yeah, tragic amirite?

It was the Mad Dogs w/Alpha Pads I think.  Dan only had two stations open, and of course everyone wanted to hear them.  Then it became known that someone in Room 6 had a pair.  Cue the inevitable stampede.

Yup, Mad Dogs with Alpha Pads, version 3.0 per Dan's April Newsletter.  He is now to version 3.2.  My current pair is upgraded to either 3.1 or 3.2, not sure, and are a prototype of the new balanced option.  The connector and cable are a bit more primitive on mine.  I think we are straying off topic here, though.

May 19, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #72 of 645
May 19, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #73 of 645
Quote:

tongue.gif

I'm really a midrange-head. So done with articulated bass and detailed treble. 
L3000.gif

Anyway, while I'd prefer the Portaphile 627 to all portable amps I have had the pleasure of listening to, I wouldn't consider it the second coming. But hey, it's still my top pick if I had the cash.

About the JVC FXD80, I don't know, to be honest. I haven't heard that IEM, or any IEM for a looooong time.

May 20, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #74 of 645
Quote:
I'm also a midrange-head. So done with only having articulated bass and detailed treble. 
L3000.gif

FTFY 
smile.gif

Quote:

Anyway, while I'd prefer the Portaphile 627 to all portable amps I have had the pleasure of listening to, I wouldn't consider it the second coming. But hey, it's still my top pick if I had the cash.

Yeah, I know what you mean.  BTW, just so you know the breadth and depth of my indecision, I'm now interested in an X5, a DX50, and a Nova N1 as well.  I have no shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-P /img/forum/go_quote.gif

About the JVC FXD80, I don't know, to be honest. I haven't heard that IEM, or any IEM for a looooong time.

Gotcha, though I think you might change your mind after hearing Wolfetan's Heir.

May 20, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #75 of 645
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-P /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Gotcha, though I think you might change your mind after hearing Wolfetan's Heir.

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back