Head-Fidentification!
May 24, 2013 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 261
For a while now, I've been thinking of ways that Head-Fiers can identify each other out IRL.  And with the posting of Paola's video, about the Head-Fi community being as tight as it is, I've been giving this some renewed thought in the past few days.  Here are some ways that won't work:

Stalking

If you've spent any amount of time in the Headphone Sightings threads, you already know that eying someone from afar - and then stalking them for a few minutes - just isn't the best way to go.  Quite frankly, it gives people the heebie jeebies, especially if they turn out NOT to be Head-Fiers.  So let's just rule that out right away.

Pointing

First of all, it's not nice to point.  But more importantly, pointing back and forth at someone else and your ear makes you look EFFING MENTAL.  Don't believe me?  Go outside and try it sometime.  When small children (and sometimes feral dogs) start backing away from you, take that as a sign of what NOT to do.

T-Shirts

We simply can't go around wearing them constantly on the off chance that - one of these days - we might run into another Head-Fier.  Wearing one shirt for years on end?  No, we're not freaks after all.  Plus, just being whacked out on headphones is enough.  Perpetually wearing a Head-Fi "uniform" ain't gonna get no play wit da ladies if you know what I mean.

Yelling

blink.gif
  LOL, no.  Just no.

So what can we do?  What is a polite, silent, and on-demand way indicating that you are a Head-Fier IRL?  Well after giving it much thought, I believe that I have come up with a workable solution.  My fellow Head-Fiers, I present you with the (Unofficial Head-Fi Gang Sign).

They're headphones, get it? 
biggrin.gif
  BTW, excuse the rough pic guys and gals.  This is still a working concept after all.

Now we can quietly and steathily, flash a simple sign to others.  If they flash it back, then we have a positive identification.  If they don't, just smile and brush it off... no harm done.

So what do y'all think?

Also, once positive identification is made, we might want to have some way of confirming details.  As a supplemental device, I present to you Head-Fi ID cards!

Seriously!  It's 2013 guys, and ID cards are NOT rocket science.  Why don't we have these things already?!?!  Maybe these things can be sent out to people when they hit Supremus?

May 24, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #5 of 261
Quote:
Have them sent to the members of the Supremus forums. 
wink.gif

Yup, that's what Ima thinkin'!

Quote:
i like it, the sign does look slightly like headphones nice effort.... im more of a stalker 
wink_face.gif

LOL, how's that working out?

Quote:
I'm afraid that someone might flash back a different sign and then what, run?

Then we - um - "share" whatever pair of headphones we happen to be wearing at the time.

May 24, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #6 of 261
Warren you may truly be a genius.

however, a Gang-sign is very subtle, perhaps a little bit TOO subtle for those head-fiers who are lost in their own music!!

Why not go all out and choreograph a head-fi dance (it can include the gang sign and everything :wink: )

May 24, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #7 of 261
Interesting interesting. Let's go back to stalking for a second. When you say "heebie jeebies..."

I think we should explore the tattoo scenario personally. Nothing says "I belong" like permanence.

May 24, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #8 of 261
Quote:
I think we should explore the tattoo scenario personally. Nothing says "I belong" like permanence.

Through my mind right now i have envisioned Head-fiers in assorted gangs based on headphones preferences  (Ie some with AUDEZE tattoed across their chest, naturally fighting the ones with HIFIMAN tattoo's and so on)

Also everything is on fire. 

May 24, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #9 of 261
There wouldn't be anyone for me to sign around here. The only other people I see with headphones of any sort are the ones walking with one iBud in, and the other dangling free...
triportsad.gif

May 24, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #10 of 261
Quote:
Warren you may truly be a genius.

however, a Gang-sign is very subtle, perhaps a little bit TOO subtle for those head-fiers who are lost in their own music!!

Why not go all out and choreograph a head-fi dance (it can include the gang sign and everything :wink: )

Aww, you know about my soft spot for flash mobs right?  No one else seems on board with them though, and I ain't doing it alone.  A group of people dancing is a flash mob.  One guy dancing by himself is a performance artist.

Quote:
Interesting interesting. Let's go back to stalking for a second. When you say "heebie jeebies..."

It means no, she will not go out with you. 
frown.gif
  So I'd advise against it.

Quote:

This is free. 
smile.gif

Quote:
Quote:

Through my mind right now i have envisioned Head-fiers in assorted gangs based on headphones preferences  (Ie some with AUDEZE tattoed across their chest, naturally fighting the ones with HIFIMAN tattoo's and so on)

Hmm, I suppose we could have different "sets" within the larger group.  I know the TMAC guys want to form their own set.

Quote:
There wouldn't be anyone for me to sign around here. The only other people I see with headphones of any sort are the ones walking with one iBud in, and the other dangling free...
triportsad.gif

Tragedy...
frown.gif
  Hurry up and graduate so you can get a job here in L.A.! 
smile.gif

May 24, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #11 of 261
Quote:
Tragedy...
frown.gif
  Hurry up and graduate so you can get a job here in L.A.! 
smile.gif

Graduate? lol.....senior year for me was 1989. 
blink.gif

I just don't act my age. 

May 24, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #12 of 261
Oops! 
biggrin.gif
  Had you temporarily mixed up with Argy.  Darn Ar* names... 
redface.gif

May 24, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #14 of 261
Panda your just a pup... :D

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

May 24, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #15 of 261

Users who are viewing this thread

Back