HD650 uses HD580 drivers??
Sep 21, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #166 of 509
Why new thread?

I emailed Sennheiser Nordic and the retailer promised to contact them as well, still waiting for reply. Meanwhile I'm trying my best to like these phones. Undecided.

The US rep, if genuine, seems like a joke to me right now. Way to do your job.

Sep 21, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #167 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by zkn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why new thread?

I emailed Sennheiser Nordic and the retailer promised to contact them as well, still waiting for reply. Meanwhile I'm trying my best to like these phones. Undecided.

The US rep, if genuine, seems like a joke to me right now. Way to do your job.

Its more worthy of a thread than, 'Recommend me some cans!!!'

We'll be on the 10th page by them, enough interest?

Sep 21, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #168 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no such thing as golden, or trained, ears...

Yes, there are.

Sep 21, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #169 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't call listening closely trained ears.

Seriously, trained/golden ears is a huge bit of BS that gets tossed around here, all the time.

The only thing you can "train" your ears to hear are artifacts from lossy encoding, but even then, it isn't "training" so much as listening closely.

You have been woefully misinformed. Sorry.

Sep 21, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #170 of 509
Quote:

Yes, there are.

No, there really isn't actually. It is only an arrogant perception people have of themselves. Unless you're some kind of genetically engineered Übermensch, your ears are not any better than anyone else's.

Sep 21, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #171 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, there really isn't actually. It is only an arrogant perception people have of themselves. Unless you're some kind of genetically engineered Übermensch, your ears are not any better than anyone else's.

Well, then I'd better defer to your obviously superior intellect and experience.

Sep 21, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #172 of 509
Quote:

Pray tell, by what means did you reach this conclusion?

Sep 21, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #173 of 509
Because I know that there's just not that much variance between the mechanical functioning of different people's ears. If you want to believe that kind of snake oil be my guest, but don't expect me to buy it, not for one second.

Matters of perception relating to the auditory cortex, such as absolute pitch, are a different story. Some people do have golden brains, but there are no golden ears.

I do believe that people can be trained to be more discerning in their listening habits, but this does not mean they have golden ears.

Sep 21, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #174 of 509
Quote:

Because I know that there's just not that much variance between the mechanical functioning of different people's ears. If you want to believe that kind of snake oil be my guest, but don't expect me to buy it, not for one second.

Matters of perception relating to the auditory cortex, such as absolute pitch, are a different story. Some people do have golden brains, but there are no golden ears.

I do believe that people can be trained to be more discerning in their listening habits, but this does not mean they have golden ears.

Ahh, now you're backpedaling, but you still did not disclose where you received your training and experience. So how did you reach your conclusions?

Sep 21, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #175 of 509
Heh, this is very much like the 'Digital cable' debate.

Sep 21, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #176 of 509
Quote:

May I safely assume that we are on the same page regarding the euphemistic use of the term "Golden Ear?" There is no elemental Au, to speak of, within any human ear. Since the term itself is euphemistic, gold does not refer to the element Au, and ear does not refer only to the human ear, Outer, middle, or inner. It refers to the entire auditory system which includes the brain and all accumulated knowledge, experience, and all autonomic and learned brain driven signal processing capability.

Sep 21, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #177 of 509
I wasn't backpedaling, I only edited my post to more properly express my thoughts, which have not changed during the course of the argument.

Putting it the way you do, I'm actually inclined to agree. But that isn't the way most people use the term "golden ear". When most people use this term, they're implying that the person in question has some kind of genetic predisposition toward significantly more acute hearing than the average human being. That they have somehow been gifted with inherently better auditory perception, able to discern differences beyond the normal range of human hearing. The implication is that their particular hearing apparatus is rare and valuable; like gold. Except in very rare circumstances, these so-called golden ears do not actually have better hearing or perception than the average person, but like you said, accumulated knowledge and experience.

Given enough time and experience, anyone can become a "golden ear" as defined above.

Sep 21, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #178 of 509
'Golden' and 'Gold' things are not the same thing.

Adding Golden is a euphemism for something being great.

Being Gold means there is AU lurking.

Sep 21, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #179 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, this is very much like the 'Digital cable' debate.

Oh, it's much more fun than that.

With digital cables, they either pass the data stream or not. If the receiver copies the data stream error free, the job is done. It's pretty cut and dried.

Sep 21, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #180 of 509
You'd think that, but many many folk don't. Lol, I'm buying a £60 optical cable!
wink.gif

I like nice things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back