HD650 uses HD580 drivers??
Dec 2, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #496 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can tell you, I've been to Sennheiser's headquarters, and they have a KILLER story to tell. I've rarely seen a company so dedicated to product excellence and so strongly invested in working things through so as to produce excellent quality product.

I have HD650's and I'm very happy with them, as I was with the 600's that I had several years ago and sold. But after looking at the frequency response graphs that Tyll provided, I'm mystified as to why the Received Wisdom seems to be that the 650's are more "veiled." The measured frequency responses of these two headphone models are extremely similar, so where is the "veil"?

Jan 29, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #497 of 509
Revived! Bit late here... gonna have to do some ketchup. Just got a bit of a scare opening up my HD650s to find a HD580 label....

Couldn't seem to find this thread before. If no one is discussing it on head-fi I must surely have a fake! No no... alls normal (whew)... Thanks to Gurra1980! and Tyll!

Jan 31, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #498 of 509
Quote:

Okie dokie; back to our regularly scheduled broadcast:

I just recieved this correspondance from Katrin Huss:

".......The membrane material for HD 580/600/650 is indeed the same, although the drivers are different......

Best regards,
Katrin Huss
Product Marketing Manager"

An additional response from Sennheiser, that I received within 24 hours of asking it, over the time I searched through this forum.... adds something I think...
--------------------
To be more precise: If you order spares for the 3 models, you'll get the following

HD 580 091570 System 300R
HD 600 091570 System 300R
HD 650 092855 System 300R

The systems of the HD 580 and the HD 600 are exactly the same. The difference of sound is only done by the housing itself. Its contour and sound outlet grill, etc.

The system in the HD 650 is a modified version of the HD 580/600. The membrane is the same, the magnet too, but some added materials inside the system differ. The difference of sound is done by the resonator of the system too.

This offers the HD 600 a frequency response of 12.....39000 Hz
and
the HD 650 a frequency response of 10.....39500 Hz.

That seems to be only fine tuning, but with tolerances of the sound at
+/- 3dB it makes it easy to recognize that it is different. The carbon
fibre frame (of the HD6xx series) is not relevant for the sound.

With best regards

Günter Hitz
Marketing Operations Service Support

Apr 13, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #500 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder what's going on?

I'm afraid to take apart my HD600. I'm afraid the drivers will say "k701" !

THIS is the comment in this thread!

Mar 28, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #502 of 509
  Quote:

I can tell you, I've been to Sennheiser's headquarters, and they have a KILLER story to tell. I've rarely seen a company so dedicated to product excellence and so strongly invested in working things through so as to produce excellent quality product.

I have HD650's and I'm very happy with them, as I was with the 600's that I had several years ago and sold. But after looking at the frequency response graphs that Tyll provided, I'm mystified as to why the Received Wisdom seems to be that the 650's are more "veiled." The measured frequency responses of these two headphone models are extremely similar, so where is the "veil"?

Honestly, I've had my 650's for five years now, and I find them to be veiled. I have a few serious audio setups at my house, and the precision/warmth combo just isn't there with the 650's. I will agree, they have great sound staging, but un-veiled they are not.

Aug 10, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #504 of 509
How many people would by a headphone just because Kramer modded it?

Ha, I've done this exact thing before!

I think if there were a popular Sennheiser rep here to feed us on new things comming out etc., that people would be even more into being Sennheiser FanBoys.....Just like with Grado.
It makes it more personal,which is something big companies lack.

This made me think a little. My favorite headphones are the AKG Q701, but I don't feel any emotional connection to AKG and I'm not considering buying any of their other products. But I would rock a Grado bumper sticker or t-shirt, if those products existed--especially the t-shirt--despite not even owning a Grado at the moment.

Huh. I need to email Grado and ask about getting that shirt...

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #506 of 509
I ap
did u buy them brand new and from an authorized seller ??
predicate your willingness to help but the original post you quoted is from 2007 - so 10 years ago. The last post in this forum from solomon was according to his profile page in 2009 - I think we can assume he doesn't care anymore. :beerchug:

Aug 10, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #508 of 509
FYI EVERYBODY! !!

This "problem" was resolved about 10 pages ago, with Sennheiser confirming it was a non-issue all along, just some wacko freaking out about nothing. I only responded to it because some of the more philosophical posts after the mass-freak-out were really interesting

did u buy them brand new and from an authorized seller ??

Aug 10, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #509 of 509
FYI EVERYBODY! !!

This "problem" was resolved about 10 pages ago, with Sennheiser confirming it was a non-issue all along, just some wacko freaking out about nothing. I only responded to it because some of the more philosophical posts after the mass-freak-out were really interesting
Haha !!
It kinda bothered me too as i've just ordered the 6xx, thanks for the clarification

Users who are viewing this thread

Back