HD650 uses HD580 drivers??
Sep 20, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #136 of 509
I've had the 580 jubilee, this was a special run of 3000 worldwide and had the same 1db tolerance as the 600! So, yes a jubilee has the same drivers as the 600, but the 650 has NOT the same driver as the hd600 or 580. The hd580 jubilee came in a nice box with a certificate and a db chart on it stating that the drivers had a tolerance of 1 db!

Sep 20, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #137 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarinthegourd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if you can't tell them apart by listening, I wouldn't buy an HD650 at all. (I do think they sound different, but I'm not the one obsessing about what's printed on the driver.)

If you cannot tell them apart, i first would visit a doctor to check my ears! They are quite far apart, especially in the lower region! hd650 has a bit more coloured sound, hd600 is a bit more neutral but has less bass/midbass.

Sep 20, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #138 of 509
This page makes me laugh. Its as though we're wrong by complaining? 'Return the buggers' was the general consensus for 6 pages.

All I'd like is a Sennheiser Rep to find out and give us a useful answer.

Sep 20, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #140 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This came up in this thread about an hour ago. Something is very odd with the HD650 drivers. Compare mine with upstateguy's:

hd650driver2jpgne4.jpg

orig.jpg

Mine looks like the upper (read: uglier) one.

Sep 20, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #141 of 509
I guess Senn rep tried to answer the question with humor, but it seems it doesn't work. To people who freak out that their expensive headphones may be fake ones, humors do not work.

I just say, let's settle down and believe what he said; whether it is imprinted hd 580 is on your driver, it is HD650 and sure it is.

But I also hope for more information...

Sep 20, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #143 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by zkn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine look like the upper (read: uglier) one.

There have been numerous threads observing the difference in color between the runs of acoustic dampening. Guess what....my HD580 replacement drivers had different dampening colors as my old driver elements. They sounded identical though. Your ears don't lie.....if a HD 650 has some part labeled hd580 or a silver vs black dampening material....if it still sounds like a HD650, it's a HD650!!!!

Sep 20, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #144 of 509
No doubt these are the real thing, I'm just curious about what Sennheiser changed.

And yes I was pretty freaked out at first but frankly I don't give a **** about the stamp, I just need confirmation. Preferrably by general consensus around here than a possibly lying rep. But we all know that's not going to happen for a while.

Sep 20, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #145 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're gonna have to find somwhere else to host those images. They won't even load for me.

Here it is - another link

HD%20650_kicsi.jpg

Sep 20, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #146 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There have been numerous threads observing the difference in color between the runs of acoustic dampening. Guess what....my HD580 replacement drivers had different dampening colors as my old driver elements. They sounded identical though. Your ears don't lie.....if a HD 650 has some part labeled hd580 or a silver vs black dampening material....if it still sounds like a HD650, it's a HD650!!!!

Good to hear.

The thing is I was hoping to find out what the 650 really sounds like by buying these.. not to guess if they sound like 650. :)

In the end this whole site is about nuances. I could imagine changing entire parts on the product could greate subtle changes to the sound and as Sennheiser is a mass producer they might not just care enough.

It didn't help that I found them pretty boring out of the box and not (psychoacoustically) burn in.. but this is the way of hifi, by experience I need minimum of 2 weeks to get used to the sound and increased information. It's also starting to get pretty ruthless on bad recordings.

Sep 20, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #148 of 509
Quote:

The thing is I was hoping to find out what the 650 really sounds like by buying these.. not to guess if they sound like 650. :)

Sigh..

Well seeing as I haven't heard one of these supposed "HD 580" labeled drivers.....I can't put everyone to ease about whether these sound just like the HD650s I have. Though my HD650s have the silver dampening material.....I wonder if they're really HD650s then
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Anyway, it is apparent that headphones change their appearance slightly with each separate run of headphones. This is true for every headphone maker. Now why does the latest run have "HD 580" printed on the driver? I've stated my theory that I think maybe, if it is from old HD580 batches, it is the magnet assembly that both headphones share. Since in their runs for other headphones, Sennheiser has never cheated anyone into changing the actual acoustical property of a particular headphone model.....I'm more likely to believe that these drivers that have a "HD580" printed on them are still manufactured to sound like a HD650.

Sep 20, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #149 of 509
Quote:

And yes I was pretty freaked out at first but frankly I don't give a **** about the stamp, I just need confirmation. Preferrably by general consensus around here than a possibly lying rep. But we all know that's not going to happen for a while.

Yeah, some sort of explanation would be nice. Not a lot of people have 100s of dollars to throw around.

I doubt the rep is lying, he's just unknowing of the specifics. We need a German Senn rep to make enquiries.

Hopefully my Amazon email on this gets a decent answer. Its been 24 hours now, hope the time is them finding out. Glad I chose Amazon.

Sep 20, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #150 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no such thing as golden, or trained, ears...

There's no such things as experience or professionalism?

That's great. I'll be off to set up my own studio now. Incompetence? There's no such thing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back