HD-600 OWNERS!! Tell us about your HD-600 burn-in experiences!!
Jan 27, 2008 at 6:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Penchum

Headphoneus Supremus
I couldn't wait any longer. I bought the HD-600s to go along with my HD-580s and HD-650s. I have already done the 600 grills and 650 cable to the HD-580s and have left the HD-650s stock. I have the 650 cable on order for the new HD-600s.

During the 24/7 burn-in of the HD-600s (starting on the 23rd), they seem to be behaving much differently than the HD-580s and HD-650s did during burn-in. They actually did sound pretty good right out of the box, which was the first surprise. Changes have been happening pretty fast (almost double speed) compared to the other two models. This got me thinking about differences in burn-in and all the variables which could have an impact. I am using the exact same method I used on the other two models, except for one thing; The type of files used. The first two models were feed MP3's at 320kbps from my Creative Vision, at about 1/2 volume, and this time I'm using Lossless WAV files on the Creative Vision, at 1/2 volume.

Does anyone have a similar experience with their HD-600s? Or, can you tell us how your burn-in went with the method you used? Any and all of this kind of information can be helpful. Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #5 of 20
Slightly OT, but where is the cheapest place to buy a brand new HD600? Also, how does the 650 cable sound on the 600? I sold my 600 a few years ago and now I'm thinking about buying another. I also owned a 650 that I sold last year. When I owned the 600, I used the Cardas cable which was much better than stock. Back to the topic, the 650 actually got worse before it got better during the burn in process. I don't recall the specifics of the 600 burn in process because that was nearly 10 years ago.

Feb 13, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #6 of 20
Mine were a bit harsh for the first few hours but gradually smoothed up in a week or so. I just received the Corda Cantate today and it's taken them to a whole another level (compared to Headfive). Amazing headphones.

Feb 13, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #7 of 20
New to the forum ....

I have HD-600's that I got about 6 months ago. I did not do an intensive burn in .... but just started listening to them.

Not really sure how long it took them to mellow, because it was over such a long period of time..... but they are just amazing now. At first I remember thinking ..."Whats the big deal ... they don't sound that much better than my 280's " ... well ..... now there is no comparison ... they are like butter.

I am using a Bottlehead 6DN7 tube amp and listening to AAC's from an Ipod .... so it is a pretty mellow signal path.

Not to go OT ... but, as a newbie ... using the above source, files and amp .... How would AKG 701's sound ... compared to my 600's

Feb 13, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #8 of 20
i felt mine were harsh out the box as well but they have been smoothing out since i started burning them in. i have them hooked up to my radio with an ipod dock and a headphone jack in the back playing at just over 1/2 volume and i have my 600s stored in the box they came with under my bed so i can't hear them. i check on them every few hours tho.

i just got them in the mail yesterday and started burning em in around 11:30pm last night. originally with my headsix but for some odd reason my headsix cable gave out on me. i was having problems with that cable so i wasn't surprised. i was just glad it wasn't the phones that gave out. i woulda ben pissssssssssssssssed
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
lol

Feb 13, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #9 of 20
I own the HD-600 since 2000, maybe 2001, not sure. I remember them sounding a tiny bit harsh for the first few hours, probably not more than 10. Since then they've been sounding quite good. They're not perfect, but they are the only pair of headphones that I've never felt like getting rid of them. In fact I never thought they'd really need a cable upgrade, nor removing the protective inner foams... It's after all these years that I'm going to try them balanced, so go figure.

Rgrds

Feb 13, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #12 of 20
i let mine burn in with lossless files on repeat for 24-72 hours. i got them in the case they came with so i they don't bother me while i'm in my room.

Feb 13, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyfiore75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What methods did you all use for burn-in? Gradual burn-in? Straight burn-in? for how many hours? With what?

No method at all, just playing CDs and vinyls. I think I left them on loop playing for about 8 hours the second day after purchasing them. I don't think they changed much after that, which in total was about 12-15 hours.

Rgrds.

Feb 13, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #15 of 20
Since the 580s and 600s have the same driver, I don't know what would account for the big differences in the op's experience between the two. I bought my 600s used, so I can't speak to that, but my other Senns (580/650s) didn't change in a noticeable way until I gave them better amps, sources, music, and cables.

Re burn-in, I suggest just listening to music and enjoying. If things change for you, fine; if they don't, fine. My experience with headphone burn-in is that changes are minimal if they exist at all, depending on the headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back