Havi b3 pro 1 thread 2.0
Apr 16, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #766 of 2,486

Very nice! 

I just purchased a Audio-gd NFB15.32 and it pairs with the Havis sooooo good!! Pushes them to a whole new level.  Soundstage and imaging goes so wide and deep its incredible. Also this amp is really warm so it give the Havis that extra sweetness in the mids; takes away the dryness in the male vocals. And detail of course becomes slightly better. 

Oh nice, am checking out the model in question. I know they don't look really portable but are the atleast transportable? Like I can pack them to them to use with my laptop at a desk somewhere else etc?

Apr 16, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #768 of 2,486

Oh nice, am checking out the model in question. I know they don't look really portable but are the atleast transportable? Like I can pack them to them to use with my laptop at a desk somewhere else etc?

Tamal, my NFB-12 (which is the earlier version fo the NFB-12) is a little over 1.3kg, and measures 23cm x 16cm x 4.5cm.  Transportable yes - but needs to run off power, and tends to run pretty warm (full A class).  Great DAC/amp though.

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #769 of 2,486

Tamal, my NFB-12 (which is the earlier version fo the NFB-12) is a little over 1.3kg, and measures 23cm x 16cm x 4.5cm.  Transportable yes - but needs to run off power, and tends to run pretty warm (full A class).  Great DAC/amp though.

Indeed, I am really loving mine. I have been in contact with Audio-gd and they explained to me that the NFB-15 is an upgrade of the NFB-12 and they both use the same PCB. My PCB says NFB-12 but the serial number implies that its the 15, and they confirmed it for me. Looking at the specs, they're both pretty much identical. What OS & filter do you run it at? I think mine is at 4x OS & filter 3, but I'm still getting my gauges.

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #770 of 2,486

Hi Paul, thanks for confirming the specs for me. Looks to be transportable as long as one can transport it back and forth safely. As long as it doesn't give off too much heat shouldn't be too bad.

Would it be effective as an all purpose amp/dac for a laptop? I use my laptop as a desktop so it will be at a desk and taken back and forth between home and study spaces. I was initially considering the O2 and ODac but the Audio Gd products seem intriguing.

Edit: http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm 
Costs the same as O2 and ODac which is remarkable considering how much you're getting with the NFB-15.

Since they have great synergy with the B3, they would rank higher for me than the O2 and ODAC. Will have to do research and look into the specifics and reviews.

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #771 of 2,486
Definitely cheaper and a lot more powerful Tamal.  Mine never leaves my desktop - but should be easily transportable.  Not sure about drivers with USB connection - DJscope might be able to help there.  I only ever use optical.

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:36 AM Post #772 of 2,486

What OS & filter do you run it at? I think mine is at 4x OS & filter 3, but I'm still getting my gauges.

Mines done by jumpers - been about 3 years since I last checked 
biggrin.gif
, but pretty sure I was running at 4x oversampling minimum phase soft-knee filter.

TBH - back then I would swear I could tell them apart.  I've learnt a lot about myself now - and given most of the difference is likely to be in the upper frequencies from 14-15K onward, I may just reopen mine and reset it to the 2 x oversampling, linear phase 'brickwall'.  It'll give me support for all formats - and I'm pretty sure I won't notice the differences anyway
wink.gif

Apr 17, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #773 of 2,486
Peter if you like the Havi, I urge you to check out the baldoor e100 ear buds. I just got them today and I am really having my mind blown how good they are. I love em and they are a perfect complement for the havis and they cost like 12 bucks on amazon. 

@Baycode
  @peter123
  If you guys need help getting units I don't mind shipping them to you. There have been lots of hype about them but they are def deserving off all the praise. I think you will like the E100s a lot!

Thanks for your kind offer but unfortunately I've never got a long with earbuds (fit/comfort issues) so I'm afraid that one won't be for me. Glad you're enjoying them though.

Apr 17, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #775 of 2,486
Mines done by jumpers - been about 3 years since I last checked :D , but pretty sure I was running at 4x oversampling minimum phase soft-knee filter.

TBH - back then I would swear I could tell them apart.  I've learnt a lot about myself now - and given most of the difference is likely to be in the upper frequencies from 14-15K onward, I may just reopen mine and reset it to the 2 x oversampling, linear phase 'brickwall'.  It'll give me support for all formats - and I'm pretty sure I won't notice the differences anyway :wink:

Hear hear!

Switching through them makes not difference to me. Neither does ABX testing lossless and hi res. Sounds the same to me. Even properly encoded MP3s are very hard to distinguish.

Apr 17, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #776 of 2,486

Peter if you like the Havi, I urge you to check out the baldoor e100 ear buds. I just got them today and I am really having my mind blown how good they are. I love em and they are a perfect complement for the havis and they cost like 12 bucks on amazon. 

@Baycode  @peter123  If you guys need help getting units I don't mind shipping them to you. There have been lots of hype about them but they are def deserving off all the praise. I think you will like the E100s a lot!

Just copied-pasted my reply from the Earbud section. I really like to know how good they are.

Dont know if my question could be fully answered here :)P) but Id like to know how Mrice/Baldoor E100 compare to:

- Monoprice 8320
- KZ ANV
- Soundsoul S018
- Havi B3P1
- name it???

Im from Europe so both Soundsoul and Mrice are hard to get THOUGH I found the E100s on ALIEX for $19. I do have MP8320 and Havi B3p1.
If Mrices are equal enough to Havis I might sell them.

As student I can use the extra cash if the Mrices are somewhat equal to the Havis. Could you compare them? Found the Mrices already (thanks to Toom) at $14 or so.

Apr 17, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #777 of 2,486
Hear hear!

Switching through them makes not difference to me. Neither does ABX testing lossless and hi res. Sounds the same to me. Even properly encoded MP3s are very hard to distinguish.

Well  that was an ear opener.  Switched the jumpers - fired it up - through my passive speakers could instantly tell something was amiss.  Just didn't sound right. Couldn't put my finger on it - but it was different.  Reset the jumpers back to the original setting .... ahhhh - much better.  So going to leave them where they were.  Can't A/B accurately (takes too long to switch jumpers) - so can't discount sighted placebo.  But my ears (or my brain maybe) tells me that I get more pleasure from the original setting - so that is what will remain.

Apr 17, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #778 of 2,486

Well  that was an ear opener.  Switched the jumpers - fired it up - through my passive speakers could instantly tell something was amiss.  Just didn't sound right. Couldn't put my finger on it - but it was different.  Reset the jumpers back to the original setting .... ahhhh - much better.  So going to leave them where they were.  Can't A/B accurately (takes too long to switch jumpers) - so can't discount sighted placebo.  But my ears (or my brain maybe) tells me that I get more pleasure from the original setting - so that is what will remain.

Mine has switches on the front. Make no difference to me.

Well actually I lie. When I switch it to 8x and play a 96/24 file I get static! Because that's oversampling past the capabilities of the DAC. 

Apr 17, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #779 of 2,486
Could be placebo then (on my part).  Tried it twice though - and both times sounded strange on the brickwall.  Reverted to the 4x.  Max res I listen to is 24/96 anyway - so no biggie.  iDSD should be here in a week - so that may end up replacing the NFB-12 eventually anyway. 

Apr 17, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #780 of 2,486
  Could be placebo then (on my part).  Tried it twice though - and both times sounded strange on the brickwall.  Reverted to the 4x.  Max res I listen to is 24/96 anyway - so no biggie.  iDSD should be here in a week - so that may end up replacing the NFB-12 eventually anyway. 

Looking at it now. Mine is set to 4X oversampling , Linear phase 'brickwall' filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back