Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Mar 9, 2015 at 4:02 AM Post #871 of 3,700
Well I have rolled over 50 different speaker cables, interconnects, digitial spdif cables and USB cables over the last 25 years and at least to my ears...they can make as big a difference as an amp or a PC/USB  interface.  And cost is not the final arbiter - I have $700 cables that sound way better then $2500 ones.  Some $140 interconnects that I currently use that are nearly the best I've heard.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aural-Thrills-Self-Powered-Active-Shield-Cable-1m-Silver-Teflon-Connectors-/251867824620?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aa47e01ec

I guess the saying goes YMMV.

That 'thing' you linked is not exactly a cable but an active component. Maybe that guy got it right, dont know. Dont care much either. Glad you enjoy your cables but after all the experiments, I doubt I'll ever buy a cable for SQ reasons again. If you want to continue the cable discussion, this should be a much better thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/729693/the-voodoo-less-cable-thread-reasonable-cable-vendors-and-reviews

Mar 9, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #872 of 3,700
That 'thing' you linked is not exactly a cable but an active component. Maybe that guy got it right, dont know. Dont care much either. Glad you enjoy your cables but after all the experiments, I doubt I'll ever buy a cable for SQ reasons again. If you want to continue the cable discussion, this should be a much better thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/729693/the-voodoo-less-cable-thread-reasonable-cable-vendors-and-reviews

Yeah -I've heard and read all those 'voodoo' arguments over the decades - got to trust my ears -and they say Wow! Back to the Gustard U12 discussion.  Had put that link as these cables are dirt cheap for their SQ (and have free 30 day trail), IMO.  I'll start a separate thread for the AT's.  Like I did with this one, first mentioned on the Lyr tube rolling thread

Sorry of the sidetrack.

Mar 9, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #873 of 3,700
Finally I was going to test i2s on my Audio-GD Master 7 after my last failed attempt with the Audiobyte Hydra Z. Reading here of past experiences that The Gustard U12 often was delivered configured with the wrong voltage so I openied it up and checked before plugging it in: 

Hmm, the voltage is set to 125. I better set it to 250 since that closest to my mains at 230. 
Installed the drivers, plugged the mains in, and then the USB cable. "BUZZZZZZ", what the hell?? "POP!"
And thats it. Dead!
Opened it up, and behold: 

Damn amateur! 
frown.gif
 Yeah, its me Im talking about...

Mar 9, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #874 of 3,700
What a fail sorry !!!

I listen it for a couple of hours. It delivers fluid, smooth and full sounding. Drawbacks are reducing the volume, dynamic and emphasis on the bass.
I want to test an Sotm DX USB or an Yellowtec PUC2 Lite. 

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #876 of 3,700
What a fail sorry !!!

I listen it for a couple of hours. It delivers fluid, smooth and full sounding. Drawbacks are reducing the volume, dynamic and emphasis on the bass.
I want to test an Sotm DX USB or an Yellowtec PUC2 Lite. 

That sounds quite funny. I can confirm the reduced volume via coax but the rest does not sound right. My bass actually got more powerful with the gustard. Maybe there is something to those burnin stories... at least give it a chance and let it run for 24h or so.

If you test that PUC thing pls post some impressions. According to some it should be the best usb-spdif converter ever.

Mar 9, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #879 of 3,700
  Finally I was going to test i2s on my Audio-GD Master 7 after my last failed attempt with the Audiobyte Hydra Z. Reading here of past experiences that The Gustard U12 often was delivered configured with the wrong voltage so I openied it up and checked before plugging it in: 

Hmm, the voltage is set to 125. I better set it to 250 since that closest to my mains at 230. 
Installed the drivers, plugged the mains in, and then the USB cable. "BUZZZZZZ", what the hell?? "POP!"
And thats it. Dead!
Opened it up, and behold: 

Damn amateur! 
frown.gif
 Yeah, its me Im talking about...

Sorry to hear that - check the fuse - it only may have blown.

Mar 10, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #881 of 3,700
That is a nice & very reasonable ebay shop, good to know.

My plan was to use one of those GB mboards who can disable Usb power. A straighforward and (more or less) free solution. But looks like I also need a dualhead Usb cable and a battery. Which means extra cabling, extra effort and about $100 ... doesnt sound as good anymore.

In any case, very interested about the results of your Usb experiments. Maybe it's worth doing it afterall.

P.S.
btw, here's a dual head Usb cable I was looking at http://www.ebay.com/itm/181434240444. Expensive but quite reasonable considering that such pure silber cables sell for 500+. Doubt it will improve the sound in any way but it's surely shinny
smily_headphones1.gif

You also can use a Elfidelity USB card, you can power it on internal connector on card, or external on the bracket.
It's a very cheap and good solution!

Thanks for the link, seems a very nice cable!

Mar 10, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #884 of 3,700
You also can use a Elfidelity USB card, you can power it on internal connector on card, or external on the bracket.
It's a very cheap and good solution!

Thanks for the link, seems a very nice cable!

The idea was to get rid of that Usb power completely. But since that's not possible, the elfidelity card looks like a very reasonable alternative, thx.
And about that shinny Usb cable, please note that I did not test it ... only posted the link based on price & looks. Good luck if you wanna test it.

Mar 10, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #885 of 3,700
After rolling through a bunch of USB interfaces including 3 different John Kenny's, M2Tech Highface and Evo, Audiophilleo 2, Musiland 02 and Musiland USB 3.0 USD. I settled on the Musiland USB 3.0 as the best sounding. Made better with a Aqvox linear power supply. I've been running this for over a year and really happy. But heard about this unit and just ordered one, wanted to see if anyone has tried it.

Looks promising:

Sealing Torodial Transformer, ....

Hi and i have also one myself not yet installed and i have also a new win 8.1. pc ... are there any driver issues ?

By the way when i see a toroidal transformer feeding a digital circuit i would ask why not use a EI type ?
Usually EI type provide better isolation from mains noise that for digital circuits is critical much more than for analog ones.
Thanks and regards, gino

Users who are viewing this thread

Back