Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Mar 7, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #841 of 3,700
  Hi,

I received the U12.
I'm a bit mixed about the sound.
It renders fluid and smooth however the bass is less tight and there is less air.

I install the driver include in the bundle. Should I wait for burnin ?

Give it time. If it's not the product burning in itself, it is your mind getting used to the new sound. Psychoacoustics is a strange thing!

Mar 7, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #842 of 3,700
I will do it. Voices are so beautiful, full, textured that gives chill !

Mar 7, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #843 of 3,700
Seems Gustard lowering the output voltage so it decrease the volume. Does anyone hear this ?

Mar 7, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #847 of 3,700
Could you add some details about those UWBs ... like which brand do you have in mind? And what are the voltage/current specs on the current regs?
The bellesons look pretty good but they are quite tall, may not fit into that small case ... and pricey.

We need the 5Volt type DX7805 5.0V UWB regulator

http://www.newclassd.com/index.php?page=70&hv=1

Mar 7, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #848 of 3,700
What about for AES output? Any voltage drops with it as well?

Mar 7, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #849 of 3,700
  (i)   RMB4,000 is about US$650.
(ii)  huang_cs claims it is feasible to replace it by OCXO in U12.
(iii) He said Gustard would not provide any technical support for modification works.
(iv) At the end, I ask him do I need to adjust any voltage and/or parameters? In his reply, he said it depends on how specific our work.

(i) The price is in RMB without international shipping, I'd guess. And if i can get he little U12 for ~$130, while you guys pay ~$180, then I'd safely add on $100 for shipping/exporting. Safe.

The X20 is pretty cheap lol, so ironically I could afford it, but I couldn't wait till July anyways. I'm glad that they didn't cop out and push out an integrated box like everyone else. I'm pretty stumped on how they will improve it though. They might use the new ES9018 chip, which has slightly lower distortion, different pins, and a larger integrated feature set. Maybe improve the onboard clocks and USB implementation. I think the biggest area of improvement will probably be in the power supply and regulation. Maybe move to a single transformer with more taps as well.

As for the OCXO, it looks pretty cramped in the U12, both chassis and the board. Depending on size and power reqs, you might need a daughter board. I'm not really brave enough to try. Probably better off upgrading to something like the Crysteks, or those fancy smancy new femto clocks.

The new ESS chip wasn't their top of the line model found is almost all desktop DACs, like the X12, it was ESS's smaller, mobile/DAP chips. The ESS9018K2M got replaced by the new, larger ESS9018A2QM, and some lower spec'ed ones got upgrades too. The focus was mostly on the K2M->A2QM upgrade though as this is what the big name DAPs used (Astell & Kern for example).

And abartels, nice work, man! Keep it up. Give some Mu-metal a try on that toroidal. By the way, toroidals are supposed to be great for their low EMI contamination. The field shoots straight up and down form the centre tube, not outward like a doughnut. I'm sure some still does, however, and moving it outside like was said would be best. 

Mar 7, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #852 of 3,700
  (i) The price is in RMB without international shipping, I'd guess. And if i can get he little U12 for ~$130, while you guys pay ~$180, then I'd safely add on $100 for shipping/exporting. Safe.

Here is the U12 readily available for $149 free shipping to the US

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GUSTARD-U12-32Bit-384KHz-DSD-XMOS-USB-Digital-Audio-Interface-/251688780563?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item3a99d20313

Mar 7, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #853 of 3,700

Users who are viewing this thread

Back