Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Mar 10, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #886 of 3,700
I'm proud to be one of the U12 owner,

So far, I've not carried out any modification for my U12.
Gustard/Taobao claims the power from the USB is only for control its switching on/off the U12, so I wouldn't bother to mod the USB power at this stage. The most likely modification I'm considering is to replace the clock. Well....may be 0.01ppm is the reason. 

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #887 of 3,700
  I'm proud to be one of the U12 owner,

So far, I've not carried out any modification for my U12.
Gustard/Taobao claims the power from the USB is only for control its switching on/off the U12, so I wouldn't bother to mod the USB power at this stage. The most likely modification I'm considering is to replace the clock. Well....may be 0.01ppm is the reason. 

Yes, we know U12 is using USB-power for switching on/off the U12 only, but usb-power still does interfere with usb-signal since it's
high-frequency contents interfere within usb-cable. Clean 5V battery power would be best.

Replacing TCXO with OCXO will be a hell of a job to implement, with a high quality external powersupply (which is VERY important) which WILL receive lots of emi/rfi (which we DON'T want). I wouldn't be too surprised if SQ even degrades with that kind of mod,,,,

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #890 of 3,700
  What a fail sorry !!!

I listen it for a couple of hours. It delivers fluid, smooth and full sounding. Drawbacks are reducing the volume, dynamic and emphasis on the bass.
I want to test an Sotm DX USB or an Yellowtec PUC2 Lite. 

You might want to try Chodi's WaveIO ASIO driver - I like it better.  Also give KS and ASIO a try and play a bit with the buffer settings.  They both sound different - on one system I prefer the KS and the other WaveIO ASIO.  These are easy and reversible tweeks - worth a try.

Did we ever get a post that compares the Audio-gd DI-2014 to the Gustard U12?

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/DI2014/DI2014EN.htm

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #891 of 3,700

Hi and i have also one myself not yet installed and i have also a new win 8.1. pc ... are there any driver issues ?

By the way when i see a toroidal transformer feeding a digital circuit i would ask why not use a EI type ?
Usually EI type provide better isolation from mains noise that for digital circuits is critical much more than for analog ones.
Thanks and regards, gino

No drivers issues yet - but can be a bit tricky to install (remove all previous ASIO installs helps)

You are dead on about the EI vs toroidal for power line nose suppression. My Bada uses the an R-core for the preamp section for this reason - and separate massive dual toroidals to feed the output devices (they can deliver greater current on demand)

PS Just noticed Audio-gd offers an R-core trans upgrade for their DI2014 - got to love that company!
R core replace the cycloidal core ,cost +USD10. 

Mar 10, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #893 of 3,700
  Yeah, thanksI see it

Seems like its 230V 0,5 Ampere. Hope its as easy as switching the fuse. Waiting for an answer from the seller thats in dialogue with the factory.

Your transformer has a different number then mine.  Do you mine posting a pic of the whole thing. Mine are 9V .83Amp marked T0015-2015  - yours looks like a 7V 1amp marked T2057-0015.  I wonder if there was a design change at some point?

Maybe a pic of the whole board. - Thanks!

Mar 10, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #894 of 3,700

You might want to try Chodi's WaveIO ASIO driver - I like it better.  Also give KS and ASIO a try and play a bit with the buffer settings.  They both sound different - on one system I prefer the KS and the other WaveIO ASIO.  These are easy and reversible tweeks - worth a try.

You did, but it is buried a few dozens of pages back 
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #896 of 3,700

Thanks - I'll find it.
wink.gif

Page 36 post #535
http://www.head-fi.org/t/736294/gustard-u12-usb-interface-8-core-xmos-chip/525

Yep.
I might want to add that overtime I've really grown on the U12 sound. At least until, I had to send it back for replacement 
biggrin.gif

I am currently waiting for the Gustard X12 to arrive as my new DAC, which will hopefully stay for some time. The U12 replacement should arrive a few days after it.
So a nice Gustard stack with the SA31SE and HE-560 is to hopefully keep me satisfied for some time 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #897 of 3,700
  Yep.
I might want to add that overtime I've really grown on the U12 sound. At least until, I had to send it back for replacement 
biggrin.gif

I am currently waiting for the Gustard X12 to arrive as my new DAC, which will hopefully stay for some time. The U12 replacement should arrive a few days after it.
So a nice Gustard stack with the SA31SE and HE-560 is to hopefully keep me satisfied for some time 
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you have the Gungnir?  Did you have problems with it - or was that someone else?  Anyway - that'll be an awesome stack!
beyersmile.png

Just a FYI another excellent review is on page 38 post #568 - for those new to the thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/736294/gustard-u12-usb-interface-8-core-xmos-chip/555

Mar 10, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #898 of 3,700

Do you have the Gungnir?  Did you have problems with it - or was that someone else?  Anyway - that'll be an awesome stack!
beyersmile.png

Just a FYI another excellent review is on page 38 post #568 - for those new to the thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/736294/gustard-u12-usb-interface-8-core-xmos-chip/555

Sorry, the turnaround of my gear can be pretty fast at times 
biggrin.gif

I did have the Gungnir for like 2 weeks. There weren't any technical problems with it but in the end I've realized it does not have the sound I am after. I still think it is a very good DAC and it does many things right. Its signature just wasn't as much up my alley as I hoped 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #899 of 3,700
  Yep.
biggrin.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

This should tickle your ears very nicely.  We will be running the same setup except that I have the H10 instead of the SA31SE.  The latter is an amp I would really like to listen to and make a direct comparison to the H10.  I have a lot of respect for the Audio_gd sound. I'm really shocked by how good the U12 sounds with Tidal Hifi playing on my tablet.  When I compare the same tracks on CD playing through my Rega Apollo-R, it is very very close.  When I switch back and forth with the DAC input button, I have to be very attentive to tell the difference at all.

Mar 10, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #900 of 3,700

Hi,

Where can I download this driver ?

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back