GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Oct 26, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #3,422 of 5,553
I'll try that out after testing the 797BRZ's, plus I cannot seem to find a seller that sells 823ANZ's and accepts paypal as payment.

Is this upgrade in addition to replacing the OPA134PA? What sonic upgrades are people finding with the 823anz upgrade?

Oct 26, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #3,423 of 5,553
 Great, it sounds like you are on the right track!
wink.gif

There was quite some deviation in burn-in experience for different users reported here. Most report big changes around 70-80 hours, but some say that there was pretty much no burn in, and some said that it fully opened up after about 300 hours.

Very curious about you experience replacing DacMini with SMSL M8 (through the 'eyes' of H10), although we might be shamed for OT here.
 So far DacMini is by far my best dac. I also got 9018-based Apogee Groove and while it is VERY nice portable device, it does not quite measure up to DacMini.

I wonder if the deviation is because we all burn in at different volumes... I burn mine at 10 o'clock on the pot at 0 gain, if that matters.

Sure, will write up on my experience of M8 with H10 and the differences compared to DACmini with H10. I've halted the burn in for now until the M8 arrives, but probably won't get it till two weeks later though (DHL Global Mail is sloooow)

I would like to read about the smsl m8 with the h10 as well!!

No problem, will post my impressions of M8 with H10 when I receive it.
size]

SMSL M8 is a good dac for what you pay.. But the minimum enhancement is to change the power supply you can use SMSL P1 or any good 9V linear power supply.Another place to pay attention with M8 is the USB connection, I encourage you to use very short cable.
 You can add a gustard U20 in front of M8 but you will loose DSD decoding as M8 do not accept I2S.
 It pair well with H10 even if it sound a bit dry..

I did switched from M8 to oppo BDP105 using XLR input and I did gain in transparency and dynamic. It was not a night and day change IMO, the M8 is still a decent DAC for the money (I still use it in different room or when I travel).

Thanks for the advice. I've actually placed an order for SMSL P1 alongside the M8, so they should be arriving around the same time. I also plan to get an Audioquest Jitterbug to use with the M8. Any idea what's a good USB cable that won't break the bank?

Oct 26, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #3,424 of 5,553

Great, it sounds like you are on the right track!
wink.gif

There was quite some deviation in burn-in experience for different users reported here. Most report big changes around 70-80 hours, but some say that there was pretty much no burn in, and some said that it fully opened up after about 300 hours.

Very curious about you experience replacing DacMini with SMSL M8 (through the 'eyes' of H10), although we might be shamed for OT here.
  So far DacMini is by far my best dac. I also got 9018-based Apogee Groove and while it is VERY nice portable device, it does not quite measure up to DacMini.

I wonder if the deviation is because we all burn in at different volumes... I burn mine at 10 o'clock on the pot at 0 gain, if that matters.

Sure, will write up on my experience of M8 with H10 and the differences compared to DACmini with H10. I've halted the burn in for now until the M8 arrives, but probably won't get it till two weeks later though (DHL Global Mail is sloooow)

I would like to read about the smsl m8 with the h10 as well!!

No problem, will post my impressions of M8 with H10 when I receive it.
size]

SMSL M8 is a good dac for what you pay.. But the minimum enhancement is to change the power supply you can use SMSL P1 or any good 9V linear power supply.Another place to pay attention with M8 is the USB connection, I encourage you to use very short cable.
  You can add a gustard U20 in front of M8 but you will loose DSD decoding as M8 do not accept I2S.
  It pair well with H10 even if it sound a bit dry..

I did switched from M8 to oppo BDP105 using XLR input and I did gain in transparency and dynamic. It was not a night and day change IMO, the M8 is still a decent DAC for the money (I still use it in different room or when I travel).

Thanks for the advice. I've actually placed an order for SMSL P1 alongside the M8, so they should be arriving around the same time. I also plan to get an Audioquest Jitterbug to use with the M8. Any idea what's a good USB cable that won't break the bank?

I had the M8 without the P1 feeding the H10 for quite some time and then got the P1.  I couldn't hear any difference between the P1 and the stock power supply.  I like the P1 though for the additional 5/9/12V output for a powered 3.0 USB hub for networking hard drives full of music.

Oct 26, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #3,425 of 5,553
Is this upgrade in addition to replacing the OPA134PA? What sonic upgrades are people finding with the 823anz upgrade?

Yup, you can choose to replace both the opa134 and Ne5532 opamps with the AD797ANZ/BRZ and AD823ANZ. In regards to sonic differences, there are a few posts here and there in this thread you can find via a quick search.

Oct 26, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #3,426 of 5,553
Yup, you can choose to replace both the opa134 and Ne5532 opamps with the AD797ANZ/BRZ and AD823ANZ. In regards to sonic differences, there are a few posts here and there in this thread you can find via a quick search.

Yep, do a thread search and you will find my comments on the combination. A few others have given it a go as well.

Oct 28, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #3,427 of 5,553
Has anyone got impressions on synergy with the h10 and the emotive dac1?curious as to their pairing, as opposed to getting the x12 or something like the bifrost Mb (which is only se I know)

Oct 29, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #3,429 of 5,553
I know the NE5532's in the back are used for balanced to single ended conversion so there's that part of the circuit that wouldn't see a signal when using the rca input, but this is a tough call to make.

I always did wonder why the H10's balanced input was always touted superior to it's rca's when running the H10 SE yields a shorter signal path and one less opamp/channel too boot. Maybe it's the flavour of the 5532 that adds to the perceived increase in SQ but I would've thought different.

Oct 29, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #3,430 of 5,553
On the opamp tip, I know it's a very subjective topic but I'm having great results with a couple of LME49720HA's in place of the 5532's...well actually they replaced 49720NA's, that took the baton out of the 5532's hand.

Through research through diyAudio, GearSlutz, etc..I found this and Muses02 to be regularly and highly recommended as 5532 replacement, and the recommendations continue..here..now.

I really enjoy their added bass authority/texture but also equally notice a more driving nature to music, more life and energy making every song I've listen to more engaging. I guess the proper audiophile term I'm looking for here would be PRAT. I also found there to be an increased presence to vocals with bit more detailed mids (ie: lips smacking, breathing). Treble seemed to be tamed ever so slightly but it was welcomed as the 49720NA's I was previously using could at times be a bit bright.

Being TO-99 mount you have to first trim a third of the length off the pins. Then splay the pins out to fit a DIP-8 arrangement. To aid in getting the right pin in the right hole there's a tiny tab on the opamp pointing to a pin. This pin's correlating hole is the top left hole of the socket. To be technical this is pin #8.

**Important** Due to the arranging of the pins they will no longer be equal length once placed in the socket so after fitting the opamp in the socket pull it back out and find the shortest pin. Then trim all longer pins down to this pin's length. This is to ensure all pins have equal contact with socket.

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #3,431 of 5,553
And what do you know, the H10 makes a superb match for my AAW W500 CIEMS. 

I have gain dialled down -6 and i hear nary a hiss. 

Bass/sub bass is phenomenal. 

Letting my new CIEMS burn in, but i am seriously enjoying this combination. 

It is extremely fun to listen to while retaining gobs of inner detail. 

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #3,432 of 5,553
H10 is an absolute amazing buy. I have recently discovered it has turned my dt770s into something I enjoy more than my he500s. Amazing amp.

Just need a better dac now, am thinking of the smsl m8 that is on massdrop right now.

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #3,433 of 5,553
H10 is an absolute amazing buy. I have recently discovered it has turned my dt770s into something I enjoy more than my he500s. Amazing amp.

Just need a better dac now, am thinking of the smsl m8 that is on massdrop right now.

How many ohms are those DT770?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back