GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Oct 25, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #3,407 of 5,553
Usually burn-in is finished by about 75 hours. Sound still changes afterwards, but it is much more subtle change.

If you still do not like the sound, it may simply be not your kind of sound. Truth is, tastes differ :wink: So do expectations :D

Admittedly, I almost sold my H10 (largest complaint - slightly smeared lows - to my taste), but decided to try 797ANZ upgrade about a month ago - and so far it looks like I am going to be selling my other equipment but H10 is here to stay :wink:

I see in your profile you got some good headphones, but you may need to upgrade your sources (dragonfly?) to get best from H10. For me it personally started to really shine when I started feeding it from Dacmini CX via reasonable cables (do not want to start another cables war here, but if you - like me recently - use $15 RCA cables - that would seriously limit its sound). Wait for that DacPort Slim - never tried it, but I tend to look favourably on anything with CEntrance name on it those days. If you can get your hands on Wireworld Luna 7 stereo to RCA cable, it should be a fine (and relatively inexpensive) way to feed signal from it to H10. And Mediabridge cables do not cut it at all (they are good cables and an amazing value, but at a lower level). Putting my flame suit on :wink:

If I have offended you in any way, and/or you already use better DAC (than what is in your profile) with reasonable cables, I apologise. Just trying to think of reasons (other than taste) why it may not sound its best.

Oct 25, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #3,408 of 5,553
Usually burn-in is finished by about 75 hours. Sound still changes afterwards, but it is much more subtle change.

If you still do not like the sound, it may simply be not your kind of sound. Truth is, tastes differ :wink: So do expectations :D

Admittedly, I almost sold my H10 (largest complaint - slightly smeared lows - to my taste), but decided to try 797ANZ upgrade about a month ago - and so far it looks like I am going to be selling my other equipment but H10 is here to stay :wink:

I see in your profile you got some good headphones, but you may need to upgrade your sources (dragonfly?) to get best from H10. For me it personally started to really shine when I started feeding it from Dacmini CX via reasonable cables (do not want to start another cables war here, but if you - like me recently - use $15 RCA cables - that would seriously limit its sound). Wait for that DacPort Slim - never tried it, but I tend to look favourably on anything with CEntrance name on it those days. If you can get your hands on Wireworld Luna 7 stereo to RCA cable, it should be a fine (and relatively inexpensive) way to feed signal from it to H10. And Mediabridge cables do not cut it at all (they are good cables and an amazing value, but at a lower level). Putting my flame suit on :wink:

If I have offended you in any way, and/or you already use better DAC (than what is in your profile) with reasonable cables, I apologise. Just trying to think of reasons (other than taste) why it may not sound its best.

Olek,
That 797ANZ upgrade only involves purchasing 2 2 797ANZ and replacing the stocks ones, no adaptor required. Is that correct? If so, is there agreement on the best place to buy them?
Thanks

Oct 26, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #3,409 of 5,553
Yes, just replace 2 opamps with 797ANZ, no adapters required. That upgrade stopped me from moving away from H10. There is no agreement on best place to get them, but it is best to stick with reputable dealers of Analog Devices (or you could request one from AD itself). Rumors are that BNZ version is even better, but I have not tried it, and it surely requires adapter with chip soldered on it. I keep that upgrade for the future, when upgrade-itis kicks in.

Oct 26, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #3,410 of 5,553

Thanks for the advice! Don't worry, I'm not offended. I was actually using the DACmini CX with the H10, but just sold the CX to be replaced with a SMSL M8 ES9018 DAC. I am absolutely not using the Dragonfly with the H10, lol.

Strange, my H10 didn't even sound good at 75 hours (thin and lacking dynamics), and only really start to open up after 100 hours. This is with the DACmini CX and Schiit PYST RCA cables. I got my DACmini way before the H10 and it was already burned in fully. However even at 136 hours on the H10, I feel that it still isn't sounding its best. Will continue burning until 200 hours and see how it goes.

Will try out the AD797ANZ though. I'm not new to opamp rolling (did it with my E12DIY), and the 797 seems like a cheap way to improve the H10's sound. Appreciate the suggestion! :)

Oct 26, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #3,411 of 5,553
Great, it sounds like you are on the right track! :wink:

There was quite some deviation in burn-in experience for different users reported here. Most report big changes around 70-80 hours, but some say that there was pretty much no burn in, and some said that it fully opened up after about 300 hours.

Very curious about you experience replacing DacMini with SMSL M8 (through the 'eyes' of H10), although we might be shamed for OT here.

So far DacMini is by far my best dac. I also got 9018-based Apogee Groove and while it is VERY nice portable device, it does not quite measure up to DacMini.

Oct 26, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #3,413 of 5,553

SMSL M8 is a good dac for what you pay.. But the minimum enhancement is to change the power supply you can use SMSL P1 or any good 9V linear power supply.Another place to pay attention with M8 is the USB connection, I encourage you to use very short cable.
You can add a gustard U20 in front of M8 but you will loose DSD decoding as M8 do not accept I2S.
It pair well with H10 even if it sound a bit dry..

I did switched from M8 to oppo BDP105 using XLR input and I did gain in transparency and dynamic. It was not a night and day change IMO, the M8 is still a decent DAC for the money (I still use it in different room or when I travel).

Oct 26, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #3,414 of 5,553
Just ordered some 797BRZ's from analogmetric, can't wait.

So far though I am enjoying the H10 (about 120+ hours in now) with my NFB-15 and (modded)HE-400's, they sound a lot fuller and more 3D when compared to just the NFB-15. If I had to nitpick about one thing it would be that the vocals do sound a bit distant like many others have noted in this thread; it would be perfect if they were just a few steps closer.

Hopefully the 797BRZ's will help in that regard.

But then again that slightly distant vocal does add sort of a more layered sound(it's interesting) and probably less fatiguing sound? (not too sure how to describe it)

Oct 26, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #3,415 of 5,553
  Just ordered some 797BRZ's from analogmetric, can't wait.

So far though I am enjoying the H10 (about 120+ hours in now) with my NFB-15 and (modded)HE-400's, they sound a lot fuller and more 3D when compared to just the NFB-15. If I had to nitpick about one thing it would be that the vocals do sound a bit distant like many others have noted in this thread; it would be perfect if they were just a few steps closer.

Hopefully the 797BRZ's will help in that regard.

But then again that slightly distant vocal does add sort of a more layered sound(it's interesting) and probably less fatiguing sound? (not too sure how to describe it)

Yes this upgrade will make a huge difference.  I recommend that you replace the dual input opamps at the same time with the AD823ANZ too. 

Oct 26, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #3,416 of 5,553
I just received my 797ANZ/823ANZ combo and installed them in my H10 today.  This combo of opamps cleans up the entire audio spectrum from top to bottom.  They tighten up the bass and mid-bass.  Plus you keep all of that wonderful warmness.  The best I can describe it is like when you have a projector that is barely out of focus and you focus it and then it's crystal clear after that.

Oct 26, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #3,417 of 5,553
I ordered the 797anz version, don't want to mess with soldering. Which opamp will these replace?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back