GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Oct 11, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #3,346 of 5,553
  May I ask where (the web site) you bought your BRZ already soldered to the adapter and what the part number is? Do I need two? Thanks.

http://www.analogmetric.com/goods.php?id=2030

This is the single. They have duals as well.

Where are you going to install them. In either case you will need two. Go back a few pages, this has been documented with pictures on a couple of different occasions. In short, if replacing the opa134 opamps on the side near the heatsink)  you need two single opamps,and if the ne5532,  (two opamps at the rear) two dual opamps.
See post 3099 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/735828/gustard-h10-high-current-discrete-class-a-output-stage-headphone-amplifier/3090

(Thanks to stuartmc)

Oct 11, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #3,347 of 5,553
  http://www.analogmetric.com/goods.php?id=2030

This is the single. They have duals as well.

Where are you going to install them. In either case you will need two. Go back a few pages, this has been documented with pictures on a couple of different occasions. In short, if replacing the opa134 opamps on the side near the heatsink)  you need two single opamps,and if the ne5532,  (two opamps at the rear) two dual opamps.
See post 3099 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/735828/gustard-h10-high-current-discrete-class-a-output-stage-headphone-amplifier/3090

(Thanks to stuartmc)

Thanks for the helpful information. I'm ordering BRZ and also try to order "AD823 dual op-amp chips" to replace ne5532, but analogmetric does not carry them. Where did you order "AD823 dual op-amp chips" ?

Oct 12, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #3,348 of 5,553

www.digikey.com

I don't have the specific link.
Here is the info:
AD823ANZ-ND    $6.70
IC OPAMP JFET 16MHZ RRO 8DIP

Oct 12, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #3,350 of 5,553

www.digikey.com

I don't have the specific link.
Here is the info:
AD823ANZ-ND    $6.70
IC OPAMP JFET 16MHZ RRO 8DIP

Thanks. Is AD823ANZ-ND dual op-amp? The digikey site does not say whether it is dual or single op-amp. By the way, do I need replace with both BRZ and AD823 simultaneously or replace only with BRZ for opa134 opamps? What are the differences?

Oct 12, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #3,351 of 5,553
Would this be bad amp for HD800?

To answer your question, as it was put: No; it doesn't appear that the H10 is a 'bad' choice of amp, for just about any 'phones; it's got the current to drive anything but the most stubborn of low impedance hps (read he6) and the voltage to work with high impedance phones, like the Sennheisers.
What's kept this thread with plenty of impetus is the fact that the H10 sounds so much better than its price would suggest. Particularly with planar 'phones. 

If you're asking "Is it a great match with the hd800?". I would guess, not. Fair to good, probably. But not great. I recall that those who have tried the match found that the H10 didn't really do justice to the hd800's powers of resolution. Not as standard, anyway.

BTW, has anyone got a Chinese link for the 797BRZ, ready to fit with the adapters already soldered on? I gotta find out if I can get some of that missing high freq detail back! (And of course, I wouldn't mind if they bump up the other end of the spectrum, a little, either 
bigsmile_face.gif
; I'm currently giving my H10/lcd2f combo the 'MJ Jam' test. Sounds good, but it's definitely missing the lowest notes. And I think that it could sound a little crisper in the highest frequencies. Or maybe I'm just getting old!! 
confused_face.gif
)

Oct 12, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #3,352 of 5,553

Quote:
  Thanks. Is AD823ANZ-ND dual op-amp? The digikey site does not say whether it is dual or single op-amp. By the way, do I need replace with both BRZ and AD823 simultaneously or replace only with BRZ for opa134 opamps? What are the differences?

You can tell by looking at the data sheet. There should be a connection drawing right near the top. I inserted the one for the AD823 above.
Notice the two triangles. Each represents a single  opamp. Notice that there are two of them. It is a dual opamp design. A single opamp will have only one triangle.

Beyond that, I gave you the part number for exactly what I am using. I would not tell you to use a single opamp to replace a dual opamp.

No you do not need to replace both sets. The whole idea of this opamp rolling is to mix and match in order to find the preferred sound for your ears.

Oct 12, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #3,353 of 5,553
Would this be bad amp for HD800?

What BassDigger is saying is truly the consensus of this thread. Mind you, I do not have HD800 myself, so take it with a grain of salt - H10 strength (tube like sound) are not aligned with HD800 strength (transparency).

Now, with 797ANZ H10 is MUCH more precise. I have heard that 797BRZ's are improving on those, and then there is another couple of opamps to upgrade. My bet is those upgrades should move H10's compatibility with  HD800 from 'fair' to 'very good, especially for the price', but it is hard to say without trying, and after all, everybody's taste is different anyway.

Personally, I prefer H10 + HD600 to H10 + H650 (by far), and some people say that HD800 are closer (in character) to HD600 than HD650 (not to say that they are in the same ballpark sound-wise!).

Oct 13, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #3,354 of 5,553

Happy to join the club! 

Did the recommended op-amp roll (all AD op amps).

Source is ifi iUSB -> ifi iDSD.

Streaming Tidal and i'm happy to report that right off the bat, the Gustard has taken the edge off the RS1 (as opposed to being powered by the iDSD's headphone section). 

Very organic, smooth and the treble is no longer harsh as it was on the iDSD (I reckon the iDSD makes for a better source as opposed to a dedicated headphone amp). 

Will let it run in and report back.

Oct 13, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #3,356 of 5,553
  I wish someone would make videos how to op-amp these, im 2 chicken to do it "blindly" eheh

Hiya Walderstorn,

First time changing op-amps today as well and it was pretty easy.

Just make sure you have the correct op-amps. 

All the op-amps that require changing have 8 "pins" that are legs that plug into slots in the PCB. 

* Just think of it as changing tubes, it really is about the same but on a much smaller level. 

Just have a proper light source to identify the op-amps that you are gonna change, a steady hand and some patience and you're good to go. 

The op-amps have a small circle on the bottom left corner (IIRC), just follow that circle for alignment and you're all set. 

Oct 16, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #3,358 of 5,553
Currently giving the Gustard and HD800 a go. 

Very promising, this. 

Oct 16, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #3,360 of 5,553
No more anylytical? is it finally musical by any chance?

I would actually say it is neutral.

The bass goes deep (If it is in the record). 

My op-amps are all changed so i can't tell if the original Gustard will have the same result as mine.

Currently listening to Angel by Massive Attack and the bass is fast and deep with no bloat, vocals are not sibilant as well, which i can appreciate. The soundscape is very organic and separation is fantastic. 

Will give other records a listen and report back, but this is def. listenable to me (Take note that my HD800s have the anaxilus mod as well). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back