GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Oct 2, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #3,331 of 5,554
  Glad to see you join in jaywillin.....welcome aboard!  I'm a big tube guy too and I'm quite happy with the sound I'm getting from the H10.  It turns out that op-amp "swabbing" is just as fun and efficacious as tube rolling -- a wonderful opportunity to "tune your bow." 

thanks capt 
i've rolled a few op-amps when i had my little dots, so i'm sure i'll be cracking my h10 open at some point, still doing some catch up reading, paying particular attention to which op-ams folks are digging

Oct 3, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #3,332 of 5,554
  Well said Bosun Swannie. Hey, I meant to tell ya that I gleaned some real gems from the huge list of "song birds" you sent me...thanks 'mate!  Patty Griffin, "Downtown Church" is one of my new favorites. It kind of reminds me of a better recorded Trinity Sessions.

Hello Captain. Good to hear from you again and also glad to see your penmanship is alive and well in other venues. Glad you are enjoying the "songbirds" I referred. Right now I am enjoying my Shanling PH300 hybrid headphone amp fed by my Rotel RDD-06 dac and Gustard U12 cleaning up the optical out from my iMac playing iTunes lossless files(phew, that's a mouthful!). Oh yes, I forgot, I am using my Beyerdynamic T90's to listen to it all. This setup is very unforgiving of poorly recorded material but is sooo revealing with a well recorded piece. I find the Gustard stack is much more forgiving of poorer quality recordings than this setup. 
I am listening to some amazing blues guitar by numerous artists and thoroughly enjoying myself with this musical smorgasbord.
I would be happy to make some recommendations for you if this is a genre that appeals to you or intrigues you. 
Just wanted to check in and send greetings form the "bosun in the bush". Cheers fellow Gustard shipmates.

Oct 5, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #3,335 of 5,554
Any of you guys tried using DUal OPA627AU's withe AD797Brz? or tried the 627's in the gustard H10 as I have my eyes set on a pair of OPA627AU's and I was curious if any one gave it a try yet?

Oct 7, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #3,336 of 5,554
  Any of you guys tried using DUal OPA627AU's withe AD797Brz? or tried the 627's in the gustard H10 as I have my eyes set on a pair of OPA627AU's and I was curious if any one gave it a try yet?

I haven't tried the dual opa627's, but my experience with the 797BRZ's on adaptors was so good that I have now ordered the dual 797BRZ's from Analog Metric to try in place of the AD823's, my current favorite in that position.

Oct 7, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #3,337 of 5,554
Can't wait for your feedback on dual 797BRZ's, Captain.

I am still totally floored the 797ANZ's upgrade, your previous recommendation, and it is hard to imagine that it can be even better, but I have experienced so many 'jumps' in the sound quality in last year, that I am willing to believe that it can sound better indeed.

BTW - looks like I might have new and shiny O2 amp delivered in 2 days, can't wait to compare it to H10. Sadly, my Bottlehead Crack is playing now catch-up game with H10, no matter what tubes I roll, sound is always a tiny bit behind H10 in some aspects (to MY 1.5 ears,  with inexpensive tubes I have at MY disposal).

Oct 11, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #3,338 of 5,554
So if I were to buy a pair of 797BRZs to replace the stock single channel op amps what would I be gaining regarding sound quality. I also noticed that someone said that I would need to get adapters for them so they actually work. Is that true and is it pop in and play? I don't want to solder anything.

Oct 11, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #3,339 of 5,554

The ANZs pop right in they are DIP8 parts. No adapter is required. The "B" parts require an adapter as they are SOIC  parts designed to be soldered in. Even those, with the adapter, still plug right in to the socket. Some people have bought the chip and adapter individually and soldered the chip to the adapter. I bought mine already soldered to the adapter.

Bottom line, if you buy the 797ANZ parts, they will plug in to the socket directly.

There have been several posts about the difference they make. Check back in the thread a ways, or do a search.

(Edited to correct the part types)

Oct 11, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #3,343 of 5,554
  Sorry for the very stupid question but ... Gustard manufacturer does have a website?

Good question: Not yet. 

It was supposed to be coming soon, but so far - nothing in sight.... 

Cheers,
K

Oct 11, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #3,344 of 5,554
Reverse what mandrake50 wrote and you have it right. The BRZ's are soic and require an adaptor to plug into the H10 socket. The ANZ variant is dip8 and requires no adaptor to fit.

Yes you are right...brain flatulence.... sorry for that...
and I have both, had I looked.

Oct 11, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #3,345 of 5,554

The ANZs pop right in they are DIP8 parts. No adapter is required. The "B" parts require an adapter as they are SOIC  parts designed to be soldered in. Even those, with the adapter, still plug right in to the socket. Some people have bought the chip and adapter individually and soldered the chip to the adapter. I bought mine already soldered to the adapter.

Bottom line, if you buy the 797ANZ parts, they will plug in to the socket directly.

There have been several posts about the difference they make. Check back in the thread a ways, or do a search.

(Edited to correct the part types)

May I ask where (the web site) you bought your BRZ already soldered to the adapter and what the part number is? Do I need two? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back