GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Aug 23, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #3,076 of 5,553
You've got it right. The ANZ models are correct. Also correct with the placement. The 797's are single opamps that replace the opa134's and the 823's are dual opamps that replace the 5532's. Open her up and look closely. You will see the numbers on the chips. There is also a circle that marks pin 1 on each chip and a notch cut out of the end. Replace the chips with the same pin and notch orientation and you're done. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

Hows the 823 top end on your end is it bright or warm. as I looking for a op-amp that similar to the LT1469 but have 3Dish sound stage with tame Highs.While having tight accurate bass. That isn't a metal can op-amp and can be gotten in Dip-8 and doesn't cost a arm and a leg like the muses.

Aug 23, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #3,077 of 5,553

Hows the 823 top end on your end is it bright or warm. as I looking for a op-amp that similar to the LT1469 but have 3Dish sound stage with tame Highs.While having tight accurate bass. That isn't a metal can op-amp and can be gotten in Dip-8 and doesn't cost a arm and a leg like the muses.

I tried several dual opamps to replace the NE5532 and I liked the 823 the best.  It seems to match up beautifully with its stable mate, the 797. The 823 is known to be a very high resolution opamp and its great in the sound stage department. It is not "warm" on top. I think it is quite neutral for having such an extended top end.  If you are looking to "tame" the highs, that suggests to me that you are finding the stock configuration to be too bright. If that is the case, I don't think you will like the 823's.  I would also consider other solutions to your treble problem. I have found that power conditioning, coupled with careful emi/rfi shielding is most effective at delivering that more relaxed, smooth treble that we crave.  I recently replaced all my fuses with a variety that is ceramic and cryogenically treated.  I was quite surprised that this too enhanced  the relaxed, liquid presentation.  

Aug 23, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #3,078 of 5,553
Just a little more on the 823 sound....

In my setup it didn't produce a bigger stage, just more focused and easier to pick up image locations. This may in fact make the sound stage seem more intimate.  This chip has the macro/micro- dynamics nailed!  It gives a very exciting almost punchy sound. What I call "jump factor" is very high with this one.  Some might call this an "aggressive" sound (in fact I read some reviews that used this very word), but to me it just seemed more like listening to live music.  Both frequency extremes are handled well with this chip. The top end, as I said before, is very extended and is probably why the 823 images so well. The bass isn't noticeably lower, but it is noticeably tighter than the other opamps I tried.
Opamps are about "flavors" for the H10.  They are not going to turn salmon steak into filet mignon, but they may just make your favorite dish that much more savory. 

Aug 23, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #3,079 of 5,553
Actually I not on the stock Config for the H10, I been using the AD797 in the single channel sockets and originally the LT1489 which worked very well with the bifrost uber. Once I got the Gustard X12 I had to removed it for the LT1469, Which worked very well. I asked about the AD823 as i seen quiet a few people mention it was bright but could been their config. I mentioned tame highs as alot of the existing op-amps I already have that I tried with the X12 in the chain was either Bright or too much detailed but did sound good but with that major con. Tho the LT1469 highs is neutral it just I just wish it sound image was more 3Dish and maybe a tad more accurate bass.

Aug 23, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #3,080 of 5,553
Actually I not on the stock Config for the H10, I been using the AD797 in the single channel sockets and originally the LT1489 which worked very well with the bifrost uber. Once I got the Gustard X12 I had to removed it for the LT1469, Which worked very well. I asked about the AD823 as i seen quiet a few people mention it was bright but could been their config. I mentioned tame highs as alot of the existing op-amps I already have that I tried with the X12 in the chain was either Bright or too much detailed but did sound good but with that major con. Tho the LT1469 highs is neutral it just I just wish it sound image was more 3Dish and maybe a tad more accurate bass.

Ah, I see. The X12 is quite revealing and will definitely have an impact on what you're hearing through the H10. This stuff is so system dependent that I wouldn't make any universal recommendations, especially with opamps. I'm using highly tweaked/modified HE-560 cans and everything else I have is tuned to them and my unique set of ears.

Aug 23, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #3,081 of 5,553
Thanks for all the advice cap~ i just ordered the pairs of AD797ANZ & AD823ANZ from mouser. Hopefully they'll match up well in my setup since im using a Yulong D200 instead of the X12, i'm hoping that doesnt turn out too bright since the D200 is using a ES9016 chip, then again my H10 is mostly connected to my LCD2 which could use a little bit more brightness. We shall see soon! =)

Aug 23, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #3,082 of 5,553
Thanks for all the advice cap~ i just ordered the pairs of AD797ANZ & AD823ANZ from mouser. Hopefully they'll match up well in my setup since im using a Yulong D200 instead of the X12, i'm hoping that doesnt turn out too bright since the D200 is using a ES9016 chip, then again my H10 is mostly connected to my LCD2 which could use a little bit more brightness. We shall see soon! =)

I would love to do a direct comparison of the X12 to D200. When people talk about Sabre glare, as if it is inherent to the chip itself, the yulong is frequently mentioned along with Matrix. I haven't heard either, but the X12 and X20 don't have any "glare" that I can detect. When I say that the Gustard dacs are revealing, I mean that they resolve very low level information that hovers around the noise floor. It's definitely not hyped treble.

Aug 23, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #3,083 of 5,553
Ah, yeah actually originally i wanted to get an X12, but then i came across a deal that was too good to pass up with the D200, so now i'm probably going to stay with it until i take the dive / leap for the X20 =P which might be a little while.I imagine that the X12 & the D200 should be in very similar ballparks, with the D200 sounding probably slightly brighter. If you were in Cali i would just bring my unit over lol. maybe the next time theres a head-fi meet that i attend i can bring the D200 and someone else can bring a X12 and we can do a comparison

Aug 23, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #3,084 of 5,553
I would love to do a direct comparison of the X12 to D200. When people talk about Sabre glare, as if it is inherent to the chip itself, the yulong is frequently mentioned along with Matrix. I haven't heard either, but the X12 and X20 don't have any "glare" that I can detect. When I say that the Gustard dacs are revealing, I mean that they resolve very low level information that hovers around the noise floor. It's definitely not hyped treble.

I have both DACs. Can you suggest some specific tests, I will be glad to report my impressions.

Cheers

Aug 23, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #3,087 of 5,553
.... The ANZ models are correct. Also correct with the placement. The 797's are single opamps that replace the opa134's and the 823's are dual opamps that replace the 5532's. Open her up and look closely. You will see the numbers on the chips. There is also a circle that marks pin 1 on each chip and a notch cut out of the end. Replace the chips with the same pin and notch orientation and you're done. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

Thank you cap'n.

I'll probably wait a while longer, allow for more burn in, get used to the stock signature and maybe do some A/Bing with my other amp. But I'm looking forward to the op-amp rolling (swabbing) experiment.

Regarding sourcing the op-amps: I'm probably clutching at straws here, but do you recall seeing a post linking to free 'trial' op-amps?

Aug 24, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #3,089 of 5,553
Try the Analog Devices web site. I believe they offer samples for some opamps. Not sure if they are intended for consumers, but worth a shot.

There was a direct link posted a page or two back.
I went through the process and received a pair of AD797ANZ at no cost. They ask a bunch of questions and take a day or two to approve the "order". But they send them out USPS priority mail so I got them in about 4 days after the order.

Aug 24, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #3,090 of 5,553
Try the Analog Devices web site. I believe they offer samples for some opamps. Not sure if they are intended for consumers, but worth a shot.

No, the samples are clearly not intended for regular consumers/hobbyists.  Personally, I wouldn't feel right about exploiting their developers program and more than likely, you will have to lie about your intentions.  We're not talking about a lot of money here folks. It's about $20 for a pair of 797's and $14 for a pair of 823's. We are audiophiles, we are noble and most importantly, we are Swabbies aboard the SS Gustard!  So do the right thing, Ha ha. 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back