GUSTARD H10 High-current Discrete Class A output Stage Headphone Amplifier
Aug 25, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #3,106 of 5,553
You can use a SOIC to DIP-8 adapter pre-mounted with a AD797BRZ, such as these here:

http://cimarrontechnology.com/so8to8-pindipadapterpn970601-3.aspx

http://www.analogmetric.com/goods.php?id=2031

Hey, that's pretty cool if someone will pre-mount it for you and you don't have a DIP-8 version available. It really does beg the question though- is there any audible difference in our application between an ANZ and a BRZ? I have read some educated opinions that it would not, but I would welcome some thoughts on why it would. Do you have an opinion on this?

Aug 25, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #3,107 of 5,553
Sorry don't have much info for ya. There was a nice write up here years ago....
http://www.head-fi.org/t/397691/audio-gd-discrete-op-amps-reviewed-opa-earth-opa-moon-opa-sun-v-2
I'm not convinced yet though, maybe Genclaymore could chime in as he's running BRZ's....:popcorn:

Aug 25, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #3,108 of 5,553
I haven't used the ANZ either, I only got the BRZ because of a deal i found on a pair of them and it was cheaper then getting Two ANZ's at the time.

Aug 27, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #3,109 of 5,553
Ok just got my AD797ANZ and AD823ANZ from mouser and installed them earlier today. Was actually pretty easy to install, though the pins are kinda fragile and i was afraid i was gonna snap it when taking them out the first time around. Then i proceeded to listen to em....

HOLY MOLY~ these chips make a huge difference. If you have an H10 you should most definitely look into changing yours. Clarity and soundstage has most definitely improved across the board. Everything is now super-3D and vocals are surreal~ I'm hearing the microdetails that i had barely heard before in total clarity now. On that note though, i do feel like it might be a bit too transparent lol. Previously, the H10 kind smoothed added a touch of warmth to make everything sound creamier, but at the cost of clarity and a tiny bit of muddyness / veil. Now things are CRYSTAL clear, good and bad haha. Overall i am VERY happy though.

** these are notes with my LCD-2, my new custom SennGradoBeyers, and my 540 ref II (i just sold my HD800 so no notes on that one, sorry =P )

Aug 27, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #3,110 of 5,553
He he.... Told ya Noodlz. They are quite some Windex, eh?... Cleans the sound windows rather nicely. They need a full day or so of playing to settle in. The very top end will relax a wee bit. Now everything else in your system matters more -- power conditioning, vibration isolation, rfi shielding, you name it.

I had read some comments about the 823's that gave the greatest accolades to its rendering of vocals .....yup, most definitely. I nearly wet myself every time I play Eva Cassidy's stuff, especially Live at the Blues Alley. I don't know why this record is not on everyone's list for best live recordings.

Aug 27, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #3,111 of 5,553
lol yep you called it. I figured it might take some time to burn in too (burning them in as we speak =P) I've been putting in some work on the power front (furman power conditioner + Analysis Plus Pro Power Oval Power cables & 2 morrow audio MA2 power cables incoming).

I should look into the vibration isolation & the shielding though. i recall you recommended some 3M shielding sheet & also some vibropods for the feet?

I also heard something about like a copper cap to put around the power cables. Also looking to upgrade my USB cable.. oh man this hobby is so dangerous lol.

All that being said, the chips were pretty cheap. i think it cost me like $40 bucks shipped with tax and all. totally worth it.

Aug 27, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #3,112 of 5,553
  Ok just got my AD797ANZ and AD823ANZ from mouser and installed them earlier today.....

HOLY MOLY~ these chips make a huge difference. If you have an H10 you should most definitely look into changing yours. Clarity and soundstage has most definitely improved across the board. Everything is now super-3D and vocals are surreal~ I'm hearing the microdetails that i had barely heard before in total clarity now. On that note though, i do feel like it might be a bit too transparent lol. Previously, the H10 kind smoothed added a touch of warmth to make everything sound creamier, but at the cost of clarity and a tiny bit of muddyness / veil. Now things are CRYSTAL clear, good and bad haha. Overall i am VERY happy though.

** these are notes with my LCD-2, my new custom SennGradoBeyers, and my 540 ref II (i just sold my HD800 so no notes on that one, sorry =P )

Interesting! It's interesting to read that you find a marked change in the treble.

As I've already written; my impression (of the stock H10) is similar, but slightly different; I find that, with the lcd2f, the treble is uneven. The sort of mid-treble, the metallic part of the spectrum, is emphasised, slightly exaggerated. Whereas the treble above this, the highest frequencies, is subdued and rolled off.

What I'm hoping an op-amp swab will do is even out the treble, rather than increase it. I'm currently finding that the combination of lcd2f and standard H10 a little aggressive (but still lacking ultimate clarity) at the top. I wouldn't want to lose any overall warmth (to the bass and mids).

I'm working at getting some AD797s and 823s coming my way.

Aug 27, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #3,113 of 5,553
Ah~ yeah i'd be very curious to hear your thoughts on the LCD 2F's after you swap out the opamps. on my LCD 2C's the bass and mids haven't changed much if at all in terms of the color / tonality. (though they do have slightly better definition & soundstage. The mid-treble & treble were definitely more rolled off / muddier before, now with the opamps they're crystal clear, i honestly wasn't expecting this much change.

Also to note for those of you with sennheisers, even though i no longer have my HD800s, i bet they would have sounded quite nice. Previously i had used my senn's (HD800, Senngrados, HD 540 ref ii) with the tube amp (valhalla 2) since the H10 was a bit tad too warm / not crisp enough for them. Now with the newfound clarity up top & improved soundstage, they pair up with the H10 quite nicely

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #3,114 of 5,553
I nearly wet myself every time I play Eva Cassidy's stuff, especially Live at the Blues Alley. I don't know why this record is not on everyone's list for best live recordings.

You mean its not? 
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #3,116 of 5,553
Ah~ actually so now having burnt it in since last night, the top end has relaxed now. it's now crisp without being harsh at all. Very happy with both chips in =)

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #3,117 of 5,553
  Ah~ actually so now having burnt it in since last night, the top end has relaxed now. it's now crisp without being harsh at all. Very happy with both chips in =)

popcorn.gif

happy_face1.gif

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #3,118 of 5,553

I've been soaking this configuration in for about a month now. It's really excellent when paired with the X20. The enhanced resolution and soundstaging let's the X20's strengths really shine. It's like a multiplier, because they share the same strengths. I'm such an imaging/soundstaging freak, that I wouldn't mind having an electron microscope to peer into it.... So long as it's not grainy or edgy.

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #3,119 of 5,553
I'm such an imaging/soundstaging freak, that I wouldn't mind having an electron microscope to peer into it.... So long as it's not grainy or edgy.

That is what they use HD800 for, I hear.

Aug 28, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #3,120 of 5,553
He he.... Told ya Noodlz. They are quite some Windex, eh?... Cleans the sound windows rather nicely. They need a full day or so of playing to settle in. The very top end will relax a wee bit. Now everything else in your system matters more -- power conditioning, vibration isolation, rfi shielding, you name it.

I had read some comments about the 823's that gave the greatest accolades to its rendering of vocals .....yup, most definitely. I nearly wet myself every time I play Eva Cassidy's stuff, especially Live at the Blues Alley. I don't know why this record is not on everyone's list for best live recordings.

Captain, my captain! You are indeed correct about the Eva Cassidy album in question. I am listening to it as I type this and I must say that  through the U12/X10/H10/400i combo it is soul stirring, to say the least!
I think it is the best rendition of Bridge Over Troubled Waters that I have ever heard! I am also quite partial to Tall Trees In Georgia, People Get Ready(I'm not even religious!) and Fields of Gold. The whole album is truly top notch, thanks for the recommendation, much appreciated. Greetings and best wishes from your "Bosun in the Bush".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back