GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Apr 11, 2024 at 1:56 AM Post #8,746 of 8,863
Yet they are still prioritizing a lossy format over a lossless format.
If they only have an album in MQA and you turn off MQA in your Roon settings, then “No soup for you!”
But to my understanding, they are removing all of the MQA content so in time there shouldn’t be any MQA files left. I use Roon and have both a Qobuz and a Tidal subscription, and any new music that has been added to Tidal hasn’t had MQA files in a while.

Apr 11, 2024 at 2:05 AM Post #8,747 of 8,863
Pecking order in my experience is NAA > Roon > JPLAY / Bubble UpnP. As to where Tidal Connect sits on that pecking order, not sure but suspect it has parity with or betters the latter two if not at HQP NAA level. Have a listen and see how it compares to Roon.

I agree with you but Tidal connect is slightly higher than JPlay and equal or better than Roon.
NAA > Tidal/Roon > JPLAY / Bubble UpnP

Apr 11, 2024 at 2:15 AM Post #8,748 of 8,863
I agree with you but Tidal connect is slightly higher than JPlay and equal or better than Roon.
NAA > Tidal/Roon > JPLAY / Bubble UpnP
Ok cool, that’s impressive for Tidal Connect, save money AND get great/better sound, with a clean, fast UI to boot…

Apr 11, 2024 at 2:38 AM Post #8,749 of 8,863
Ok cool, that’s impressive for Tidal Connect, save money AND get great/better sound, with a clean, fast UI to boot…
So good that it didn’t even work on the R26 until today! We had to have one of our own hack the firmware. 😂
If anyone thinks tidal connect competes at all with Roon, they have zero idea about how to use Roon.

But to my understanding, they are removing all of the MQA content so in time there shouldn’t be any MQA files left. I use Roon and have both a Qobuz and a Tidal subscription, and any new music that has been added to Tidal hasn’t had MQA files in a while.
With Lenbrook (parent company to NAD Electronics, PSB Loudspeakers, and Bluesound) purchasing MQA, you can bet that the first call from the new owners was to Tidal to continue support.
I’m also skeptical of how “clean” those flacs really are. Very likely many are upconverted mqa instead of true lossless. Good thing @jlaako has provided us with “metering” on HQplayer. 😉

Apr 11, 2024 at 3:47 AM Post #8,750 of 8,863
As promised, I am providing a link to the improved 1v43 firmware.

R26_1v43_no_random_MAC.zip

This is the original firmware in which I disabled random MAC. If someone uses Roon, after uploading to R26 you need to re-enable R26 in Roon Audio
To the question: why did they enable random MAC? I don't understand it at all. Normally this is used for security on public Wi-Fi, but these are devices operating on home networks, so...
When it comes to using Tidal connect on Android, the problem is with certificates. What Gustard shared in firmware 1v43 is the same as what I shared earlier. They didn't come up with anything new because they would have to pay for a certificate, so they used what can be found on GitHub. That's why it doesn't work very well.
is this suitable for A26 devices?

Apr 11, 2024 at 7:26 AM Post #8,753 of 8,863
The last thing left is dsd via upnp and then the equipment will be complete. Respect Wikaudio.
It's bad that a forum member is doing the work that should be done by the creators. This does not reflect well on the gustard company.
If you can't play DSD through upnp, how can you?

Do we have a Gustard representative on the forum? Maybe it's worth writing to the company asking them to delegate someone.

Apr 11, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #8,754 of 8,863
I'm still trying to figure out how to insert an ssh key to get root access to the firmware. I'm using the AH90 firmware 1v43s but this should be the same for the others.
I don't know the password, but I do it by inserting SSH key to R26. I found a description of how to do it HERE
@wikaudio I tried this but for some reason pubkey authentication always fails. ssh -v shows my (linux, macos) client is trying the correct keyfile so I suspect this to be an issue with permissions or the sshd_config. Could you be very specific on
  1. Where you place the .ssh folder and authorized_keys (on the /root path)
  2. What permissions do you give .ssh and .ssh/authorized_keys
  3. How do you adjust your sshd_config? I already set PermitRootLogin and PubkeyAuthentication but still no luck.

Apr 11, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #8,755 of 8,863
I'm still trying to figure out how to insert an ssh key to get root access to the firmware. I'm using the AH90 firmware 1v43s but this should be the same for the others.

@wikaudio I tried this but for some reason pubkey authentication always fails. ssh -v shows my (linux, macos) client is trying the correct keyfile so I suspect this to be an issue with permissions or the sshd_config. Could you be very specific on
  1. Where you place the .ssh folder and authorized_keys (on the /root path)
  2. What permissions do you give .ssh and .ssh/authorized_keys
  3. How do you adjust your sshd_config? I already set PermitRootLogin and PubkeyAuthentication but still no luck.

AH90_Gustarender_1v43s_Tidal_fix.zip
Tidal Connect fix on Android devices

Is this not what you need?

Apr 11, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #8,757 of 8,863
No I want root access to do a security audit, keep the linux up-to-date, monitor performance, configure VLANs, disable some services I don't use, maybe add some myself etcetc. Always nice to have root access!
Everything is in the link to GitHub, below HOWTO is my conversation with the author and the described problem of use in my case of MacBook. You need to use any Linux distribution installed on your computer or a virtual machine on macOS. MacOS, despite its similarities, is not Linux.

Apr 11, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #8,758 of 8,863
Everything is in the link to GitHub, below HOWTO is my conversation with the author and the described problem of use in my case of MacBook. You need to use any Linux distribution installed on your computer or a virtual machine on macOS. MacOS, despite its similarities, is not Linux.
That is correct. I tried it on my fedora workstation initially but it didn't work, that's why I also tried it on the macbook. No luck either. I tried to use an rsa-key instead of ed. I also did chmod 700 to .ssh and chmod 644 to .ssh/authorized_keys (as it should be). I even tried changing the ownership to sshd:sshd. My clients ssh -v shows that it's trying the correct key but the remote ssh always denies access. My feeling is that there is still something wrong with the permissions of .ssh/authorized_keys and sshd cannot use them.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #8,759 of 8,863
UPDATE:

got it! It just occurred to me that all that is needed to get root access is
Code:
sudo chroot root /bin/bash -i
passwd
to set a new root password. No keys required. This works from any debian based distro like fedora, ubuntu, etc (can also be a live system). root is just the root-directory of the firmware (after mounting the sd-card).

I can imaging some of you here might want to do that to disable some services for better performance. A first look at htop showed that the AH90s compute is really, really limited and especially the tidal service seems to be a real hit in performance. I know someone here has had a look at this already for the R26 and found something similar. I'll do a post later on the AH90s thread to check for performance differences etc.

Thanks anyway @wikaudio !!

Apr 11, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #8,760 of 8,863
UPDATE:

got it! It just occurred to me that all that is needed to get root access is
Code:
sudo chroot root /bin/bash -i
passwd
to set a new root password. No keys required. This works from any debian based distro like fedora, ubuntu, etc (can also be a live system). root is just the root-directory of the firmware (after mounting the sd-card).

I can imaging some of you here might want to do that to disable some services for better performance. A first look at htop showed that the AH90s compute is really, really limited and especially the tidal service seems to be a real hit in performance. I know someone here has had a look at this already for the R26 and found something similar. I'll do a post later on the AH90s thread to check for performance differences etc.

Thanks anyway @wikaudio !!
Awesome. Excited to hear about what you find in there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back