GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Apr 10, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #8,731 of 8,863
I was challenged by @Keysee to improve Tidal Connect on Android devices. I put in some time and finally I can say, I DID IT!

I tested on a tablet with Android 10.0 and a phone with the latest TIDAL Music: HiFi, Playlists 2.107.0 APK and it works without any problems.
Below is the link to the firmware.

R26_Gustarender_1v43_Tidal.MAC_fix.zip

As before, this is the original 1v43 firmware containing my 2 fixes: restoring a static MAC address and the ability to control the R26 with Tidal Connect on Android devices.

I hope it works for you too.
Awesome work once again, thank you! Having you as the resident developer for our DAC is pretty cool and much appreciated.
Thanks for your reply I guess my question should have been worded better. I already have Roon ( I built a Roon ROCK ) and a Tidal subscription. I just wondered if there was any advantages to using Tidal connect as opposed to Roon that I was not aware of. I use spotify to listen to the NY Times amplifier playlist that comes out twice a week and occasionally for other things but I mostly listen to Tidal and my own music collection thru Roon.
To restate it, the main and big benefit is to Tidal users without Roon (or other UPnP apps/subscription) to give them stable and direct connection to the R26 without them having to buy and use a Roon (etc) subscription.

Putting aside sound quality for a mo, For Tidal users like you and I who already have Roon and wish to keep it for reasons other than stable, high quality R26 streaming connectivity (eg. Local file playback or its artist info and overall UI) then there is no particular benefit to us, other than another option should we ever wish to ditch Roon in future.

Re sound quality, this varies with the R26 by protocol/app, even where the same streaming service like Tidal is used for each. I actually use the HQplayer NAA as after some experimentation found sounds best out of the various R26 compatible streaming apps and protocols I’ve tried, even when set to no oversampling, let alone using its high quality oversampling filters and modulators with R26 in NOS mode, especially in v5.

Pecking order in my experience is NAA > Roon > JPLAY / Bubble UpnP. As to where Tidal Connect sits on that pecking order, not sure but suspect it has parity with or betters the latter two if not at HQP NAA level. Have a listen and see how it compares to Roon.

Apr 10, 2024 at 2:28 PM Post #8,732 of 8,863
Thanks for your reply I guess my question should have been worded better. I already have Roon ( I built a Roon ROCK ) and a Tidal subscription. I just wondered if there was any advantages to using Tidal connect as opposed to Roon that I was not aware of. I use spotify to listen to the NY Times amplifier playlist that comes out twice a week and occasionally for other things but I mostly listen to Tidal and my own music collection thru Roon.
The most important difference is that in Roon you can set the priority for playing MQA files. In Tidal Connect you cannot decide whether you are playing a file with or without MQA. In Roon it is possible. Personally, I prefer without MQA, I feel like there is a lack of detail, especially at the highest bitrate. That's why I use Tidal Connect occasionally, but only because we have Roon.

Apr 10, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #8,736 of 8,863
fantastic!
I’ll vouch for you on the other threads if need be lol.
I would test it on my A26 but I don’t use Tidal (yuck 🤮) lol
I tried Qobuz a year or so back but I couldn't get past the then multiple gaps in its catalogue for certain artists in genres of music I like to ditch Tidal - it's all about the music after all. So I ran it alongside Tidal for a while till I couldn't justify the two subs (on top of Roon and all my other video streaming subs) any longer. Should give it another go see how their catalogue is now.

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #8,737 of 8,863
fantastic!
I’ll vouch for you on the other threads if need be lol.
I would test it on my A26 but I don’t use Tidal (yuck 🤮) lol
I use Tidal, maybe I would use Quoboz but it is not available in my country. Discrimination! (yuck)
However, I don't have an Android tablet or phone, so I invited my neighbor for coffee. We listened to the music, tested the app and the results are visible.
Now you try:deadhorse:

Below are links to the firmware:

A26_Gustarender_1v43_Tidal.MAC_fix.zip
Random MAC address disabled
Tidal Connect fix on Android devices)

AH90_Gustarender_1v43s_Tidal_fix.zip
Tidal Connect fix on Android devices

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #8,738 of 8,863
I use Tidal, maybe I would use Quoboz but it is not available in my country. Discrimination! (yuck)
However, I don't have an Android tablet or phone, so I invited my neighbor for coffee. We listened to the music, tested the app and the results are visible.
Now you try:deadhorse:

Below are links to the firmware:

A26_Gustarender_1v43_Tidal.MAC_fix.zip
Random MAC address disabled
Tidal Connect fix on Android devices)

AH90_Gustarender_1v43s_Tidal_fix.zip
Tidal Connect fix on Android devices
Amazing
I’m just joking around. My disdain for Tidal has subsided a bit ever since MQA went belly up.
You are the best 🙌🏻🙌🏻
I’ll post it on the other threads

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #8,739 of 8,863
Amazing
I’m just joking around. My disdain for Tidal has subsided a bit ever since MQA went belly up.
You are the best 🙌🏻🙌🏻
I’ll post it on the other threads
Just kidding too. I don't need Quoboz at all.
I prefer to listen to music on vinyl, but since I bought the R26 the gap between digital and analog has blurred. I wanted a device as close to analog equipment as possible and I was not disappointed. I only listen in NOS mode without any upsampling, correction, etc. I'm such a puritan. I have several thousand Hi-Res discs on my NAS, so I won't live long enough to listen to this music. And with Tidal I only listen to what I don't have locally, new releases and to get to know new artists.
I created these files blindly, so I will be grateful if you let me know if they worked

Apr 10, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #8,740 of 8,863
Just kidding too. I don't need Quoboz at all.
I prefer to listen to music on vinyl, but since I bought the R26 the gap between digital and analog has blurred. I wanted a device as close to analog equipment as possible and I was not disappointed. I only listen in NOS mode without any upsampling, correction, etc. I'm such a puritan. I have several thousand Hi-Res discs on my NAS, so I won't live long enough to listen to this music. And with Tidal I only listen to what I don't have locally, new releases and to get to know new artists.
I created these files blindly, so I will be grateful if you let me know if they worked
Totally will
I posted them and tagged you in the respected threads.
I’ll reiterate what @Jake2 said and it amazing that you are able to do this for the community. @Gustard should pay you!

Apr 11, 2024 at 12:29 AM Post #8,741 of 8,863
Spotify and Tidal are streaming services. Spotify offers the worst quality, Tidal offers HiRes files but is very criticized for MQA. Roon, on the other hand, is a local file server and supports streaming services such as Tidal, Quobuz, Kkbox and Dropbox. Of course, in addition to the Roon license, you also need separate licenses for streaming services.
Therefore, your question should be about the comparison between Spotify and Tidal.
Roon is most often used by people who have a lot of HiRes files and also use streaming. However, the price of Roon + streaming is often not acceptable to everyone. Instead, you get an excellent server with one application that works perfectly with many devices.
Actually, Tidal has switched from MQA to all FLAC files, as far as I’m aware.

Apr 11, 2024 at 1:16 AM Post #8,742 of 8,863
Actually, Tidal has switched from MQA to all FLAC files, as far as I’m aware.
Still says this on their page. MQA before 16 bit FLAC is absolute trash!

Attachments

• IMG_9182.jpeg
    IMG_9182.jpeg
    329.3 KB · Views: 0
Apr 11, 2024 at 1:25 AM Post #8,743 of 8,863
tidal has actually switched over, but there are still a few Mqa.
If the app is used on a tablet, smartphone or PC, you may still receive Mqa.
If you have Roon or Audirvana and have set this in the settings so that Mqa is switched off, you will also receive the desired sampled Flac, which was set in the settings.
Although I have been a Tidal user for many years, I didn't like it.
For travelling with iems, however, it was usable.
But now it doesn't matter, it's better without it and always has been before Mqa came out.

Apr 11, 2024 at 1:33 AM Post #8,744 of 8,863
tidal has actually switched over, but there are still a few Mqa.
If the app is used on a tablet, smartphone or PC, you may still receive Mqa.
If you have Roon or Audirvana and have set this in the settings so that Mqa is switched off, you will also receive the desired sampled Flac, which was set in the settings.
Although I have been a Tidal user for many years, I didn't like it.
For travelling with iems, however, it was usable.
But now it doesn't matter, it's better without it and always has been before Mqa came out.
Yet they are still prioritizing a lossy format over a lossless format.
If they only have an album in MQA and you turn off MQA in your Roon settings, then “No soup for you!”

Apr 11, 2024 at 1:53 AM Post #8,745 of 8,863

Users who are viewing this thread

Back