Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Dec 2, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #1,936 of 2,110
I love my Grado RA1is dearly as well, though I also love their little brother, the RS2 (I or e... I have both).

Do you use an amp or a DAC/amp combo with them? If so, which one(s)? If not, what source do you drive them with? Thanks.

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #1,938 of 2,110
I love my Grado RA1is dearly as well, though I also love their little brother, the RS2 (I or e... I have both).

Do you use an amp or a DAC/amp combo with them? If so, which one(s)? If not, what source do you drive them with? Thanks.

I do use multiple dac/amp combo's with the RS1i. My desk top rig is as follows : Mac mini>Redbook/High Res. Music>Audirvana+> Wyrd>PeachTree DAC*iTx DAC> Schiit Asgard 2 (gives the RS1i a faster transient response) or the CypherLabs Picollo (adds weight to the sub-bass presence and liquidity the vocals of the RS1i). I find the DAC*iTx to balance the line between musicality and ultimate neutrality quite well with this set-up. I am due to receive the Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon tomorrow so we will see how it fairs with the RS1i (I can't wait!!!). I have found the CEntrance Hifi M8(w/iem mod) has a black noise floor but to be a smidgeon too sibilance inducing with the Grado and B&O H6 so I use these headphones sparingly with it. I did find the Astell & Kern AK120 Titan to add some amazing articulation to the treble and therefore extend the soundstage of the RS1i significantly. I am really interested in the RS1e actually. I can imagine an even more intimate sound as a result of having a less forward mid-bass presentation?

I just mentioned this the other day…NOBODY does vocals like Grado.

Absolutely!!! I also love that I can retrieve gobs of detail at low volume too.

Dec 2, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #1,939 of 2,110

I do use multiple dac/amp combo's with the RS1i. My desk top rig is as follows : Mac mini>Redbook/High Res. Music>Audirvana+> Wyrd>PeachTree DAC*iTx DAC> Schiit Asgard 2 (gives the RS1i a faster transient response) or the CypherLabs Picollo (adds weight to the sub-bass presence and liquidity the vocals of the RS1i). I find the DAC*iTx to balance the line between musicality and ultimate neutrality quite well with this set-up. I am due to receive the Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon tomorrow so we will see how it fairs with the RS1i (I can't wait!!!). I have found the CEntrance Hifi M8(w/iem mod) has a black noise floor but to be a smidgeon too sibilance inducing with the Grado and B&O H6 so I use these headphones sparingly with it. I did find the Astell & Kern AK120 Titan to add some amazing articulation to the treble and therefore extend the soundstage of the RS1i significantly. I am really interested in the RS1e actually. I can imagine an even more intimate sound as a result of having a less forward mid-bass presentation?

I just mentioned this the other day…NOBODY does vocals like Grado.

Absolutely!!! I also love that I can retrieve gobs of detail at low volume too.

Their strongest suit, IMHO.......wonderful cans for low level listening.

Dec 2, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #1,940 of 2,110
As per other posts, I always love coming back to rs1i and listening in a long session.
There is something about these that keep me coming back and wanting more.
Will never sell these.
:)

Dec 2, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #1,941 of 2,110
As per other posts, I always love coming back to rs1i and listening in a long session.
There is something about these that keep me coming back and wanting more.
Will never sell these.
smily_headphones1.gif

+1

Dec 4, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #1,942 of 2,110
I have been considering getting the RS1i. I found an ex-demo pair on Audio-Visual Online (UK based) https://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/product/19328/grado-rs1i-reference-headphones&source=Froogle&utm_source=Froogle&utm_campaign=Froogle&utm_content=X-GRAD-RS1I?gclid=CLHk9fKww8kCFQeNGwodyq8Dpg

The reason I was looking at them was because I am kind of stuck in choosing in the Grado line up. PS1000 is just too expensive. The 325e is said to be only better than the 225e by a margin and I own the 225e. (However that margin might be all I need to get the headphone I want.) The RS2e is like an enigma, because I don't know enough about it to know its signature.

The RS1 original graphs of frequency response, showed a nice balance between the lower frequencies and the higher. Meaning it would not be even fractionally treble hot. Then I started reading this thread and saw other saying how much more balanced it is that some other Grado.

Anyway £500 is a bit rich for me, for the RS1i I linked above. Therefor I posted it here in case anyone else is looking. (Having said that, I wonder if the retailer would negotiate.)

My only other slight quiblle is that I think I might like an e-series headphone. I say only slightly because I have no doubt the original PS1000 is dream-boat scenario for sound quality. Plus I adored my SR125i.

Dec 4, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #1,943 of 2,110
  I have been considering getting the RS1i. I found an ex-demo pair on Audio-Visual Online (UK based) https://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/product/19328/grado-rs1i-reference-headphones&source=Froogle&utm_source=Froogle&utm_campaign=Froogle&utm_content=X-GRAD-RS1I?gclid=CLHk9fKww8kCFQeNGwodyq8Dpg

The reason I was looking at them was because I am kind of stuck in choosing in the Grado line up. PS1000 is just too expensive. The 325e is said to be only better than the 225e by a margin and I own the 225e. (However that margin might be all I need to get the headphone I want.) The RS2e is like an enigma, because I don't know enough about it to know its signature.

The RS1 original graphs of frequency response, showed a nice balance between the lower frequencies and the higher. Meaning it would not be even fractionally treble hot. Then I started reading this thread and saw other saying how much more balanced it is that some other Grado.

Anyway £500 is a bit rich for me, for the RS1i I linked above. Therefor I posted it here in case anyone else is looking. (Having said that, I wonder if the retailer would negotiate.)

My only other slight quiblle is that I think I might like an e-series headphone. I say only slightly because I have no doubt the original PS1000 is dream-boat scenario for sound quality. Plus I adored my SR125i.

I suggest - keeping in mind that it's not my money - that you make an offer to this dealer
(be sure it's the decisionmaker there, use the Web and ask also) that's fully within your
means.  Leave a little room as well.  

It seems to me that there's no downside for you other than possibly a "no, thanks".

Also, think somewhat about how you're going to present your offer. 
There is a bit of an art to it.

Of course, you might hear a "yes" or - IME more likely - something like
"Well, you've got to come up a bit." If s/he says something like that,
you pretty much have a deal in that it's been put back in your hands.

(BTW, I wouldn't be offering my thoughts on this if I didn't have
experience with it.  Feel free to send me a PM if you'd like to
discuss that aspect.) 
smile.gif

You know that if you don't engage this dealer about the headphones,
your chances of getting them are virtually none (as I understand the
situation).  If you talk with them at all, your chances go up significantly.

Dec 4, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #1,944 of 2,110
Dec 4, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #1,947 of 2,110
  @zazex
@XLR8
Thank you. Yeah I think the first question to ask is, are they RS1i with i-drivers or e-drivers.

Most welcome.
cool.gif

Yes, you've both got to be clear on what it is you're buying,
or at least talking about.  

Among other points, try proposing at least a short "review" period, maybe 3-5 days,
during which you can determine if they're defective in any way.

Dec 4, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #1,948 of 2,110

Many folks consider the RS1e to be a step DOWN from the RS1i. Like other e series, it has slightly tamed treble and somewhat enhanced bass as compared to its -i counterpart. UNLIKE other e series, it also has an odd hump or valley (I forget which) in the midrange that some find bothersome. Furthermore, the original RS1e has the driver protruding 1/4" above the edge of the wood closest to your ear. This movesmthemdrivermcloser to the ear and shrinks the sound stage, though provides more intimacy. The most recent RS1e has the driver flush with the wood edge, hence pulled back a bit, and folks like it better. I'd look for that one.

Here is the frequency response, as reported by innerfidelity.com, of the RS1e. Note the falloff at high frequencies:

...and for the RS1 original:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back