Grado RS1 eats AD2000 for breakfast!
Mar 20, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #16 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find the RS1 to be like the "light" version of the AD2000, as if it went and got a full treble-tilt treatment.

I still prefer the AD2000 by a long-shot (whenever I listen with it it's just so amazing!)
but the RS1 definitely crushes it when it comes to putting a positive spin on groovetastic-ness and sizzle & spark. I think "electric" describes the RS1 at its best - on high-octane, hard-driving music, it's spookily alive!

I agree with the quoted parts above, especially the bolded (for emphasis) parts. I think your thread title is quite misleading, given that you "still prefer the AD2000 by a long shot!" Me too.

I'd take that statement one step further. Where you've said that the "RS1 definitely crushes it when it comes to putting a positive spin..." that's where the RS-1 just crushes (destroys) the musical enjoyment for me! The hopped up RS-1 treble is terribly over exaggerated and makes me want to yank them off me head in about 30 seconds. Sensitive ears, what can I say?

That's the biggest negative factor of the RS-1 for me, whereas you're describing it as the biggest positive factor of the RS-1. I think I would probably agree if only my ears could take all of that upper end energy, but sadly they cannot. This is not to condemn the RS-1 outright, as I can see why people would love this about them. I'm just saddened by the fact that I can't.

But on the other hand I have no problem at all with the upper register energy of the Qualia 010, so I have that base covered. Guess I'll never be an RS-1 owner and that's Ok.

Mar 20, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #17 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. I use them in only faster and intense music where dynamics are on the quick pace changes, not in the background details and volume. For anything more subtle, or something where I need sound that keeps the instruments and layers in their correct depths and places, I switch for K601. That counts for quite a lot of metal bands too.

Yea, that's how I feel. And I generally switch to the W5000 for everything more articulate. But the AT's can very nearly keep up with the RS-1's in the area of dynamics, so I find myself not using the grados. What the grado does have over the W5000 is the impact that is felt from instruments.

I may be giving up my pair
frown.gif

Mar 20, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #18 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've noticed the same thing, Asr. I'll rotate the RS-1 out of the lineup for a few weeks and then it blows me away when I come back to it. Not the perfect headphone for everything, but it has something special you just don't get everywhere.

Do you like jazz? I use the RS-1 for jazz often, in addition to rock. It'll put some sizzle on uptempo numbers.

Depends on the jazz. List some artists and I'll look into them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the RS-1's for rock, but I am starting to realize why I have sold them two times already. I don't feel they do well with slower paced music like soul, r&b, jazz, etc. Do you all mainly listen to rock with them?

I don't really think the RS1 can be pigeon-holed into genres. Regardless of which ones I listened to it with (jazz, blues, bluegrass, alt-country, prog rock, alternative, and some trip-hop) I merely found it to perform best on hard-energy music, or to put it another way, anything with attitude and/or drama. The more "excitable" the music, the better the RS1 goes with it, I find.

I suspect the RS1 would be really good for uptempo classic dance music like samba, bossanova, etc. Any music suggestions there? The closest related stuff I have is Thievery Corporation.
redface.gif

Mar 20, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #19 of 100
Quote:

I merely found it to perform best on hard-energy music, or to put it another way, anything with attitude and/or drama. The more "excitable" the music, the better the RS1 goes with it, I find.

Precisely.

Quote:

Yea, that's how I feel. And I generally switch to the W5000 for everything more articulate. But the AT's can very nearly keep up with the RS-1's in the area of dynamics, so I find myself not using the grados. What the grado does have over the W5000 is the impact that is felt from instruments.

I may be giving up my pair
frown.gif

Isnt the impact enough? Wouldnt it be good to have a pair of headphones with great sense of impact, for the moments when you just want screw subtleties, crank up the volume and listen the energy? If your music collection/taste has something for the moods like that of course. After getting rid of them, you'll probaply miss them, and buy them back again.
tongue.gif

Mar 20, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #20 of 100
Quote:

I don't really think the RS1 can be pigeon-holed into genres. Regardless of which ones I listened to it with (jazz, blues, bluegrass, alt-country, prog rock, alternative, and some trip-hop) I merely found it to perform best on hard-energy music, or to put it another way, anything with attitude and/or drama. The more "excitable" the music, the better the RS1 goes with it, I find.

Maybe not genres but definitely in regards to tempo. For music that is slower paced a lot of other phones I have tried are much better due to their instrument seperation, detail, soundstage,imaging, and openness. But this is just my $.02.

Mar 20, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #21 of 100
You should try them with flat pads as well and see how you like them. There are a lot of RS-1 owners who prefer them that way. The GS-1000 pads also sound interesting on them.

-Alex-

Mar 21, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #22 of 100
I so enjoyed reading your description of the RS1's as 'electric' ...

Such a fine fine descriptor.

I'm a huge fan myself (and owner) of the RS1's ...

I pretty much love anything and everything I listen to through them, having only a pair of Shure SE530's and Senn HD580's on hand to compete with them.

Anyway ... I just wanted to say that I've found they work very very well with some of the more modern indie artists, like Grant Lee Phillips, who have decided to not only stick to very traditional and even vintage instrumentation in their works ... but who have also very obviously decided to integrate tastefully used and sparse electronica influences ...

Check this post in the listening now thread for some highly highly recommended RS1 listening material: Sounds Good on Grado RS1's

Just a friendly FYI.

(and BTW... DAMN YOU for making me now want to buy the AD2000's now!!)

wink.gif

Mar 21, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #23 of 100
I have noticed that older RS1's had a fuller sound to them...I actually do not care for the newer ones as much. I really liked the rs1 with the lighter buttons - and recently auditioned a new rs1 - I told them that they might want to burn it in more - because it was not full.

Mar 21, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #24 of 100
FLAT PADS. FLAT PADS. AGAIN. [size=medium]FLAT PADS!!![/size]
smily_headphones1.gif

Take my word on that. The RS-1's sound just unnaturally bright to me with bowls... but absolutely perfect with flats.

Mar 21, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #25 of 100
Go team RS-1! I need to update my sig one of these days.
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #26 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have noticed that older RS1's had a fuller sound to them...I actually do not care for the newer ones as much. I really liked the rs1 with the lighter buttons - and recently auditioned a new rs1 - I told them that they might want to burn it in more - because it was not full.

They DO seem to sound different. I've had a few different vintages and the early brown-headband and slightly later early serial-number RS1s seem to have a richer, more coherent sound, without any treble spike. I haven't heard the newest versions, however.

o

Mar 21, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #27 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I kinda liked my previous button-type RS1 more too. I think the newest one sounds good too though. In any case, an older type wouldn't do me much good - I always have to own the latest and greatest production models! Plus I already owned the previous type, getting the same type again would've bothered me more.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FLAT PADS. FLAT PADS. AGAIN. [size=medium]FLAT PADS!!![/size]
smily_headphones1.gif

Take my word on that. The RS-1's sound just unnaturally bright to me with bowls... but absolutely perfect with flats.

I don't know about that, I kinda found the RS1 w/ flats to have farty bass. But to each his own.
wink.gif
I'll probably wind up getting a set anyway, [AK]Zip certainly knows that it'll be doubly more useful in about a week or so...
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #28 of 100
I have to agree with Asr, in that the flats add a bit of a farty bass sound which isn't particullary pleasing to my ears. The bowls seem to add a little bit of soundstage while levelling the sound overall. I guess my ears are used to or more suited for the brightness of the RS-1's. Also my RS-1's have been recabled by APureSound, which also probably helps tames the highs a liitle bit.

Mar 21, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #29 of 100
When I listen to ESW9 I hear a lot of Gradoness up there, it is just funny you have mentioned that as well, only with another AT.
Do you use the same amp?

Quote:

I find the RS1 to be like the "light" version of the AD2000, as if it went and got a full treble-tilt treatment. That fantastic AD2K mid-range pretty much disappears and gets replaced by a much flatter response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back