Grado RS1 eats AD2000 for breakfast!
Mar 20, 2008 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 100

Asr

Headphoneus Supremus
The last time I owned the RS1, I had no AD2000 to compare it to (the AD2K had been stolen so I went without them for a time). Well I recently went and got the RS1 again, this one of course the latest one without the buttons (my previous one had the buttons), and this time, I have the AD2000.
smily_headphones1.gif

After spending some time with the new RS1, all I have to say is wow! These don't sound exactly like my former buttoned ones but it's close enough, and ABX'ing them against the AD2000 shows me exactly where these excel (it was a bit harder to discern against my K701 last time).

The AD2000 is definitely a darker headphone. It's like ooo-la-la when it comes to that awesomely full & expressive mid-range. And when I move to the AD2000 from the RS1, I still can't help but be mesmerized by the AT, it's just an amazingly musical headphone!

I find the RS1 to be like the "light" version of the AD2000, as if it went and got a full treble-tilt treatment. That fantastic AD2K mid-range pretty much disappears and gets replaced by a much flatter response. But in place of it....whoa! The RS1 sounds positively light and electric. Last time I was really impressed by the RS1's sense of life and energy. This time I'm in even more awe of it now that I have more music to spin it with. I definitely find the RS1 to put a thrilling spin on already-energetic music, like alt-country, bluegrass, prog rock, etc. It has such a fast, light-weight touch that dances through those genres.

I still prefer the AD2000 by a long-shot (whenever I listen with it it's just so amazing!) but the RS1 definitely crushes it when it comes to putting a positive spin on groovetastic-ness and sizzle & spark. I think "electric" describes the RS1 at its best - on high-octane, hard-driving music, it's spookily alive!

I have to know what music the other RS1 owners are listening to now, I need to broaden my horizons and get even more of this fantastic RS1 goodness.
smily_headphones1.gif

rs1_x3.jpg

Mar 20, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #5 of 100
Grado gets in your blood ... no denying that. Keep enjoying.

Mar 20, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #7 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RS1 is front row center. Just a little to relentless for my tastes.

By front row center you mean "best seats in the house"
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #9 of 100
Great impressions -- thanks for the update. I have ADKs and an older pair of RS1s and I find them quite different and complementary animals. The RS1s are more focused and (with flats) dazzling in their immediacy and the ADKs strike me as the most satisfying all-rounders I've met yet in the headphone world. Despite my unholy desire for a set of DX1000s, I'd say that this is the pairing I've been happiest with, irrespective of price. They're a dazzling duo indeed.

best,

o

Mar 20, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #10 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have to know what music the other RS1 owners are listening to now, I need to broaden my horizons and get even more of this fantastic RS1 goodness.
smily_headphones1.gif

Last few days my RS-1's have seen some Sphongle, Alison Krauss, older Police stuff, Clapton unplugged.

Sphongle tracks- "Once upon the sea of blissful awareness" & "Around the world in a tea daze" both are worth a listen on RS-1's even if you don't care for the genre. The timing on the tracks is difficult for alot of cans to follow. The grados dance right on through.

The Clapton unplugged album has all kinds of subtle stage movement and bumping of equipment. With less forward cans you are kind of aware there is some stuff going on on stage. With RS-1s the musicians are dropping stuff on your foot.

Your post makes me want AD2000's, but my wallet needs serious r & r for a few months. Probably next in line for me though.

Mar 20, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #11 of 100
Awesome can! Currently listening some Jungle Rot. Not most artistic band out there (not that there is overabundance of them in deathmetal anyway.), but damn catchy and headbanging in its own midpaced and crushing no-nonsense sound, and simply sounds great with RS1 IME. Sonics match perfectly.

Mar 20, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #12 of 100
I've noticed the same thing, Asr. I'll rotate the RS-1 out of the lineup for a few weeks and then it blows me away when I come back to it. Not the perfect headphone for everything, but it has something special you just don't get everywhere.

Do you like jazz? I use the RS-1 for jazz often, in addition to rock. It'll put some sizzle on uptempo numbers.

Mar 20, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #13 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by bada bing /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Clapton unplugged album has all kinds of subtle stage movement and bumping of equipment. With less forward cans you are kind of aware there is some stuff going on on stage. With RS-1s the musicians are dropping stuff on your foot.

This album sounds so good and detailed on my set-up with RS-1's that I end-up falling asleep after the first 3 songs.
biggrin.gif
frown.gif

Mar 20, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #14 of 100
I love the RS-1's for rock, but I am starting to realize why I have sold them two times already. I don't feel they do well with slower paced music like soul, r&b, jazz, etc. Do you all mainly listen to rock with them?

Mar 20, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #15 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the RS-1's for rock, but I am starting to realize why I have sold them two times already. I don't feel they do well with slower paced music like soul, r&b, jazz, etc. Do you all mainly listen to rock with them?

Yes. I use them in only faster and intense music where dynamics are on the quick pace changes, not in the background details and volume. For anything more subtle, or something where I need sound that keeps the instruments and layers in their correct depths and places, I switch for K601. That counts for quite a lot of metal bands too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back