Grado GH-1 Discussion
Jan 29, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #511 of 1,091
  Mmmhmm,

I think I see a GH1 coming my way.
eek.gif

Was hoping to be "done" with Grado's for a while,
but the raves about this headphone from all quarters
are tough to resist....especially as it's a Ltd. Ed.

When the GH-1 came out, I was one of their toughest critics. However, my crtics were always about their packaging, never on their sound quality.

I don't remember reading one negative comment about their sound quality.

This is why, If I were you, I'd pull the trigger asap, because I wouldn't be surprised, if the price doubles, once the GH-1's production comes to an end.

Jan 29, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #512 of 1,091
  You guys sound like a buch of GH-1 fanboys. They're amazing, fine, we get it. And I'm fed up of reading how the G-cush are an absolute must, and how much we're missing if we're still using the stock pads. So please do rest of us a favor, and stop forcing your views on the rest of us!

Who's forcing? As far as being a GH1 fanboy: guilty as charged. I personally prefer the bigger pads but they sound fine without them. I let my mom listen to them with both pads and she preferred the L-pads. Whatever. To each his (or her) own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacker45 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can't believe that after all this time, Grado hasn't finished chopping up that magic tree. I mean it would be interresting to know how many GH-1 were produced.
rolleyes.gif

Maybe they chopped up a second tree and didn't tell anyone :wink:

Jan 29, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #515 of 1,091
I wanted to capture some of my first impressions with the GH1 with two hours on them. Right from the go these sound amazing, the "e" series treatment is very aperient with it's elevated sound that I have witnessed with other "e" series Grado's.  The difference with these are the beautiful and plentiful bass yet very detailed sound that is very transparent and has this 3d like presentation.

I first tried comparing them to my original PS500's but found it difficult volume matching them, but from what I could hear the PS500 was very laid back and lacked the attach of the GH1.

I then compared them to the RS2e which was much closer in sound, but found the GH1 to be a little smoother and less aggressive as the RS2e. There is more bass in the GH1 but just as much transparency as the RS2e.

Then finally the GH1 vs RS1e; the GH1 sounded better out of the box while the RS1e needed a few hours put through them before they started to shine. The RS1e has a warmer sound signature overall with less bass and some smoother treble while the GH1 is more aggressive with more bass. It was a closer match with the RS2e than the RS1e but these are just my first impressions and I'll put some more head time on the GH1 and RS1e before I draw any conclusions.

Jan 29, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #516 of 1,091

Then finally the GH1 vs RS1e; the GH1 sounded better out of the box while the RS1e needed a few hours put through them before they started to shine. The RS1e has a warmer sound signature overall with less bass and some smoother treble while the GH1 is more aggressive with more bass. It was a closer match with the RS2e than the RS1e but these are just my first impressions and I'll put some more head time on the GH1 and RS1e before I draw any conclusions.

I'm glad that the RS1 improves noticeably with burn-in. My first impression of them was not overwhelmingly positive. I mean I like them, but to my ears they tilt a little too far toward the treble while the GH1 tilts more toward the bass, but still has adequate treble for me; the mids are excellent in both. Some have been saying they prefer the RS1 mids but I think they're about equal.

I think a better comparison for the GH1 is the PS500e. I've compared them in a shop and they are very close. The salesman said he thinks the GH1 is basically a PS500e in maple cups. This reviewer agrees with the salesman, even though Grado apparently denies that they use the same driver. If they're not identical they are very similar.

"The new PS500E and the GH1 share identical bass quantity and treble, literally.  It is 99% the same, despite the GH1 being an entirely new driver design.  Grado let me know that the GH1 is not a rehash driver, but entirely new and specially designed to sound the way it does.  I am beyond shocked by this, as I’ve failed blind testing repeatedly over the course of weeks when comparing them to the PS500E."

Jan 29, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #517 of 1,091

I'm glad that the RS1 improves noticeably with burn-in. My first impression of them was not overwhelmingly positive. I mean I like them, by to my ears they tilt a little too far toward the treble while the GH1 tilts more toward the bass, but still has adequate treble for me; the mids are excellent in both. Some have been saying they prefer the RS1 mids but I think they're about equal.

I think a better comparison for the GH1 is the PS500e. I've compared them in a shop and they are very close. The salesman said he thinks the GH1 is basically a PS500e in maple cups. This reviewer agrees with the salesman, even though Grado apparently denies that they use the same driver. If they're not identical they are very similar.

"The new PS500E and the GH1 share identical bass quantity and treble, literally.  It is 99% the same, despite the GH1 being an entirely new driver design.  Grado let me know that the GH1 is not a rehash driver, but entirely new and specially designed to sound the way it does.  I am beyond shocked by this, as I’ve failed blind testing repeatedly over the course of weeks when comparing them to the PS500E."

Considering the similarities with the PS500E is it worth getting the GH-1 at all if one doesn't care about the collectible value of it or would the PS500E be the better buy?

Jan 29, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #518 of 1,091

Considering the similarities with the PS500E is it worth getting the GH-1 at all if one doesn't care about the collectible value of it or would the PS500E be the better buy?

If someone already owned a PS500e I wouldn't recommend they get a GH1 other than for its value as a collectible. If you were deciding between the two sets, it's fifty bucks different, not a big deal. I think the novelty of it as a limited edition makes the $50 easy to justify. I also prefer the look of the wood cups. But if the GH1 sells out and people read through this thread and want to get something that sounds like the GH1, or they're just curious what they sound like, the PS500e is pretty close, and will be available long after this one has sold out.

Jan 29, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #519 of 1,091

If someone already owned a PS500e I wouldn't recommend they get a GH1 other than for its value as a collectible. If you were deciding between the two sets, it's fifty bucks different, not a big deal. I think the novelty of it as a limited edition makes the $50 easy to justify. I also prefer the look of the wood cups. But if the GH1 sells out and people read through this thread and want to get something that sounds like the GH1, or they're just curious what they sound like, the PS500e is pretty close, and will be available long after this one has sold out.

Unlike the GH-1, the PS500e shares with the top-of-the-line PS1000e the use of a wooden inner cup contained within the visible metal outer cup.  Grado says that they use this construction to minimize unwanted resonances.  So there may be a construction advantage to the PS500e.

Jan 29, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #520 of 1,091
  Unlike the GH-1, the PS500e shares with the top-of-the-line PS1000e the use of a wooden inner cup contained within the visible metal outer cup.  Grado says that they use this construction to minimize unwanted resonances.  So there may be a construction advantage to the PS500e.

Maybe, but that sounds a lot like marketing mumbo-jumbo. The RS1 is supposed to be (or was when it was introduced) their 'reference' headphone, and it's in a wood housing. Is there any chart or graph or objective test that can measure these 'unwanted resonances'? I'd be really curious to see a comparison of the GH1 and PS500e. Personally, the resonances I detect in the GH1 are of the 'wanted' variety :wink: 

It could be that the firmness of the metal surrounding the wood might help the PS500 produce less distortion at high volume. I haven't done a high volume comparison of both sets but that might be interesting. I don't normally like to crank them and if I owned the PS500e instead of the GH1 I doubt I'd listen to them at higher volume than I do with my GH1.

Jan 29, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #521 of 1,091
  I wanted to capture some of my first impressions with the GH1 with two hours on them. Right from the go these sound amazing, the "e" series treatment is very aperient with it's elevated sound that I have witnessed with other "e" series Grado's.  The difference with these are the beautiful and plentiful bass yet very detailed sound that is very transparent and has this 3d like presentation.

I first tried comparing them to my original PS500's but found it difficult volume matching them, but from what I could hear the PS500 was very laid back and lacked the attach of the GH1.

I then compared them to the RS2e which was much closer in sound, but found the GH1 to be a little smoother and less aggressive as the RS2e. There is more bass in the GH1 but just as much transparency as the RS2e.

After your finished with your comparisons, I'd like to hear what you think of the GH-1 with Grado (G) cushions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back