Grado GH-1 Discussion
Jan 28, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #496 of 1,091
Jan 28, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #498 of 1,091
  I wonder if anyone has the "new" (i.e. "corrected") RS1e AND
the GH1.
If so, would that individual care to express a preference for one or the other?
Thanks,

I would really like to hear these impressions also.
We know @Oracle has the RS1e with flush mounted drivers and will be receiving the GH-1 soon. The only thing is, they should be listened to in "stock" form, then listened to with (G) cushions as well.

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #499 of 1,091

See post #86 on this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/794247/grado-rs1e-matters-and-impressions/75.
In short I am very impressed with them, and there has certainly been some changes since my first pair back when the "e" series was first released. I'm glad I gave these another chance.

Thanks!  Sounds like they corrected something, but it's a bit strange they are not stating as such (based on comments in the other thread).  If they changed something about the housing, or if the early models were simply defective in some way, it would be nice for them to acknowledge this as opposed to stating everything is exactly the same and no changes were made.

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #500 of 1,091
  I wonder if anyone has the "new" (i.e. "corrected") RS1e AND
the GH1.

If so, would that individual care to express a preference for one or the other?

Thanks,

I own the GH1 and took it to a shop to audition against the RS1 and have heard both sets back to back for a couple hours and in a blind test I don't understand how anyone would take the RS1e over the GH1. The RS1 by comparison sounds thin and harsh and totally lacking bass which denies it the depth of sound the GH1 can produce. If you're deciding between those two sets of cans it's a no brainer: get a pair of GH-1's before they're gone, and like many reviewers have suggested, get a set of G-pads to make the most of their sound. They sound fine out of the stock pads but I took the advice of the forums and got a pair of G-cush pads and I do prefer the sound and feel of them over the stock L-cush pads.

We know @Oracle has the RS1e with flush mounted drivers and will be receiving the GH-1 soon. The only thing is, they should be listened to in "stock" form, then listened to with (G) cushions as well.

I'm amazed you don't already have a set of GH1's. Seriously get a pair and thank me tomorrow. You don't want to be head-fi's Grado expert who doesn't own a set of these cans. They will seriously rock your socks.

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #501 of 1,091
  I have heard both back to back for a couple hours and in a blind test I don't understand how anyone would take the RS1e over the GH1. The RS1 by comparison sounds thin and harsh and totally lacking bass. The GH1 really is an extraordinary feat of engineering by Grado.

After owning my GH-1 for some time, I actually contacted Grado and basically told them the same thing.
beerchug.gif

Jan 28, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #502 of 1,091
I have heard both back to back for a couple hours and in a blind test I don't understand how anyone would take the RS1e over the GH1. The RS1 by comparison sounds thin and harsh and totally lacking bass. The GH1 really is an extraordinary feat of engineering by Grado.

Was that with G Cush or the stock L bowls on the GH-1? Thanks!

Jan 28, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #503 of 1,091
Was that with G Cush or the stock L bowls on the GH-1? Thanks!

I A-B'd them with the stock pads and preferred the GH1 by a country mile. Really not a close choice. If you just asked a random person "which is better?" 9 out of 10 would say the GH1. Then you take them home and switch out the pads for G-cush and they are pretty much the coolest thing since sliced bread. 

Some people think these headphones are some kind of gimmick or whatever but they're a set of cans that will be famous for years. I'm not promoting them because Grado is paying me to do it, I'm telling people to buy something that's a good purchase and something they'll enjoy and will be able to re-sell for at least as much as they paid for them (not that you'll ever want to get rid of them).

Jan 28, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #504 of 1,091
@Bonobo Loco 

Your kidding right?
confused_face.gif

We know @Oracle has the RS1e with flush mounted drivers and will be receiving the GH-1 soon. The only thing is, they should be listened to in "stock" form, then listened to with (G) cushions as well.

I'm amazed you don't already have a set of GH1's. Seriously get a pair and thank me tomorrow. You don't want to be head-fi's Grado expert who doesn't own a set of these cans. They will seriously rock your socks.

Jan 28, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #505 of 1,091
  @Bonobo Loco 

Your kidding right?
confused_face.gif

No I wasn't kidding but I was (and am) a bit tipsy when I wrote that. I think you are one of the people who convinced me to buy them in the first place and for that I am very grateful. I got a set a few weeks ago for my brother's birthday. You told me I wouldn't be able to let them go and you were right. Just got another set in the mail recently. It's really a shame that these will only be available for a limited time.

Jan 28, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #506 of 1,091
  No I wasn't kidding but I was (and am) a bit tipsy when I wrote that. I think you are one of the people who convinced me to buy them in the first place and for that I am very grateful. I got a set a few weeks ago for my brother's birthday. You told me I wouldn't be able to let them go and you were right. Just got another set in the mail recently. It's really a shame that these will only be available for a limited time.

I thought I was going nuts for a minute.
beerchug.gif

Jan 29, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #507 of 1,091

I own the GH1 and took it to a shop to audition against the RS1 and have heard both sets back to back for a couple hours and in a blind test I don't understand how anyone would take the RS1e over the GH1. The RS1 by comparison sounds thin and harsh and totally lacking bass which denies it the depth of sound the GH1 can produce. If you're deciding between those two sets of cans it's a no brainer: get a pair of GH-1's before they're gone, and like many reviewers have suggested, get a set of G-pads to make the most of their sound. They sound fine out of the stock pads but I took the advice of the forums and got a pair of G-cush pads and I do prefer the sound and feel of them over the stock L-cush pads.

Sounds like the RS1e you auditioned were not run-in. A bit thin and lacking in bass is how Grado e-series sound new. What's more, if they were the bad RS1e they would sound thick and congested in the bass with a massively rolled off treble. I am guessing they were a more recent model pair since Grado corrected the RS1e.

Either that or the GH-1 make even a fully run in pair of RS1e sound thin.

Jan 29, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #508 of 1,091

I would be curious to know what version you heard, you can tell by looking at some of it's physical attributes such as a tan leather headband and if you remove the L cushion and see a flush driver rather than a protruding one this could indicate a newer version. I posted my thoughts with some images describing the two I've owned in the RS1e matters thread, and for me there was a night and day difference in sound from the earlier model to the newer one.
Some say the GH1 sounds similar to the PS500 but with more detail and larger soundstage and if that's the case I can see why the GH1 is so popular. I love listening to my original PS500, but I haven't had a chance to do any direct comparisons between the two yet. I should have the GH1 tonight and I'll be sure to post my thoughts after some time with them.

Jan 29, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #510 of 1,091

I A-B'd them with the stock pads and preferred the GH1 by a country mile. Really not a close choice. If you just asked a random person "which is better?" 9 out of 10 would say the GH1. Then you take them home and switch out the pads for G-cush and they are pretty much the coolest thing since sliced bread. 

Some people think these headphones are some kind of gimmick or whatever but they're a set of cans that will be famous for years. I'm not promoting them because Grado is paying me to do it, I'm telling people to buy something that's a good purchase and something they'll enjoy and will be able to re-sell for at least as much as they paid for them (not that you'll ever want to get rid of them).

You guys sound like a buch of GH-1 fanboys. They're amazing, fine, we get it. And I'm fed up of reading how the G-cush are an absolute must, and how much we're missing if we're still using the stock pads. So please do rest of us a favor, and stop forcing your views on the rest of us!

The statement above is what I'd possibly say if,
1) - I didn't absolutely love the GH-1, especially with the G-cush, wich, in my humble opinion, takes them to the next level.
wink.gif

2) - If I'd refuse to admit the obvious, and aknowledge the many favorable impressions posted by the rapidly growing number of GH-1 owners that contribute to make the GH-1 probably one of the most popular      
      models ever produced by Grado.

I can't believe that after all this time, Grado hasn't finished chopping up that magic tree. I mean it would be interresting to know how many GH-1 were produced.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back