P1020530.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • P1020531.JPG
    P1020531.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #36,422 of 65,920
thanks! i will give it a try not sure about owning them though

i was very interested when i first saw the old little tube amp...man i really forget the name, the schematic was on headwize something about jd limited edition with green chasis. and then saw rsa raptor, zana deux stuff like that. my first thought with all that was that's really cool looking gears. then i looked at the price and did read few things, and read some precautions which i already forgot by now and since i'm lazy, i was like maybe this is not for me. but to this day tube amp still haunt me

i remember it!!!!!
earmaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
3832740.jpg

I have never seen this little amp before, but it does look very interesting.

Sep 28, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #36,423 of 65,920
Sep 28, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #36,424 of 65,920
I just posted a review of the Grado PS2000e headphones here.

Here is the summary of results (yeah, I know... my summary is longer than many folks' reviews... sorry!)

I compared the Grado PS2000e as part of three trios of headphones: the closely related PS1000e and PS1000, the premium HiFiMAN HE1000 and Sennheiser HD800, and my personal favorite Grados, the GS1000i and the RS2e. I compared in a micro way and a macro way: 1) the micro way -- for each trio of headphones (e.g., PS2000e, PS1000e, PS1000), I ranked each headphone in a "1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place" manner for each of 10 acoustic features (e.g., transparency, sound stage, etc.), and 2) the macro way -- for each trio of headphones, I used five passages of music that have long been exciting to me to hear on (any) headphones, and I determined which headphone rendered each piece the most exciting, and why.

Here is what I found:
  1. The Grado PS2000e was outscored on the 10 acoustic features in the (PS2000e/PS1000e/PS1000) comparison by the PS1000;
  2. The Grado PS2000e scored the highest in "excitement" across the five music selections, despite not winning on the above acoustic feature comparison;
  3. The Grado PS2000e scored slightly (and insignificantly) behind the HiFiMAN HE1000 and a bit more behind the Sennheiser HD800 on the 10 acoustic features (PS2000e/HE1000/HD800);
  4. The Grado PS2000e scored highest on two of the first four of the exciting music passages as the most exciting headphone of (PS2000e/HE1000/HD800);
  5. For another listener, the Grado PS2000e scored 3rd out of five on a fifth exciting music passage;
  6. The Grado PS2000e was outscored significantly on the 10-feature acoustic test by my two overall favorite Grado headphones, the GS1000i and the RS2e;
  7. The Grado PS2000e was significantly outscored on "listening excitement" by my two overall favorite headphones, the GS1000i and the RS2e.
  8. After gathering the above data, I was listening to the PS2000e with a Joseph Grado HPA-1 amp (not used in the testing), and the headphone was suddenly even more exciting than my GS1000i and RS2e!
In short, the Grado PS2000e has a most engaging soundstage -- not necessarily bigger, but perhaps more layered with depth as well as breadth. I would often ponder that soundstage after listening, even at 4:00 am, trying to understand its attractiveness. It also has a taut bass, free from blooming. These two factors often account for its win in comparisons to other headphones. Its trebles are just a bit muted as compared to other Grados and its taut bass is not quite as viscerally rattling as others, sometimes causing it to lose, particularly on the excitement factor.

There is something special about the PS2000e, and I struggle to put my finger on it. Like the smoked metal of its earcups, the PS2000e sound is enigmatic. After completing all measurements, I am wearing them listening as I write this, and there is a magic that persists and that escapes my comparisons. I put on the PS1000e and it is not there, though it returns, at least in part, for the GS1000i.

Sep 28, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #36,426 of 65,920
I just posted a review of the Grado PS2000e headphones here.

Here is the summary of results (yeah, I know... my summary is longer than many folks' reviews... sorry!)

I compared the Grado PS2000e as part of three trios of headphones: the closely related PS1000e and PS1000, the premium HiFiMAN HE1000 and Sennheiser HD800, and my personal favorite Grados, the GS1000i and the RS2e. I compared in a micro way and a macro way: 1) the micro way -- for each trio of headphones (e.g., PS2000e, PS1000e, PS1000), I ranked each headphone in a "1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place" manner for each of 10 acoustic features (e.g., transparency, sound stage, etc.), and 2) the macro way -- for each trio of headphones, I used five passages of music that have long been exciting to me to hear on (any) headphones, and I determined which headphone rendered each piece the most exciting, and why.

Here is what I found:
  1. The Grado PS2000e was outscored on the 10 acoustic features in the (PS2000e/PS1000e/PS1000) comparison by the PS1000;
  2. The Grado PS2000e scored the highest in "excitement" across the five music selections, despite not winning on the above acoustic feature comparison;
  3. The Grado PS2000e scored slightly (and insignificantly) behind the HiFiMAN HE1000 and a bit more behind the Sennheiser HD800 on the 10 acoustic features (PS2000e/HE1000/HD800);
  4. The Grado PS2000e scored highest on two of the first four of the exciting music passages as the most exciting headphone of (PS2000e/HE1000/HD800);
  5. For another listener, the Grado PS2000e scored 3rd out of five on a fifth exciting music passage;
  6. The Grado PS2000e was outscored significantly on the 10-feature acoustic test by my two overall favorite Grado headphones, the GS1000i and the RS2e;
  7. The Grado PS2000e was significantly outscored on "listening excitement" by my two overall favorite headphones, the GS1000i and the RS2e.
  8. After gathering the above data, I was listening to the PS2000e with a Joseph Grado HPA-1 amp (not used in the testing), and the headphone was suddenly even more exciting than my GS1000i and RS2e!
In short, the Grado PS2000e has a most engaging soundstage -- not necessarily bigger, but perhaps more layered with depth as well as breadth. I would often ponder that soundstage after listening, even at 4:00 am, trying to understand its attractiveness. It also has a taut bass, free from blooming. These two factors often account for its win in comparisons to other headphones. Its trebles are just a bit muted as compared to other Grados and its taut bass is not quite as viscerally rattling as others, sometimes causing it to lose, particularly on the excitement factor.

There is something special about the PS2000e, and I struggle to put my finger on it. Like the smoked metal of its earcups, the PS2000e sound is enigmatic. After completing all measurements, I am wearing them listening as I write this, and there is a magic that persists and that escapes my comparisons. I put on the PS1000e and it is not there, though it returns, at least in part, for the GS1000i.

Is there a possibility that the performance/scores might be influenced by the fact the other headphones (at least your favourite Grados) are, potentially, considerably more broken in?

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #36,427 of 65,920
Is there a possibility that the performance/scores might be influenced by the fact the other headphones (at least your favourite Grados) are, potentially, considerably more broken in?
That is a sage observation. However, I think I spent at least 20 hours listening to the PS2000e, and five folks had them on the tour before I did, so I would guess that they had at least 70 - 100 hours of use before I got them.

Sep 28, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #36,428 of 65,920
A little late here but I'd have to agree with @Jazmanaut about doing some mods to the SR225e. While I didn't open any vent holes I did add dynamat in the cups, felt disk on the back of the button and sorbothane on the back of the driver which changed the 225e quite a bit, better than the PS500e and in some ways better than a RS2e.

If you want a more laid back sound but still keeping it close to the Grado sound then look at a Nhoord Red V2 driver, fairly close in sound to the SR225e but with better bass and smoother highs to many that have heard them.
So, I'll be the first to admit I am not handy. Mainly I don't have the patience for it. And when that runs out I tend to throw and break things, so that leads to me announcing I bought RS2e's off of eBay this week. Got them for under $400, so that part worked out well. Just opened them up and am listening to them for the first time right now. And right away I'll be getting new pads, cause whoever had em before me smoked. Hopefully changing them will be enough to lose the smell. Might just try those cheap G pads I got for now on em. Anyway, loving the sound so far. Listening to Radiohead/The Bends and it sounds fantastic.

Edit, just remembered back to previous posts, washed the pads lightly with hand soap. Will let them dry over night and see how they smell tomorrow.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #36,429 of 65,920
So, I'll be the first to admit I am not handy. Mainly I don't have the patience for it. And when that runs out I tend to throw and break things, so that leads to me announcing I bought RS2e's off of eBay this week. Got them for under $400, so that part worked out well. Just opened them up and am listening to them for the first time right now. And right away I'll be getting new pads, cause whoever had em before me smoked. Hopefully changing them will be enough to lose the smell. Might just try those cheap G pads I got for now on em. Anyway, loving the sound so far. Listening to Radiohead/The Bends and it sounds fantastic.

Edit, just remembered back to previous posts, washed the pads lightly with hand soap. Will let them dry over night and see how they smell tomorrow.

I was bidding against you on that one. Good for you on the win

Sep 29, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #36,431 of 65,920
Good call! Try to put them on microwave oven, or other sealed place, with cup of winegar for a day or so.
Winegar sucks somehow smell away.
careful though, it could affected the foam texture.do you know how long the previous owner have the headphone?

Sep 29, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #36,432 of 65,920
careful though, it could affected the foam texture.do you know how long the previous owner have the headphone?
Not long, I believe. After my last post gave them the sniff test. Still smokey. So did it again with slightly stronger cleaner and this time the water I got out of them was dirty looking. And they smell better. I think one more go around will finish them.

Sep 29, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #36,433 of 65,920
I was bidding against you on that one. Good for you on the win
Don't think these were those ones. I made a offer on these, didn't really bid on them per se.

Sep 29, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #36,434 of 65,920
Good call! Try to put them on microwave oven, or other sealed place, with cup of winegar for a day or so.
Winegar sucks somehow smell away.

Maybe i must be more spesific!!! :D
Dont put anything IN the winegar. Fumes will do the trick. And do not turn that oven on!!!

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #36,435 of 65,920
Got a pair of Grados that had a very strong smoke odor, time is the great equalizer. Just give it time....it will go away. I think after about a month or so the smell was completely gone. It was extremely strong when I first got them and I thought it would never go away but it did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back