Grado Fan Club!
Jun 30, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #32,596 of 65,623

No problem mate! Don't worry about it. Did you get the AD2000 at an okay price or was it inflated? I wanted to be able to listen to the AD2000 one day just because the description of it that I've read seems like it would suit me. Oh, I didn't read your review before I made my post. I'm not going to get an opamp where my amp couldn't be closed because of it, lol.

I'm thinking of getting an rs2e myself, probably somewhere this Christmas. Then again, you already know about that lol.

I think the price I paid for the AD2k was quite good, $350. Its mid-range is really really colored so some people wouldn't like it, I'm sure.

Jul 1, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #32,600 of 65,623
I've been trying to get my GF to create an account and post but she says I spend enough time on these threads for the both of us.  One of the reasons she and I got together is our love of music and she already had a small collection of headphones (HD-650, K7XX, HD-700, QC-15) so we had lots to talk about.

Also been trying to get some of her girl friends and my friends into the hobby but its not easy, last year to entice a few friends I gave 6 Momentum on-ears, my HD-598, Philips SHP-9500, V-Moda x-fade, M50s, M30 and one SennGrado as birthday or x-mas gifts. 

All are enjoying those headphones but still have not gotten any to join Head-Fi :frowning2:

Oh wow, she sounds so cool. HD-650 was my main rig for a long time. It's really cool you have a partner that you can share your hobby with. All my girl friends think I'm insane spending money on Headphones, and couldn't be less interested. And I'm currently single. If your GF ever created an account, let me know. I know I'm new here, but it would be really cool to make friends. Especially if I can't meet other women that are audiophiles.

I really appreciate your post too. You guys are really welcoming and kind. Honestly, I haven't had anyone to talk to about stuff I care about. And I also felt kind of intimidated because I'm more of a casual audiophile (Im deeply passionate about it, and understand what type of sound sigs I like, but don't entirely know all the technical aspects). But thanks for making me welcome. Say hi to your GF for me :)

the GS1000's are amazing headphones...love my GS1000i....
the GS transports me to the original event......incredible detail,
soundstage, coherence, imaging, tone....everything. End game for me!

I think the GS1000i/e will be the phones for those who lust after
the GS2000e but want to pay a lot less (buy used!)

I'm really liking the GS1000e. A lot actually. I'm so torn, because the PS500e has great bass that is so warm has texture. But I love the clarity and soundstage of the GS1000e. And while the bass doesn't slam and vibrate, it's well defined and has a nice plucky sound to it.

Based on reading various forums, I sometimes feel a lot of people don't prefer the GS1000e. I could be wrong. Just feels that way. As I said earlier, a lot of Grado gives me ear fatigue. But the PS500e and the GS1000e are awesome. I'm not sure where I'll end up. I'm torn between the PS and GS. It's really hard.

I'm open to suggestions from anyone else. Should I consider the GS2000? What's the differences? Are there any other Grado with warm wound and as smooth as the PS500e and GS1000e? The SR series treble hurt my ears.

I'm probably being silly. I really love both of these headphones. So I'm sure I'd be happy ending up with one of them. Just curious if anyone thinks I should try something else before settling on either of these two ( I have no limit for my budget ).

Jul 1, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #32,601 of 65,623
Jul 1, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #32,602 of 65,623
I'm probably being silly. I really love both of these headphones. So I'm sure I'd be happy ending up with one of them. Just curious if anyone thinks I should try something else before settling on either of these two ( I have no limit for my budget ).

My GF only saw the underline part of your post and she had a laugh, said that you seem to have your life in order.  Good luck with your decision
biggrin.gif

PS: might want to try a Ypsilon or Magnum driver Grado build since you seem to have tried just about every thing else I can think of.

Jul 1, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #32,603 of 65,623
Guys, I'm coming from an SR80e with L cushions to my just arrived RS2e and HOLY ****, this thing is amazing. The sound stage, the warmth, the smoothness. I'm hearing so much more detail. Every instrument, from every directions. With all the talk of diminishing returns as you move up the headphone ladder I honestly didn't think I'd notice much of a difference but I am blown away. I love these headphones. 

Jul 1, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #32,604 of 65,623
  Guys, I'm coming from an SR80e with L cushions to my just arrived RS2e and HOLY ****, this thing is amazing. The sound stage, the warmth, the smoothness. I'm hearing so much more detail. Every instrument, from every directions. With all the talk of diminishing returns as you move up the headphone ladder I honestly didn't think I'd notice much of a difference but I am blown away. I love these headphones. 

Ditto Ditto DITTO!  The only ones I like better are the GS1000i (and I have 25 different models of Grados that I have compared... see link in my signature if interested).

Jul 1, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #32,605 of 65,623
Hello!
I'm looking to upgrade my current setup consisting of a pair of Grado sr325is (which I love to dead even though they are the shiny ones) + Aune T1. I've got it plugged to my computer and I listen mostly to Rock and Blues. I bought the Aune T1 some years after I bought the Grados and I was really impressed with the improvement. Right now I'd like to move to a better setup and get a dedicted tube headphone amp and use the DAC on the Aune T1 for the moment, since i've read that it is pretty good and more so if you do some tube rolling which I'm planning on doing soon.

I've got a $300 budget for the tube amp and I'm looking for a good tube amp that can accentuate that Grado sound that I love. I've read for a while now and notice that many of you guys recommend the LD 1+ with upgraded tubes but I don't know if that's the best I can get, even with a bigger budget, or maybe get a LD MKII or MKIII, idk.
I'm looking at the Darkvoice 336SE as well but I don't know how they will match my headphones.

I ask you guys because I live in Costa Rica and there is no way for me to go somewhere and try some amps or something so I have to go blind on what I buy. I know this kind of recommendation questions may be tiring for you guys. I apologize in advance for my English since it's not my native language.

On the other hand I'm also trying to get a good and cheap Phono Pre-Amp that I can plug to my turntable and future headphone amp so I can listen to my records. I've got an Audio Technica LP60. Can you recommend a preamp for this purpose?

Thanks a lot in advance! And sorry for the long post

P.S.: I want to have separate components (Amp+DAC) since I want to keep upgrading them until I get to a Grado RS1 + MAD Ear+ HD :D (that's what I dream of, this thing can be very addictive).

Jul 1, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #32,606 of 65,623
I actually would like a recommendation for a good tube amp with a high affinity for Grado's. Something that meets or exceeds the quality of the Little Dot but can also run higher impedance, hard to run headphones as well. Maybe the Schiit Lyre 2?

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #32,607 of 65,623
I actually would like a recommendation for a good tube amp with a high affinity for Grado's. Something that meets or exceeds the quality of the Little Dot but can also run higher impedance, hard to run headphones as well. Maybe the Schiit Lyre 2?

Lyr2 is probably your best bet

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #32,608 of 65,623
btw: i embolden just to have things stand out...not trying to shout.

hi friendly grado people...need some help please with suggestions
for what from the grado lineup would be a good compliment to what I have.

currently i have some sony 7520 monitors (love 'em for detail and balance, being studio monitors)
and senn hd650s...what grados would be a good compliment please?

I love detail, and punchy bass (tight, clean bass), great resolution, warmish, musical.
....some have suggested the massdrop fostex thx00 ...but what from the grado lineup please

also in the RS1...trying to understand diff between the i and e....a good can to consider, too?
(my buddy is also interested in this: he salivates over the grado wood cups, lol)

my music: rock, blues and jazz, instrumental

equipment:
laptop
dragonfly red
chord mojo on the way
iFi micro iDSD/mercury/ipurifier 2
mapletree ear + hd tube amp

thank you!

Sorry I for the late quote. I have owned the RS1i, HD650, mass drop thx00 and can give you my option.

First up don't buy the thx00. They are a major step down from the hd650. The bass is muddy and way over done.

Based on your tates I don't think you will like the rs1. They are pretty bright compared to the HD650 and are in general still bright.

I would recommend the Grado PS500e. They still sound open but the highs are much softer than other grados. They will be a little brighter than the Hd650(based on memory) and MUCH more lively than the HD650s. The PS500e also have a lot more base than the RS1.

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #32,609 of 65,623
Does anyone know if the ps500e sounds similar to the ps1000e? Are they different enough to try the ps500e if u already have the ps1000e?

They sound nothing a like to me. The PS500e has mids that are forward and the PS1000e's Mids are resessed. The PS1000e in well on the bright side of neutral and the PS500e is well on the dark side of neutral.

So yes I actually would buy the PS500e if you already own the PS1000e. It will be a different sound for sure. You will lose a good bit of sound stage though.

Jul 1, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #32,610 of 65,623
Hey guys, it's been a while!

For those who wondered why I took a break from Head Fi, it's because I've stopped taking pain meds. I had been on high doses of Oxycodone for over 4 years, so I experienced very bad withdrawl symptoms.
One of those symptoms is a low level of endorphins, dopamine, serotonin etc...

Once my brain started producing the above mentioned substences, I started listening to music again, and my Grados never sounded so good. I have posted a link to one of the songs that helped me through these rough times, and get back to my greatest passion, and to what is, in my opinion, THE, greatest group of people, on Head Fi.

Happy listening!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USK1VjV-nO8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back