Grado Fan Club!
Mar 28, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #23,956 of 65,914
  Just to be sure the repair shop didn't switch the drivers/cups from L/R vise-versa, if you have a component with a balance control, I would check that the L/R balance is correct…they may have too be switched if the repair shop didn't take care to remember this? If so, perform the same steps as you have done to correct the gimbal installation issue by switching the drivers/cups to the correct sides.
smile.gif

Good point, yep all is good.

Thanks!
M.

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #23,959 of 65,914
Mar 28, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #23,960 of 65,914
should be killer !

https://screen.yahoo.com/live/event/tedeschi-trucks-band

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #23,962 of 65,914
  Oh, OK that should be a quick sale, good luck.
Why do you really need a closed HP now, if you don't mind me asking…what are you interested in?

thank's joseph 

well, the "listening station is in the den, with the big tv, and it has a decent little speaker system hooked up to it (boston acoustics 2.1) and it gets loud 
and sometimes i want to hear some music at the same time the wife watches tv, so, i need some isolation
not sure what i'm interested in yet, i love the alpha dog, but not sure about spending that much, so i'm looking
and i'm thinking i'll get another grado of course, just a cheaper model, maybe an 80i or e, or a 225 if i can find a good deal

Mar 28, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #23,963 of 65,914
Mar 28, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #23,964 of 65,914
Mar 28, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #23,965 of 65,914
  thank's joseph 

well, the "listening station is in the den, with the big tv, and it has a decent little speaker system hooked up to it (boston acoustics 2.1) and it gets loud 
and sometimes i want to hear some music at the same time the wife watches tv, so, i need some isolation
not sure what i'm interested in yet, i love the alpha dog, but not sure about spending that much, so i'm looking
and i'm thinking i'll get another grado of course, just a cheaper model, maybe an 80i or e, or a 225 if i can find a good deal

You should be able to find an 80i/225i at a good price, I see them quite often on eBay.

In just a few weeks I may have a Mad Ear+HD for sale, that would pair up fantastic with these!
Stay tuned.

Sounds like something great and long awaited is coming your way!!!
beerchug.gif

Mar 28, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #23,966 of 65,914
Decided to enter into the world of planet Grado. Combined new Statement 100 e with Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear amp. Music coming from FiiO X5. Wonderful sound and so incredibly comfy. The width of the cups makes you almost forget you are wearing headphones. Love this set up.

You got me all hyped up, thinking there was a new affordable GS model... had to google it just to make sure.

Mar 28, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #23,968 of 65,914
for sale, i really do need a closed can

I was in the same boat when I moved my major listening spot to our room with the TV (so I could actually FLAUNT the ignoring of my family members, sequestered under my headphones in their sight, rather than in a separate room as before).

So with all my Grados, I still needed a closed pair of headphones for times when someone else was watching TV.

I considered the Beyerdynamic T 5 p and the Fostex TH-900. My research, since confirmed by actual listening, was that the Fostex had better sound but poorer noise isolation, while the Beyers had better isolation but poorer (though still great) sound. Listening tests added the observation that the Beyers were more neutral yet more Grado-like, with greater transparency, than the more colored, bassier Fostex.

I bought the Beyerdynamic T 5 p. I figured that if I were ascending into the stratosphere of critical listening, it would not be in a noisy room with closed headphones, but rather in a quiet room with Grados or Sennheisers. So the small sound improvement of the Fostex would be washed out by its greater noise leakage, and the greater sound insulation of the Beter would give overall better listening in the situation of a noisy room

I love the T 5 p. However, more recently, Astell&Kern came up with a variant of the T 5 p tuned to their own digital music player. I've heard it and compared it to my T 5 p. It does sound better when driven by the AK240 player and using the equalization preset they have for the AKT5p. Not sure how it would compare if I were not using the A&K source and preset.

Mar 28, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #23,969 of 65,914
I was in the same boat when I moved my major listening spot to our room with the TV (so I could actually FLAUNT the ignoring of my family members, sequestered under my headphones in their sight, rather than in a separate room as before).

So with all my Grados, I still needed a closed pair of headphones for times when someone else was watching TV.

I considered the Beyerdynamic T 5 p and the Fostex TH-900. My research, since confirmed by actual listening, was that the Fostex had better sound but poorer noise isolation, while the Beyers had better isolation but poorer (though still great) sound. Listening tests added the observation that the Beyers were more neutral yet more Grado-like, with greater transparency, than the more colored, brassier Fostex.

I bought the Beyerdynamic T 5 p. I figured that if I were ascending into the stratosphere of critical listening, it would not be in a noisy room with closed headphones, but rather in a quiet room with Grados or Sennheisers. So the small sound improvement of the Fostex would be washed out by its greater noise leakage, and the greater sound insulation of the Beter would give overall better listening in the situation of a noisy room

I love the T 5 p. However, more recently, Astell&Kern came up with a variant of the T 5 p tuned to their own digital music player. I've heard it and compared it to my T 5 p. It does sound better when driven by the AK240 player and using the equalization preset they have for the AKT5p. Not sure how it would compare if I were not using the A&K source and preset.

i don't think i want to spend that much, the top of my budget would be the alpha dog, but i'd kinda like to get something cheaper
have a little left over for some more tubes for the LD , i'm staying more low budget these day, (the boss lady likes that!)

Mar 28, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #23,970 of 65,914
i don't think i want to spend that much, the top of my budget would be the alpha dog, but i'd kinda like to get something cheaper
have a little left over for some more tubes for the LD , i'm staying more low budget these day, (the boss lady likes that!)

I got my Beyer T 5 p new for $899 on buysonic, and I would have gotten the Fostex TH-900 for $1010 on headphones.com, using their "20% off if you sign up for our newsletter" coupon. Not sure what the Alpha Dogs, listed at $999, discount to, but these were both heavily discounted, new, from their list price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back