Grado Fan Club!
Jan 9, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #21,811 of 66,260
+1 ... great album, but my favorite MTV Unplugged is from Korn. Another awesome album with Grados. I'm not really even a Korn fan, but they really hit it with their version of MTV unplugged.

One of the first things I listened too, Nirvana's MTV Live, along with Jimi Hendrix's Electric Lady Land, work kept getting in the way:hear_no_evil:!

Jan 9, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #21,812 of 66,260
  I can't wait to hear your impressions of it.

I just ordered a Draug 2 for my HD800

Hey @whirlwind, I didn't want to like them, scratchy ear pads (are these things made out of wool!!!!), thick cable, kinda ugly, but the clarity, they rock, I mean really rock. Will listen to much more to see if it's not just wow factor, but so far I like them. The soundstage is tight, but they image very well, my HE560's, I am in the audience, the PS500e, I am on the stage, but Jimi doesn't seem to mind
atsmile.gif

Jan 9, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #21,813 of 66,260
I believe Grado Labs uses Eric Clapton Unplugged for testing headphones.

Two other albums you might enjoy:

Stanley Clarke - School Days
Nils Petter Molvaer - Khmer

From what I have read, it's only two songs from E.C's Unplugged that Grado uses, Before you Accuse Me , and, I forget what the other one is.

From some pictrues that I have seen, they also use vintage Marantz gear, to test their headphones. I can't say I blame them, my Marantz 2220B is one sweet sounding reciever.

At first blush, my comment is that the Sennheiser HD 800 has a larger soundstage and, when properly amplified e.g. with Sennheiser's own HDVD 800 or HDVA 600, has more bass.  Grados have more of a transparent, you-are-there, nothing-between-you-and-the-music feel and excels at high-frequency impulses such as cymbals.

I plan to eventually do a systematic listening test among the PS1000, the HD 800, the HP1000, and maybe the T 5 p (my test mechanism is really set up for three-way, not four-way comparison so I may not include the T 5 p, besides mine is not burned in yet).

The comments above are sort of consistent with a comparison of the frequency response of the HD 800 (red) and the PS 1000 (blue):

The PS1000 bass drops below that of the HD800 at around the lowest G on the piano keyboard, while it provides an extra boost to the high frequencies, culminating in a significant edge over the HD 800 in the range from 6,000 Hz to 10,000 Hz, which is above the piano keyboard but is where higher harmonics and (more importantly) the impact of snare drums and cymbals is strong.

And here I thought I had too many headphones, but looking at your sig, I realise that I don't have enough!.

Now that I know that you have 40+ pairs of headphones, I have a mental pictrue of you, stepping over headphones to get to the pair you want to listen to

What can I say, I'm a Grado fan. If we ever meet, remind me to show you my Grado tatoo...and no, I won't have to turn around and drop my pants for you to see it...that would be my Sennheiser tatoo
tongue.gif

Seriously though, I made a promise to myself, that if I end up buying a pair of PS1000e, I'll sell my PS1000, and my beloved GS1000, but then...I also said that I'd give my SR80i to my god daughter, when I bought my SR80e, and they're still here so...

A few nights ago, I was playing with my latest toy, my BSG, C-Moy amp. I was comparing it with my LD-1+, wich has some new great sounding Voshkod tubes, and my Grado HPA-2, using it's battery circuit, and ended up comparing some of my headphones in the process.

My greatest surprise came when I swapped the TTVJ flats, for the L-cush, on my HP1000, and used the C-Moy, to drive them. The amp's good bass extension, compensated somewhat for the loss of bass due to using the L-cush, so with the added treble extension, and a bigger soundstage, his is the closest that the HP1000 has ever came to sounding like the PS1000.

Jan 9, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #21,814 of 66,260

+1 ... great album, but my favorite MTV Unplugged is from Korn. Another awesome album with Grados. I'm not really even a Korn fan, but they really hit it with their version of MTV unplugged.

One of the first things I listened too, Nirvana's MTV Live, along with Jimi Hendrix's Electric Lady Land, work kept getting in the way:hear_no_evil:!

Wash those ear pads in some mild dish soap and let them dry overnight....it helps take the scratchy sensation away.

Gotta love Hendrix Electric Lady Land 
smile.gif

Jan 9, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #21,815 of 66,260
Thanks @whirlwind, will wash them tonight, plus just ordered some EarZonk G Cush Pads to try out. So far the SQ is tremendous. Even does classical well, so far impressive! 

Jan 9, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #21,816 of 66,260

From what I have read, it's only two songs from E.C's Unplugged that Grado uses, Before you Accuse Me , and, I forget what the other one is.

From some pictrues that I have seen, they also use vintage Marantz gear, to test their headphones. I can't say I blame them, my Marantz 2220B is one sweet sounding reciever.

And here I thought I had too many headphones, but looking at your sig, I realise that I don't have enough!.

Now that I know that you have 40+ pairs of headphones, I have a mental pictrue of you, stepping over headphones to get to the pair you want to listen to

What can I say, I'm a Grado fan. If we ever meet, remind me to show you my Grado tatoo...and no, I won't have to turn around and drop my pants for you to see it...that would be my Sennheiser tatoo
tongue.gif

Seriously though, I made a promise to myself, that if I end up buying a pair of PS1000e, I'll sell my PS1000, and my beloved GS1000, but then...I also said that I'd give my SR80i to my god daughter, when I bought my SR80e, and they're still here so...

A few nights ago, I was playing with my latest toy, my BSG, C-Moy amp. I was comparing it with my LD-1+, wich has some new great sounding Voshkod tubes, and my Grado HPA-2, using it's battery circuit, and ended up comparing some of my headphones in the process.

My greatest surprise came when I swapped the TTVJ flats, for the L-cush, on my HP1000, and used the C-Moy, to drive them. The amp's good bass extension, compensated somewhat for the loss of bass due to using the L-cush, so with the added treble extension, and a bigger soundstage, his is the closest that the HP1000 has ever came to sounding like the PS1000.

I was told by my wife that I could NOT get a Grado tattoo, so that is why I got the Grado shirt.  Then while contending with the longer-than-needed-for-portable use heavy Grado cable and the why-is-this-so-big-when-others-put-it-in-an-Altoids-box Grado RA-1 amplifier, I thought that the Grado apron with its pockets would be just the thing.  Hence, no Grado tattoo, though I too am a Grado fan.

And like an alcoholic with his bottles, I have strategically distributed my 40+ headphones around the house, in small groups of a few each, and no group within eyesight of another.  This makes it look like I am normal.

I bet your C-Moy amp trick would work well on the JDS C-Moy as well, which has a bass boost switch. My "problem" is that I enjoy both the HP1000 sound and the PS1000 sound and have no desire to try to change one to the other. 

Oh, and I actually sold the headphone I listed today.  So it is now 40+ - 1 headphones.  I will list one or two more when I get a chance to photograph them over the next few days, likely my HiFiMAN HE-500 (I LOVE that headphone as the only over ear that produces both palpable bass and sparkling highs) and my Shure SE535s (perfect square wave response and an IEM that I aspired for years to own... only can consider departing with it because of my even better AKG 3003s.)

Jan 9, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #21,817 of 66,260
I was never a die hard Nirvana fan, they were good but overrated in my opinion, especially Dave Grohl, but we won't go into that again. I have to admit though, unplugged in new york was the album that made me want to learn how to play guitar and eventually lead to my true calling, bass.

as far as those 90s grunge/alternative albums go I think Superunkown, The Bends, Weezer Blue Album, Ok Computer, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, Vitology and, although not grunge, Dookie were all better than anything Nirvana ever did. there are probably a bunch more that I can't think of right now.

Jan 9, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #21,818 of 66,260
as far as those 90s grunge/alternative albums go I think Superunkown, The Bends, Weezer Blue Album, Ok Computer, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, Vitology and, although not grunge, Dookie were all better than anything Nirvana ever did. there are probably a bunch more that I can't think of right now.

I totally agree with this !

Jan 9, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #21,819 of 66,260
I was never a die hard Nirvana fan, they were good but overrated in my opinion, especially Dave Grohl, but we won't go into that again. I have to admit though, unplugged in new york was the album that made me want to learn how to play guitar and eventually lead to my true calling, bass.

+++++1 to Ok computer. I use that album to test trebles and soundstage!

Btw I'm a big fan of Oasis. They were also huge (thus overrated to some) but Don't Look back in Anger was THE song for me in my darkest days. They were 70% Beatles, but that's good for me.

Jan 9, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #21,820 of 66,260

I was told by my wife that I could NOT get a Grado tattoo, so that is why I got the Grado shirt.  Then while contending with the longer-than-needed-for-portable use heavy Grado cable and the why-is-this-so-big-when-others-put-it-in-an-Altoids-box Grado RA-1 amplifier, I thought that the Grado apron with its pockets would be just the thing.  Hence, no Grado tattoo, though I too am a Grado fan.

And like an alcoholic with his bottles, I have strategically distributed my 40+ headphones around the house, in small groups of a few each, and no group within eyesight of another.  This makes it look like I am normal.

I bet your C-Moy amp trick would work well on the JDS C-Moy as well, which has a bass boost switch. My "problem" is that I enjoy both the HP1000 sound and the PS1000 sound and have no desire to try to change one to the other. 

Oh, and I actually sold the headphone I listed today.  So it is now 40+ - 1 headphones.  I will list one or two more when I get a chance to photograph them over the next few days, likely my HiFiMAN H-500 (I LOVE that headphone as the only over ear that produces both palpable bass and sparkling highs) and my Shure SE535s (perfect square wave response and an IEM that I aspired for years to own... only can consider departing with it because of my even better AKG 3003s.)

Oh! you just had to flash those gorgeous vintage RS1s in my face, didn't you. My first encounter with Grados was with vintage buttoned RS1s. Call it nostalgia, but I want them. So, if you come across an unmodyfed pair, in good condition, preferably one with the wooden box, please let me know. 

And just to be clear, I'm not trying to turn my HP1000 into PS1000. It just that they sound more lively with the L-cush, add a little bass, and they're sound signature is closer to that of the PS1000, or any of my other Grados, for that matter.

Even if they have a bigger soundstage with the L-cush, the HP1000 still have a smoother, and more intimate midrange, than the PS1000, wich makes them ideal for smaller venues recordings, the likes of, Patricia Barber, Diana Krall, Holy Cole, etc...

It's been a long time since I've heard the HE-500, it was at the Montréal Hi-Fi show, but I do remember liking them, and of course, the HE-6 too, even the HE-400 sounded great.

Jan 9, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #21,821 of 66,260
   Whereas AiC's "Dirt" is a masterpiece.

+1000
Also for Sap/Jar of Flies. And of course I like all of their other Cd's, but everything about  these 3 are just incredible for me. 

Quote:
  Since I bought it with Paypal, and had a balance in my PP account, well....

A new pair of SR-60e's are on the way!  If I try hard, I can convince myself that they were free.

biggrin.gif

Congratulations on the new 60e.
I also try to think like you as far as convincing myself some thing were free...or at least less. 
biggrin.gif

Korn is an excellent band!
I really like their sort of mixed sound, if you know what I'm trying to say.

Jan 10, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #21,822 of 66,260

Someone came into my house, noticed the Stax set up near my work station, my Grado hanging from my workstation and two headphones hanging near my stereo on the other side of the room and said, "Wow, you really like headphones, don't you?"

I didn't tell them about you.

Jan 10, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #21,823 of 66,260
Dean Ween is one of the most underrated guitar players ever and one day I hope he is recognized for the genius that he is....This whole band is genius actually, one of my biggest regrets is that I was never able to catch them live. check out the solo around the 8 minute mark, it's as if Zappa, Hazel and Waits had a baby.  Beautiful but the brown remains strong!

extra brown sauce on this one.

Jan 10, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #21,824 of 66,260
Today I received the last two of three secondhand Grados I bought:
Yesterday I received an SR125i
Today I got an old SR60i that I'll probably woody,
and I got an Alessandro MS-1 in the original box.

Jan 10, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #21,825 of 66,260
What a great way to start a Saturday morning  
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back