Grado Fan Club!
Jan 9, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #21,796 of 65,942
OK, the PS500e's are here, first impressions, the box is pretty "retro", hopefully the sound is not in direct correlation. I had heard complaints about the thick wire, it is very thick, it makes the Draug 2 on my HE560 look skinny.....they are very cold, physically cold, it is very cold outside. So I am going to let them warm up a bit and give them a listen. More to come.......

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #21,797 of 65,942
Had to chime in. so, on the Cobain thing, for those of us olds (I think I'm a year or two older than Cobain would have been had he lived), who knows why he struck such a chord? He has an iconic almost James Dean like status now. I think you have to say they were a really influential band. He definitely could right a hook filled song. 

Being in my last year or so in college when they hit big, I was basically a metal head kid.  I remember hearing Smells Like Teen Spirit and thinking that music with a punk influence could actually be pretty good. It rocked in the same way dinosaur Junior rocked. Those two band brought guitar heroics to folksy R.E.M ish alternative music.  Before that I found punk rock kind of irritating. And, of course, they weren't really punk. But, they had a little of that vibe.

The band I really loved from that era was Soundgarden and to a lesser extent Alice N Chains.

Nirvana, Soundgarden and Jane's Addiction did a lot to fuse alternative rock with metal or hard rock for me and changed the way I thought about music. I think they paved the way for what we would eventually call alternative metal. For that I'm grateful. It's a shame though to think what Cobain might have done in the intervening years.

I think despising him misses the point. My belief is no one really wants to be an addict. There is choice involved. But, he clearly had a lot of demons.

I see Cobain as a tragic character, a troubled soul. In sort of a Buddhist tradition, I simply wish him free from suffering.

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #21,798 of 65,942
  OK, the PS500e's are here, first impressions, the box is pretty "retro", hopefully the sound is not in direct correlation. I had heard complaints about the thick wire, it is very thick, it makes the Draug 2 on my HE560 look skinny.....they are very cold, physically cold, it is very cold outside. So I am going to let them warm up a bit and give them a listen. More to come.......

Congratulation!
Keep us posted.

The band I really loved from that era was Soundgarden and to a lesser extent Alice N Chains.

+1 on both AIC/SG…in that order for me. 
smile.gif

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #21,799 of 65,942
Had to chime in. so, on the Cobain thing, for those of us olds (I think I'm a year or two older than Cobain would have been had he lived), who knows why he struck such a chord? He has an iconic almost James Dean like status now. I think you have to say they were a really influential band. He definitely could right a hook filled song. 

Being in my last year or so in college when they hit big, I was basically a metal head kid.  I remember hearing Smells Like Teen Spirit and thinking that music with a punk influence could actually be pretty good. It rocked in the same way dinosaur Junior rocked. Those two band brought guitar heroics to folksy R.E.M ish alternative music.  Before that I found punk rock kind of irritating. And, of course, they weren't really punk. But, they had a little of that vibe.

Nirvana, Soundgarden and Jane's Addiction did a lot to fuse alternative rock with metal or hard rock for me and changed the way I thought about music. I think they paved the way for what we would eventually call alternative metal. For that I'm grateful. It's a shame though to think what Cobain might have done in the intervening years.

I think despising him misses the point. My belief is no one really wants to be an addict. There is choice involved. But, he clearly had a lot of demons.

I see Cobain as a tragic character, a troubled soul. In sort of a Buddhist tradition, I simply wish him free from suffering.

My "Smells Like Teen Spirit" moment was right after dropping my oldest Daughter at school. My first thought was My God, finally something new!!! I pulled off to the side of the road so I could really listen. At lunch I went and bought the album. I hated hair bands and the limp rock of the time, it finally brought me out of listening to classic rock. Plus Kirk C. Was a damn good Lyracist, rolled on into Soundgarten, Et al., it was a rock ephaney.

On the Grados, uncomfortable, scratchy, didn't want to like them but, damn!!! The clarity is awsome, haven't heard anything like this since my big SoundLabs and the Krell. Early impressions are very positive.,,,

Jan 9, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #21,800 of 65,942
90s rock.. what a good time for thick guitar riffs, distortion and loud drums. In a way, this was the last hoorah for analog sound which, to me, brings the best sound out of drums. For me, Nirvana changed how I looked at music. While they were not my favorite band of that era, their contribution to what the music that came later is undeniable. The bands that really hooked me were The Smashing Pumpkins (Cherub Rock is one of my favorite songs to test headphones with), Soundgarden and Nine Inch Nails. There was also Dinosaur Jr, Pearl Jam (the early days), and Porcupine Tree as well. Porcupine Tree is a bit of a funny band. They started as more of a psychadelic sound and then became more and more progressive as time went on. If you want an album to give your Grados mids some stress, check out "In Absentia" by Porcupine Tree. 

Today I find myself listening to more and more of Nirvana. The simple hooks (remind me of lullabies) and unique vocals of Kurt is something I never truly appreciated back then. 

Currently listening to Eric Clapton Unplugged. Holy crap the sound! I do not see a reason to  upgrade my headphones anymore.... but we all know that is not true :)

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #21,802 of 65,942
Or you might like this:

Pay special attention to Tal Wilkenfeld's bass guitar solo and Jeff Beck's reaction.

Jan 9, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #21,803 of 65,942
Tapping from another vein:

Fields of the Nephilim - Live - Forever Remain...

And one of my favourite tracks, from the album Elyzium, Submission:

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #21,804 of 65,942

I can't wait to hear your impressions of it.

I just ordered a Draug 2 for my HD800

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #21,805 of 65,942
Let's play some King Crimson...

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #21,806 of 65,942

I just wonder about people 'hating' a band or music. Feels a bit too me like complaining there's nothing on TV, when there's so much to experience in a lifetime.

Why do you feel such loathing for Nirvana? I'm genuinely curious, not trolling. Is it because they became the masthead for grunge while you think other bands are more deserving of that position? Or does their music set your teeth on edge?

Well, you do have a point.  When I first heard "Smells...", like a lot of other people I felt it ushered in the end of the hair-band era, and I was grateful.  I bought the CD, and was completely under-whelmed with the whiney, self-indulgent lyrics.  Then I heard Soundgardens "Loud Love", and thought oh my, there really is a sea change coming.  Along with them, there as AiC, and bands like Helmet and Ministry that to me defined the era.  Nirvana to me has always been for struggling teens.  Nothing wrong with that, but boy, have a rock-star die young and instant fame and relevance. Whereas AiC's "Dirt" is a masterpiece.

For the record, I myself am a recovering addict, and I got clean around the same time, in 92.  For me Nirvana no more defines that era than the Partridge Family define the 70's.  Cute and catchy stuff, but tha's it.

Hate might be too strong, but it's the closest, and it's easier to spell than "antipathy"

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #21,807 of 65,942
Oh yeah.

I sent the Schiit Fulla back.  Not my cup of tea at all.  The FiiO E10 does just as fine a job, and without cutting or scratching myself on the case.

Since I bought it with Paypal, and had a balance in my PP account, well....

A new pair of SR-60e's are on the way!  If I try hard, I can convince myself that they were free.

biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #21,808 of 65,942

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #21,809 of 65,942
  Oh yeah.

I sent the Schiit Fulla back.  Not my cup of tea at all.  The FiiO E10 does just as fine a job, and without cutting or scratching myself on the case.

Since I bought it with Paypal, and had a balance in my PP account, well....

A new pair of SR-60e's are on the way!  If I try hard, I can convince myself that they were free.

biggrin.gif

I'm listening with a ZennJazzGrado (Sennheiser PX 100 II drivers in Khaya wooden cups) to AAC files through an E10K.

If you want to upgrade your Sennheisers, they sound absolutely crystal in wooden cups.

Jan 9, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #21,810 of 65,942
  Say what you want about Nirvana, but their MTV Unplugged in New York album is pure magic with Grados. Unlike most bands who recorded MTV Unplugged, Nirvana did it in one take and you can hear some amazing detail (and mess-ups :) ). The vocal reproduction is superb. I am not a big fan of Nirvana, but this album I can listen to over and over with my grados. 

+1 ... great album, but my favorite MTV Unplugged is from Korn. Another awesome album with Grados. I'm not really even a Korn fan, but they really hit it with their version of MTV unplugged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back