Grado Fan Club!
Aug 12, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #17,776 of 65,629
  I realise that I'm a bit late to answer your question CanadianMaestro, but I read the responses that you got so far, and I share LC,s opinion 100%. 

I see Grados as follows, the whole SR and RS series, all of wich are better suited for small scale recordings, the GS1000i, and PS1000, wich are my go to headphones for everything that's large scale, and the PS500, wich, with their strong bass bias, and slight treble roll off, have, what I consider to be, the most unGrado like sound.

I have owned the PS500 for about 2 weeks before switching to the PS1000. I understand that coming from me, this might surprise some of you, but I've held my peace long enough, Professionnal Series, the PS500?, more like Piece of Sh&t!!!, John Grado must've been on something good when he came up with these. I'm sorry if I'm stepping on some toes here,
but I simply can't take all the praising that SOME people have been giving them. In mi opinion the PS500 have more in common with Beats by DrDre's sound signature, I can't even say signature, it's more like a mark, a bit like a dog who pees on your leg to say that you're his, or in this case, that you've been had, I should say. I already feel better now that I don't have to keep up this Mr nice guy charade anymore regarding the PS500.

On a more positive note, I'd like to say to all the PS500 owners, including Focker, whom all the time I was writing the above comments, could hear sharpening his pencil, probably less to write a responce, and more to stab me with it, to disregard the above comments about his beloved (and rightly so) PS500. The force is strong with this one, the PS500 have a strong following. They are indeed a different flavor of Grado, but isn't variety, the spice of life?.

So, I guess you don't like the PS500?
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 12, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #17,778 of 65,629
  I realise that I'm a bit late to answer your question CanadianMaestro, but I read the responses that you got so far, and I share LC,s opinion 100%. 

I see Grados as follows, the whole SR and RS series, all of wich are better suited for small scale recordings, the GS1000i, and PS1000, wich are my go to headphones for everything that's large scale, and the PS500, wich, with their strong bass bias, and slight treble roll off, have, what I consider to be, the most unGrado like sound.

I have owned the PS500 for about 2 weeks before switching to the PS1000. I understand that coming from me, this might surprise some of you, but I've held my peace long enough, Professionnal Series, the PS500?, more like Piece of Sh&t!!!, John Grado must've been on something good when he came up with these. I'm sorry if I'm stepping on some toes here,
but I simply can't take all the praising that SOME people have been giving them. In mi opinion the PS500 have more in common with Beats by DrDre's sound signature, I can't even say signature, it's more like a mark, a bit like a dog who pees on your leg to say that you're his, or in this case, that you've been had, I should say. I already feel better now that I don't have to keep up this Mr nice guy charade anymore regarding the PS500.

On a more positive note, I'd like to say to all the PS500 owners, including Focker, whom all the time I was writing the above comments, could hear sharpening his pencil, probably less to write a responce, and more to stab me with it, to disregard the above comments about his beloved (and rightly so) PS500. The force is strong with this one, the PS500 have a strong following. They are indeed a different flavor of Grado, but isn't variety, the spice of life?.

ha ha, wow. so the truth comes out :)

I definitely don't dislike the PS500 the way stacker does but I do believe the difference between the PS500 an PS1000 is actually very large. PS500 and RS1 are similar in technical merits (soundstage, detail retrieval, clarity and naturalness of vocals) but both are several steps behind the PS1000 in these areas.

Aside from that there's the more subjective issues of frequency balance (PS500 is quite dark and "chesty" with female vocals. PS1000 can sound tizzy unless reined in with the right amp) that could override technical merits if one really prefers one presentation over another.

But no Grado I've heard has the ability to disappear and make me think that I'm in a room with someone singing or playing something live the way the PS1000 can. In addition to the PS1k, I've had a similar type of clarity and lack of grain and veil from the HD800, LCD3, HE-500, Stax 007... and that's it.

Although I'm hearing good things about the GS1000e being more natural so that one might be added to the list. I gotta try one of those out one day

Aug 12, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #17,779 of 65,629
Okay, so I'm going to ask for some help here. My problem is, my SR225i's cord and plug are too heavy for my PC's 1/8th jack.

The sound always cuts out and it sucks not being able to use my beloveds with my new PC. Help?

Aug 12, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #17,780 of 65,629
Okay, so I'm going to ask for some help here. My problem is, my SR225i's cord and plug are too heavy for my PC's 1/8th jack.

The sound always cuts out and it sucks not being able to use my beloveds with my new PC. Help?

I think the problem is in the 1/8th to 1/4th adaptor. You could try one from Grado.

Aug 12, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #17,784 of 65,629
Hi,
Does any of you know if there is any difference in SQ between the older (say a couple of years ago) 225i and the newer one with the reddish/pinkish or whatever orangy coloured back of driver?
I'm asking because here in Europe the 225i currently sold has this kind of colour.

I noticed by reading this thread a few days ago someone posting a photo of the 225e (not yet available here) which has both the back of the driver and the "inside" ring under the pads an orangish colour....

Thanks to all!

Aug 12, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #17,785 of 65,629
  Hi,
Does any of you know if there is any difference in SQ between the older (say a couple of years ago) 225i and the newer one with the reddish/pinkish or whatever orangy coloured back of driver?
I'm asking because here in Europe the 225i currently sold has this kind of colour.

I noticed by reading this thread a few days ago someone posting a photo of the 225e (not yet available here) which has both the back of the driver and the "inside" ring under the pads an orangish colour....

Thanks to all!

Hi

If the drivers are red/orange, then they are the "e" series. SQ differs depending on who is listening and on the associated gear.
YMMV.

Cheers

Aug 12, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #17,786 of 65,629
Does any of you know if there is any difference in SQ between the older (say a couple of years ago) 225i and the newer one with the reddish/pinkish or whatever orangy coloured back of driver? I'm asking because here in Europe the 225i currently sold has this kind of colour.

Those are RedEyes (red e drivers in i cups), so they sound just like e's. Someone wrote a review comparing them. Best luck!

Aug 12, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #17,787 of 65,629
Claritas:

hmmm....are the cups in the "full" e-series different than i-series cups? I didn't think they were bigger/smaller.

nice comparison on the 225e/225i btw. you just saved me some time. will keep my old 225i ! I hate having to turn down the volume on any HP.

Aug 12, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #17,788 of 65,629
Claritas:

hmmm....are the cups in the "full" e-series different than i-series cups? I didn't think they were bigger/smaller.

nice comparison on the 225e/225i btw. you just saved me some time. will keep my old 225i ! I hate having to turn down the volume on any HP.

Glad you liked it. No, only the badge is different.

Aug 12, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #17,789 of 65,629

Sigh...it's so hot here, 31C and rising outside...more hot air this week....

I will pit my 2-yr old balanced PS500 with balanced BHA-1 amp and bal BDA-1 DAC output against any PS1000 (or better, against Stacker's 2-wk old PS500) anytime.

And....I agree, no Grado has the ability to "disappear", especially one as big and heavy on the head as the PS1000. Comfort counts for a LOT.

In the meantime, keep searching for "the truth", but be careful which end of the propaganda pipeline you shove your finger into.... (all in good fun, folks).

I just meant Stacker’s confession being his “truth”. i didn’t mean to imply that I also think the ps500 is awful - I don’t  :) 

And I think you know that by “disappear” I meant the sound, not the physical thing on top my head. 

anyway, I find the PS1000 very comfortable with one modification  - replace the headband with a better padded turbulent labs pad or add an extra cushion below the headband. then the force on the top of the head goes away. The sides were never a problem since the pads are so comfy and it’s trivial to bend the steel band like any other grado to reduce clamping force. 

With the strain on the top of the head now gone (and that would only show up if listening for over 2 hours) I find the PS1000 much more comfortable than any L cush Grado. The GS1000 are lighter so they don’t need the extra headband cushioning but the PS1000, with this cushion, now equals the GS1000 for comfort, imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back