Grado Fan Club!
Aug 12, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #17,761 of 65,633
My current guilty pleasure is lying in bed at 1:30 am when I should be asleep, listening to the YouTube clips that folks here have posted as being especially flattering to Grados, with the Grado RS1i that folks here helped me choose!

I never got that excited about my Grado PS500s! I think they did more types of music well, but not the rock guitar and organ as excellently as the RS1is.

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #17,762 of 65,633
My current guilty pleasure is lying in bed at 1:30 am when I should be asleep, listening to the YouTube clips that folks here have posted as being especially flattering to Grados, with the Grado RS1i that folks here helped me choose!

I never got that excited about my Grado PS500s! I think they did more types of music well, but not the rock guitar and organ as excellently as the RS1is.

Congrats on the Rs1i! So glad to hear you're digging them!
size]

Aug 12, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #17,763 of 65,633

Too lazy to do the fancy art work thing, but, on deck tonight, Loreenna McKennitt, Elemental CD 37 minutes of pure musical bliss. The PS1000. the LD 1+, and my trusty Yamaha DVD-S2700 will play quarter back for this one. Well!  off I go.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Just bought Elemental CD from Amazon.ca ! Thx for the rec. Great sounding acoustic music and divine vocals!
I could have saved $5 from iTunes, but I always prefer the CD, as I can then rip it as FLAC to my BDP-1 player (and Apple Lossless to my iPod Classic). SQ is WAY better
than mp4's from the web.

+1.....I always buy the cds and rip to flac, also.   It is a win, win.

Congrats on getting the RS1i......The RS1i & electric guitar is oh, so tasty!  
smile.gif

Aug 12, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #17,765 of 65,633
Question on Ear-0ads for Grado GS1000

After bit of experimentation, I convinced my self that the big BOWLS are the best ear-pads for the PS1000.

Could anyone share his/her experience and preference on the most appropriate ear-pads for the GS1000?

There are four possible ear-pads to try: the big bowls, the small bowls, the socks and the original thin ear-pads for the HP2 (available from TTVJ).

Thanks!

Aug 12, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #17,768 of 65,633

RS1i is a keeper for me! Very lucky to have them along with the 500. Near-perfect to cover all the bases, I think.
Enjoy them, will only get better over time.

Aug 12, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #17,769 of 65,633
I felt priviileged to have two RS-1is to compare and choose from. One, the unit that was on display and available for folks to try out, had a brighter tone, was more transparent, and even felt lighter to wear. Its wood was lighter, too. The second one, with a serial number that was 680 units higher, was straight out of the box, had darker wood and darker tone.

The dfferences in sound were greater than I would expect the differences between an RS-1 and RS1i, or RS-1i and RS-1e, would be. I don't know how much of that was due to burn-in of the demo unit being used, and how much was manufacturing variation, and both were great... it was just a matter of personal taste. (Wonder if burn-in tends to make headphones darker or brighter??)

Comparing and choosing from multiple units is something you cannot do on line and usually cannot even do in a store, as they often only have one (or don't want to open more than one). So I was lucky.

Aug 12, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #17,770 of 65,633
Enjoying Mars Volta's first album-De Loused in the Comaorium-for the uninitiated-this is a spellbinding prog outfit......somewhat experimental and occasionally wadenrs into metal territories-in a sort of post punk zeppelin meets Rush way and had a child with any 70's prog psychedelic band of your choice. For people who like to fly their weird freak flag like me.

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #17,774 of 65,633
I realise that I'm a bit late to answer your question CanadianMaestro, but I read the responses that you got so far, and I share LC,s opinion 100%. 

I see Grados as follows, the whole SR and RS series, all of wich are better suited for small scale recordings, the GS1000i, and PS1000, wich are my go to headphones for everything that's large scale, and the PS500, wich, with their strong bass bias, and slight treble roll off, have, what I consider to be, the most unGrado like sound.

I have owned the PS500 for about 2 weeks before switching to the PS1000. I understand that coming from me, this might surprise some of you, but I've held my peace long enough, Professionnal Series, the PS500?, more like Piece of Sh&t!!!, John Grado must've been on something good when he came up with these. I'm sorry if I'm stepping on some toes here,
but I simply can't take all the praising that SOME people have been giving them. In mi opinion the PS500 have more in common with Beats by DrDre's sound signature, I can't even say signature, it's more like a mark, a bit like a dog who pees on your leg to say that you're his, or in this case, that you've been had, I should say. I already feel better now that I don't have to keep up this Mr nice guy charade anymore regarding the PS500.

On a more positive note, I'd like to say to all the PS500 owners, including Focker, whom all the time I was writing the above comments, could hear sharpening his pencil, probably less to write a responce, and more to stab me with it, to disregard the above comments about his beloved (and rightly so) PS500. The force is strong with this one, the PS500 have a strong following. They are indeed a different flavor of Grado, but isn't variety, the spice of life?.

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #17,775 of 65,633
  I realise that I'm a bit late to answer your question CanadianMaestro, but I read the responses that you got so far, and I share LC,s opinion 100%. 

I see Grados as follows, the whole SR and RS series, all of wich are better suited for small scale recordings, the GS1000i, and PS1000, wich are my go to headphones for everything that's large scale, and the PS500, wich, with their strong bass bias, and slight treble roll off, have, what I consider to be, the most unGrado like sound.

I have owned the PS500 for about 2 weeks before switching to the PS1000. I understand that coming from me, this might surprise some of you, but I've held my peace long enough, Professionnal Series, the PS500?, more like Piece of Sh&t!!!, John Grado must've been on something good when he came up with these. I'm sorry if I'm stepping on some toes here,
but I simply can't take all the praising that SOME people have been giving them. In mi opinion the PS500 have more in common with Beats by DrDre's sound signature, I can't even say signature, it's more like a mark, a bit like a dog who pees on your leg to say that you're his, or in this case, that you've been had, I should say. I already feel better now that I don't have to keep up this Mr nice guy charade anymore regarding the PS500.

On a more positive note, I'd like to say to all the PS500 owners, including Focker, whom all the time I was writing the above comments, could hear sharpening his pencil, probably less to write a responce, and more to stab me with it, to disregard the above comments about his beloved (and rightly so) PS500. The force is strong with this one, the PS500 have a strong following. They are indeed a different flavor of Grado, but isn't variety, the spice of life?.

Hey stacker, no worries, we all have our preferences. My 500 sounds divine. And no two Grados are the same, as I've stated before.  Had my 500 for 2 yrs now, and it has really blossomed with my system. No lip service or mr nice guy. I call it as I hear it.

Life's boring if everyone agreed on everything. Here's to the music -- 'cause in the end, that's what really matters!  Keep punchin' man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back