++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 14, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #12,106 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello everyone, I'm new around here as you can tell by my post count. I've had Beats Studios and Pros and I've enjoyed them, but after doing some research on here I've sold them and am now looking for a be pair of cans. What do y'all think about the V-Moda Crossfade LP? I can get them from Amazon for like 108 bucks and plan on getting a fiio e7 to use as well. I mostly listen to hip-hop, rap, rnb, and dubstep. I also like the fact that the V-Moda's come with a hard shell case and detachable cable.

The original Crossfades won't be a huge improvement over your beats, as they tend to be a bit muddy, and the Beats Pros are fairly competent, though overpriced. If you want V-modas, at least go for the LP2s, which have supposedly cleaned up that muddiness while retaining the bass, if that's what you're looking for. The M80s are more balanced, and sound better in general, but that comes with a smaller bass boost and are on-ear. 
We can give you other options as well if you can tell us what music you tend to listen to and how/when you're going to be listening to them.

Feb 14, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #12,108 of 29,490

Quote:
For bright and warm I guess the A- series could work, but I really don't know anything about them. Maybe someone else can help with this?

Well, the M80 is no slouch on bass, but the LP2 will be quite bass-heavy, if the original crossfade LP is any indication. What kind of music do you listen to? What kind of sound to you prefer? Is comfort/form factor an issue? The answers to these questions will help you a lot in deciding which to buy.

I mostly listen to pop, rap and hip hop, electronic, and classic rock. I prefer really powerfull thumping-controlled bass without overpowering the mids and highs. I also have a big head and comfort is important, but i am willing to sacrifice a bit of comfort for sound quality

Feb 14, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #12,109 of 29,490
The original Crossfades won't be a huge improvement over your beats, as they tend to be a bit muddy, and the Beats Pros are fairly competent, though overpriced. If you want V-modas, at least go for the LP2s, which have supposedly cleaned up that muddiness while retaining the bass, if that's what you're looking for. The M80s are more balanced, and sound better in general, but that comes with a smaller bass boost and are on-ear. 
We can give you other options as well if you can tell us what music you tend to listen to and how/when you're going to be listening to them.

Well I listen to hip-hop,rap, rnb, dubstep, reggea and some rock like System of a Down. I would like something around 150 but am willing to go up to 200. And I will mostly be using them while traveling.

Feb 14, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #12,110 of 29,490
Hi,

I ordered a Cowon Iaudio 10 mp3-player and am now thinking of adding InEar headphones. I own AKG K272 HD and AKG K518 as OnEar headphones. In fact I want to know which headphones fit in well with the Cowon. I dont want to pay more than 150€ (half of that would be great). I like electronic music and pop/hiphop.
Some guy recommended the Shure SE215 or UE triple.fi 10...
I would also try some Denon or AKG but they do not seem to be really good at InEars.
I`d tend to the shure but worry their sound could be to similar to the (onEar) headphones I already got (also because pricewise they are right between these 2)??
What do you think of the Beyerdynamics DTX 101iE as a middle solution while saving for more expensive headphones? (or would you say the IAudio deserves more?)

Thx
Dominik

edit: sry I accidently posted in the wron sub-forum - need to go to InEar-subsection - my fault! 

Feb 14, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #12,111 of 29,490

Quote:
Well I listen to hip-hop,rap, rnb, dubstep, reggea and some rock like System of a Down. I would like something around 150 but am willing to go up to 200. And I will mostly be using them while traveling.

Quote:

you could kill two birds with one stone for me and tygga larry!

Feb 14, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #12,112 of 29,490

Quote:
I mostly listen to pop, rap and hip hop, electronic, and classic rock. I prefer really powerfull thumping-controlled bass without overpowering the mids and highs. I also have a big head and comfort is important, but i am willing to sacrifice a bit of comfort for sound quality

For thumping bass, I think the LP2 might fit better. However, the M80s could also work, as I don't really know how you gauge bass. For other brands you could look into the Ultrasone HFI580/780 series or the Audio Technica PRO700MK2. 

Quote:

HFI580/780, M50, M80, HD25-1. THe M80s and HD25s will the the most portable, while the M50s/HFI580/780s are bigger, and the M50s have longer cables.

Quote:
Hi,

I ordered a Cowon Iaudio 10 mp3-player and am now thinking of adding InEar headphones. I own AKG K272 HD and AKG K518 as OnEar headphones. In fact I want to know which headphones fit in well with the Cowon. I dont want to pay more than 150€ (half of that would be great). I like electronic music and pop/hiphop.
Some guy recommended the Shure SE215 or UE triple.fi 10...
I would also try some Denon or AKG but they do not seem to be really good at InEars.
I`d tend to the shure but worry their sound could be to similar to the (onEar) headphones I already got (also because pricewise they are right between these 2)??
What do you think of the Beyerdynamics DTX 101iE as a middle solution while saving for more expensive headphones? (or would you say the IAudio deserves more?)

Thx
Dominik

edit: sry I accidently posted in the wron sub-forum - need to go to InEar-subsection - my fault! 

while you're at it, check out ljokerl's massive review thread, as he can give you more info than I ever could. 

Feb 14, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #12,116 of 29,490
I am finally going to satisfy my itch for some higher end (higher than what I'm used to) quality headphones. As much as I love listening to music and as much as I love the natural high that I get from listening to music with good sound quality, my higher end pair of headphones are way overdue. I would like to know what you all feel may be the best headphones that I can get within the $100 to $300 dollar price range and why?

I mainly listen to music on my mp3 player and MacBook Pro and at times on my stereo. The main genre of music that I enjoy is Hip-Hop but I also listen to R&B, Pop, Jazz, Rock, and Latin music such as Salsa, Afro-Cuban, Merengue, and Bachata. Bass is important to me but it doesn't have to be super huge as long as it is good enough to make my Hip-Hop music sound good being that bass is so important in Hip-Hop. I definitely don't want weak bass. I would like to hear good detail, good separation, and just nice and overall good and enjoyable sound across the board of sonic categories. Now I know that I may be asking for too much (LOL) but basically I'm looking for something that comes as close to my ideal as possible even if it is not exactly my ideal. Closed, open, semi-open are all fine with me, though I might have a slight lean more towards semi-open since based on a comment I came across in a review I have the impression that it is the best of both worlds...

I've been doing my research and from my amateur perspective I think that the Philips Fidelio L1 or M1 would be a good fit for me. What do you think? Of course, I would need to listen to them and judge for myself first before I would actually purchase them so I'm not fully resolved to buy them yet.

I would really appreciate your feedback. Thanks

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #12,117 of 29,490

Quote:

^ I know exactly what you're talking about, this is the burning question for me if I will like the headphones or not and might be ready to admit I will sell these based on initial listen even. It seems to have to do mostly with how the soundstage is projected, some are very engaging a bit more in-your-face, you're in the middle of the music with everything surrounding you while others it may feel you're in a concert hall listening with a more relaxed sound that is not as engaging as in you don't get the feeling you want to dance to the music etc.

Sounds like M-Audio Q40 would be a good option. It has strong but GOOD quality bass that also improves quite a lot with amping. I'm still amazed how great this headphone handles bass from bass quantity vs quality point of view, Beyer DT770 Pro/80 and M50 are no match even, the Q40 has both stronger and better quality bass. The bass also extends very nicely and sounds even in the whole range and it definitely packs a lot impact in the whole range, very punchy, textured and controlled bass, those 3 words explain the bass response of these headphones perfectly. 

Besides the bass the mids and highs sound neutral and very even in the whole range, there's a tiny boost around 8kHz or so which gives the highs some sparkle but I'm sensitive to sibilance and extended highs and these are just right for me, they are on the border of becoming too bright to me as I prefer neutral highs but these aren't TOO bright especially after I stuffed some paper beneath the pads to make them deeper which also tamed down the 8kHz peak just a very tiny bit as well as possibly improving the soundstage somewhat as there's more space between the ear and the drivers while still keeping the engaging sound.

On the cheap Panasonic HTF600 fits the description perfectly as well which may cost like £30 but to me performs like 3x the price sound quality wise. Compared to Q40 it's like a more "fun"/engaging headphone in favor for less detail, it's warmer and "easier" to listen to as you forget about analyzing the music and just wanna dance along with it but if you also want more detail then Q40 is it while still being fun. You can get both for £130, I suggest picking up them both. If you want another cheaper option, Brainwavz HM3 is suprisingly good for the price and fits under the bit more bassheavy & fun description and has really nice design. 

Seems like you went through the same thing as me then. It's a pain in the arse but exciting all at the same time isn't it? 
tongue.gif

Sorry I'm replying a bit late, had to do some research on the q40's as I don't know anything about them. I'm surprised they beat out the 770's in the bass department. I've read through quite a few threads over the past few days trying to get an idea of good basshead cans, and the q40's were never mentioned. I've done a search now and a lot of them agree with you that the q40 has more bass impact and quality. That's made my list a bit longer and my choice a bit harder now.

Problem I have with the q40's is that they aren't sold by any of the main sites (HIfiheadphones, Frogbeats) so I may get some problems trying to return them. The other problem is the comfort. Since my purchase is going to be used solely for home use I want something very comfortable, and a bit bigger. Also the Q40's seem to have problems with it's cables which might turn out to be more hassle than it's worth. Going by what I've read, the mids and the treble are neutral, which would mean the treble has no sparkle. A lot of my songs have female voices and I'd like their voices to be impressive when listening (Is this the same as being bright?). Can they be EQ'd to get that magic in the upper mids/higher frequencies? With the 770's and the q40's both being monitors, does it mean they will more or less accurately represent my source?

I will add it to my list of phones to consider anyway, thanks for bringing it to my attention. Also it's funny you mentioned the panasonics. I passed by them in a supermarket, saw the box that said "studio Monitors" on them and scoffed them because I thought there was no way they were monitors at only 30 quid. And here you are suggesting them to me. A little search in the forums tells me that these cans are also very good. Can you tell me more about them? Any other decent Headphones I haven't heard of?

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #12,118 of 29,490

Quote:
Which headphones under $250 retail have the best comfort and least sound leakage?

Beyerdynamic DT770 are comfortable and closed.

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #12,119 of 29,490

Quote:
For thumping bass, I think the LP2 might fit better. However, the M80s could also work, as I don't really know how you gauge bass. For other brands you could look into the Ultrasone HFI580/780 series or the Audio Technica PRO700MK2. 

I really appreciate all of your time thank you very much, I think i can make a decision on my own now.

Feb 14, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #12,120 of 29,490
hey guys
I mainly listen to rap/hip hop, and am looking for some over-the-ear headphones with lots of bass. I want to spend around $60 at the most. I heard the Sony mdr-xb500 headphones were very good for bass, but all the places that have them for a good price are sold out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back