++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 13, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #12,076 of 29,490

Quote:

Hey everybody, I am looking to buy a good new pair of cans.

What I am looking for:
Over-ear, circumaural is preferred (the style of the Grado sr125i's work too, but not sure how much they leak)
Price range $400 or less
Not using an amp, so a can that sounds great without an amp
Good strong bass, but clean and not overpowering (beats are way overpowered bass)
I am going to be using them in public so leakage is not preferred, but I can deal with some
Comfortable so I can wear them for hours without ear fatigue
Not too experienced with this whole deal, so Im not sure what I want in terms of mids and highs, but as long as you can differentiate the notes well and hear the music clean and well sounding

What kind of music I listen to:
Pretty much everything: dance, hip hop, rap, rock, some alternative
(examples: Avicii, Linkin Park, Blink-182, Bruce Springsteen, Lupe Fiasco, Skrillex, Dispatch, Eminem, pretty much everything besides classical and country)

Headphones:
Denon D2000 - I have not tried these, but a lot of people have recommended these as they have good bass, but do they still maintain the quality of others with less bass
Shure SRH840 - I have not tried these, but people have recommended these as well, never tried shure...how are they?
Grado SR325is and 125i - I tried the 125s on and LOVED the quality of them, but I am not sure if they have enough bass as the sample music was not bass heavy...How is the bass on these or the 325s? and how is the leakage on the Grados? Also are the 325s on ear or over?
Sennheiser HD598 - I tried on the HD 280Pros and I liked them, but I am not sure the quality stood up to the Grados in my mind. The 280s are a lot lower tier than the 598s though, so that may make the difference that I heard.
Fischer FA-003/Brainwavz HM5 - these two were also recommended to me, but I do not know much about them.

Conclusion:
I am up for new suggestions if you think they fit my preferences better than the ones I mentioned, but I am really looking for the best all around performer in the areas I mentioned above. I listen to a lot of music, so it is hard to encompass all my likes into one headphone, but I hope you can help me narrow it down to one. I tried to supply all the information I could and I hope it is enough. 
 ​
Thanks in advance for your help.

Just the leakage requirement rules out all the Grados and the Sennheisers, unfortunately. The SRH840s and the HM5s are solid, but they're more on the neutral side, so the bass might not be quite strong enough. However, the HM5s are very comfortable (or so I've heard) if that's a bigger priority. For a more fun sound, you could look into the HFI780s, M50s, Pro900s, or the D2000s.

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #12,077 of 29,490
Created my own thread, and then saw this one (will delete original post):

I recently purchased some Sennheiser HD598s because of their rave reviews regarding soundstage, and general gaming/movie watching goodness.  I am one hundred percent in love with them, even listening to them through my iPhone (they're very easy to drive). 

I understand that any headphone will benefit from some amplification, even easily driven ones like the HD598s.  I really like the price/quality ratio on the FiiO e7/e9 combo.  Is this setup good for movies?  I can't seem to find any information on that.  I don't necessarily need something that has great positional audio, I rarely play games, let alone online FPS games.  What is important is the immersion factor when watching movies.  Is there a great amp for movie-watching that I am overlooking?

Also, there's a rebrand of the e7 on Amazon under the brand "Pyle".  Is this an OEM thing, or is it a crappier version of the e7?  Regardless of the purchase of the e9, I am definitely in the market for an e7 for portable listening (I take my 598s to work with me, currently, until I can swing some M50s)

Thanks for all your help.

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #12,078 of 29,490

Quote:
Well, I sort of assumed you'd want closed cans for privacy, but I realized you didn't actually specify about that or portability. Is that at all important to you? If it is, check out the SRH840s, HM5s, M50s, and HFI780s. If not, you could get the HD598s, DT880s, or Q701s paired with a budget amp. 

Naw, closed or open, it doesn't really matter. Though I suppose the thought here is that open generally gives you a better soundstage, is this a positive for good audio?

Feb 14, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #12,079 of 29,490
So the initial question is: What is the best combo of headphones and a DAC/Amp for me, using my PC as the source (MP3: 320kbps and FLAC), while staying under $150.

What I listen to: Large variety. Lots of classical as well as rock, metal, and electronica.

A little background: Over the past 5 years I've been getting more and more into better sound. It started with the little things of getting away from $1 store earbuds. Soon after, it got to be upping my mp3 quality to 192kbps. Now I've enjoyed 320kbps MP3 as well as FLAC and wonder how I ever thought 128kbps was a thing. Well, now I've gotten to the point where I mostly use my Sennheiser HD201 or Koss KSC75 with either my computer or my Sansa Clip+. I also own the American Audio Black HP550 which I find to be a bit more distorted and muddy than the HD201. I currently run the sound from my PC through the motherboard. I do a bit of gaming, mostly things like Mass Effect or League of Legends, but I think getting a good music rig is more important than gaming which I can get things for later.

What I've been looking at: For headphones, I've been looking at the Grado SR60i and SR80i. Over the years, I remember those coming up as some of the best in the sub $100 range. After looking into it more and more, I've occasionally found some that feel it is mostly good for rock only, but that it delivers great soundstage. Some others I've seen are the Sennheiser HD419 and Samson SR850. Being open or closed isn't important. I'm looking for the best value of sound quality to cost I can get.
I haven't been entirely sure if I need a DAC and/or amp with headphones. I've mostly been looking towards the FiiO E7, which I think would be enough for any of the headphones I might want, with the ability to get the E9 should I have some that need more. Recently, I've noticed the FiiO E10 which seems to fit what I want even better, though. I don't really need a portable headphone amp because I would be using these mostly from home. I’m not entirely sure if that kind of DAC would be a big improvement on a <$100 set of headphones or if a much cheaper one would do fine. It just seems that any time a first DAC comes up the FiiO E7 gets mentioned as one of the best ones to start with. If I go out with my Sansa Clip+ I would mostly likely just stick with my Sennheiser HD201 or Koss KSC75 or Sennheiser earbuds. I have no sound card currently and run things through the motherboard audio outs, so I think a sound card or external DAC/Amp would probably improve the quality significantly. One other sound card I remember looking at was the ASUS PCI 5.1 XONAR_DG if I wanted to save some money.

I hope this is enough information to get started on upgrading my rig. I’m glad I can get out of just using some budget $15 headphones and looking to get the best bang for my buck. I think aiming for around $150 towards this is a good step. It isn’t like these kind of things are going to be useless after a couple years like some computer parts or a college textbook will. Thanks for any help you can give, and have already given over the years I’ve been lurking.

Feb 14, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #12,080 of 29,490
I'd really appreciate some recommendations on getting a new set of headphones.  I've been reading around and seeing a lot of people mentioning ATH-M50s and HD25-I IIs as good choices, but I'm pretty noob with this stuff, so I thought it would be a good idea to get some opinions based off my specific uses.

Budget:  hopefully $350 or less, but I can always save a little bit more.
Music:  extremely varied; electronic (chiptune, electronica, house...), rock (metal, indie, new wave, pop, progressive, Japanese... etc.), folk, classical, soundtrack, some jazz, some R&B... About the only thing I don't listen to is rap/hip hop.  If it helps, I tend to like songs that have very clear and powerful vocals and/or have a variety of instruments and sounds.  Also, I believe it's referred to as a sound stage??? But I like hearing the "physical placements" of the instruments.
Use:  At home only.  Will primarily be using it to listen to a cowon J3, and I tend to just leave my music in FLAC.
Comfort:  My current pair are circumaural, and I kinda like that.  Supra-aural ones tend to hurt me after a while 'cause of my glasses.
Misc.:  I don't really know much about things like amps.  If it's a good idea, I don't mind looking into it more, but it'd be awesome if it's not necessary at this stage.  Also, it would be great if they don't leak sound too much.  I know I'm at home with them, but it's a small place, and I live with other people.

I hope I covered all the important stuff.  If you can help me, thanks in advance :)

Feb 14, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #12,082 of 29,490
Hi all,
I'm looking for two solutions for my HDTVs.
1st is the family room TV that tv has NO headphone jack, and I would like recommendations for a dolby headphone amp or SRS headphone amp with digital input, to simulate surround sound via headphones.  That TV at this time will have NO AV receiver, but we frequently need one or two headphones in that room due to other activities in the room.  See Below for features that I would like.

2nd is the main room with 5.1 Surround Sound HDTV setup.  I would like a TRUE 5.1 headphone solution for late night viewing, but still want TRUE surround sound. 

One thing it is difficult to find a dolby headphone amp or SRS headphone amp that is specifically for HD TV/Movies surround sound, most of the dolby/SRS surround sound headphone amps are for gaming, and they look like toys.

Here is an example of setup for the TRUE surround sound, the specs hereUnfortunately this surround sound setup has been discountinued.  If some one could point me to something similar I would be grateful.

Features I would like:

Wire headphones, NOT wireless
Headphones NOT headsetg
Amp to look like amp not a toy
Amp to have two headphone jacks if possible.
Digital optical input,
Remote Control
Over the ear headphones

Budget for both $300 closer to $200 would be better.

For dolby surround amp, if I have to go with gaming one like the Turtle DSS2 which make/model would be the best for movies/tv?
Which bang for buck headphones for the dolby headphone amp setup?

I say no wireless because I have yet to use or own a wireless headphone that didn't have a whine, or other unnessary noises, and last longer than 12 months.  If I pay $100 or more for headphones I have to get 5+ years out of them.

All help is appreciated....

Feb 14, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #12,084 of 29,490
I thought I'd start here first before starting a new thread. 

I listen to j-pop/rock and k-pop and am looking for over the ear headphones for home use. I think I posted in this thread ages ago but I'm not sure exactly what I asked. Anyway since that post I had bought the Sennheiser Hd 558 (and other phones, see profile), and they really do not work for me. It feels like I'm analysing my music rather than enjoying it. Bass is weak and does not have any noteworthy impact.

I want a headphone that is engaging and allows me to enjoy the songs without requiring any effort. It should be fun and engaging. I want to be part of the music rather than detached from it (which is what I feel now, maybe it's the open back?). Voices should sparkle and bass should be impactful.

For those that are unfamiliar with these genres, J/K-pop uses most synthesised sounds and usually have a lot of bass. They aren't bass heavy like RnB, but the bass is definitely there, at least I think anyway. My Idea of good bass is reverberating (but not loose) bass that you can feel in your skin, strong and deep impact (like a subwoofer), and deep rumbling lows, but the bass shouldn't be bloated or completely drown out everything else, although I understand it will to a degree.  

If I give you a few examples maybe you can tell me what I should be looking for.

Here are a few examples.

SNSD genie - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0kD138mk2g&feature=related

Super Junior Mr Simple - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6TwzSGYycM

Boystyle - Kokoro No chizu http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4MkFtHg6EA (not the best quality, just giving you an idea. This is probably more vocal orientated.).

Prague - Light Infection http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKAxgLHu2Eg (A example of a j-rock song)  

Headphones will also be used for watching anime and playing games as well but music is the priority and I can always use my TB for gaming if I need to.

After my research I've made a shortlist
DT770/80
ATH-M50 or pro 700?
Fischer Audio FA-011
DT990/250

Basically any headphones that are fun and capable of subwoofer like bass (I can always reduce the bass if I need to). I'm guessing Audio Technica would be the best suit for my genres, but they look very uncomfortable. I tried the WS55 in a shop and it was hurting my ears within 10 seconds.  

My budget is £130. If any one can suggest 2 headphones then I can order them both and compare them to see which one is best for me (then return the other one).

Please feel free to add/take anything away, and sorry for the long post. 

Feb 14, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #12,085 of 29,490
looking into $200-300 amped headphone, preferably closed. I'm trying to upgrade from M50s, and I'm thinking ATH-A900 because I want to try out higher end Audio Technicas. I'm still open to suggestions and to try different cans.

Feb 14, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #12,087 of 29,490

Quote:
Created my own thread, and then saw this one (will delete original post):

I recently purchased some Sennheiser HD598s because of their rave reviews regarding soundstage, and general gaming/movie watching goodness.  I am one hundred percent in love with them, even listening to them through my iPhone (they're very easy to drive). 

I understand that any headphone will benefit from some amplification, even easily driven ones like the HD598s.  I really like the price/quality ratio on the FiiO e7/e9 combo.  Is this setup good for movies?  I can't seem to find any information on that.  I don't necessarily need something that has great positional audio, I rarely play games, let alone online FPS games.  What is important is the immersion factor when watching movies.  Is there a great amp for movie-watching that I am overlooking?

Also, there's a rebrand of the e7 on Amazon under the brand "Pyle".  Is this an OEM thing, or is it a crappier version of the e7?  Regardless of the purchase of the e9, I am definitely in the market for an e7 for portable listening (I take my 598s to work with me, currently, until I can swing some M50s)

Thanks for all your help.

I don't think you'll really find an amp specifically for movie-watching, but the E7/E9 has been a perennial favorite as far as budget dac/amp combos. However, if you can stretch your budget a little, an E17 will give you a much nicer portable experience, as well as a better USB DAC for home use. I've not hear a lot about the Pyle E7, but I suspect they just use Fiio as an OEM.

Quote:

Naw, closed or open, it doesn't really matter. Though I suppose the thought here is that open generally gives you a better soundstage, is this a positive for good audio?

Open will generally provide better soundstage, but aren't suited for use in public.

Quote:
So the initial question is: What is the best combo of headphones and a DAC/Amp for me, using my PC as the source (MP3: 320kbps and FLAC), while staying under $150.

What I listen to: Large variety. Lots of classical as well as rock, metal, and electronica.

A little background: Over the past 5 years I've been getting more and more into better sound. It started with the little things of getting away from $1 store earbuds. Soon after, it got to be upping my mp3 quality to 192kbps. Now I've enjoyed 320kbps MP3 as well as FLAC and wonder how I ever thought 128kbps was a thing. Well, now I've gotten to the point where I mostly use my Sennheiser HD201 or Koss KSC75 with either my computer or my Sansa Clip+. I also own the American Audio Black HP550 which I find to be a bit more distorted and muddy than the HD201. I currently run the sound from my PC through the motherboard. I do a bit of gaming, mostly things like Mass Effect or League of Legends, but I think getting a good music rig is more important than gaming which I can get things for later.

What I've been looking at: For headphones, I've been looking at the Grado SR60i and SR80i. Over the years, I remember those coming up as some of the best in the sub $100 range. After looking into it more and more, I've occasionally found some that feel it is mostly good for rock only, but that it delivers great soundstage. Some others I've seen are the Sennheiser HD419 and Samson SR850. Being open or closed isn't important. I'm looking for the best value of sound quality to cost I can get.
I haven't been entirely sure if I need a DAC and/or amp with headphones. I've mostly been looking towards the FiiO E7, which I think would be enough for any of the headphones I might want, with the ability to get the E9 should I have some that need more. Recently, I've noticed the FiiO E10 which seems to fit what I want even better, though. I don't really need a portable headphone amp because I would be using these mostly from home. I’m not entirely sure if that kind of DAC would be a big improvement on a <$100 set of headphones or if a much cheaper one would do fine. It just seems that any time a first DAC comes up the FiiO E7 gets mentioned as one of the best ones to start with. If I go out with my Sansa Clip+ I would mostly likely just stick with my Sennheiser HD201 or Koss KSC75 or Sennheiser earbuds. I have no sound card currently and run things through the motherboard audio outs, so I think a sound card or external DAC/Amp would probably improve the quality significantly. One other sound card I remember looking at was the ASUS PCI 5.1 XONAR_DG if I wanted to save some money.

I hope this is enough information to get started on upgrading my rig. I’m glad I can get out of just using some budget $15 headphones and looking to get the best bang for my buck. I think aiming for around $150 towards this is a good step. It isn’t like these kind of things are going to be useless after a couple years like some computer parts or a college textbook will. Thanks for any help you can give, and have already given over the years I’ve been lurking.

At your price range, it might be more worthwhile to just spend the entire $150 on your headphones, as you'll see a bigger improvement than if you spent half of it on an amp. If you're using these exclusively at home, the Sennheiser HD558 is a good choice for all-around listening. Grados are good as well, but only if you like the sound signature, which, as you mentioned, is pretty much geared towards rock. The HD558 should be a better-rounded can, and better soundstaging to boot.

Quote:
I'd really appreciate some recommendations on getting a new set of headphones.  I've been reading around and seeing a lot of people mentioning ATH-M50s and HD25-I IIs as good choices, but I'm pretty noob with this stuff, so I thought it would be a good idea to get some opinions based off my specific uses.

Budget:  hopefully $350 or less, but I can always save a little bit more.
Music:  extremely varied; electronic (chiptune, electronica, house...), rock (metal, indie, new wave, pop, progressive, Japanese... etc.), folk, classical, soundtrack, some jazz, some R&B... About the only thing I don't listen to is rap/hip hop.  If it helps, I tend to like songs that have very clear and powerful vocals and/or have a variety of instruments and sounds.  Also, I believe it's referred to as a sound stage??? But I like hearing the "physical placements" of the instruments.
Use:  At home only.  Will primarily be using it to listen to a cowon J3, and I tend to just leave my music in FLAC.
Comfort:  My current pair are circumaural, and I kinda like that.  Supra-aural ones tend to hurt me after a while 'cause of my glasses.
Misc.:  I don't really know much about things like amps.  If it's a good idea, I don't mind looking into it more, but it'd be awesome if it's not necessary at this stage.  Also, it would be great if they don't leak sound too much.  I know I'm at home with them, but it's a small place, and I live with other people.

I hope I covered all the important stuff.  If you can help me, thanks in advance :)

If you're using it exclusively at home and are looking for soundstage, I'd normally recommend a pair of open cans, as they tend to perform better in that regard. As long as you don' listen too long, and as long as your roomates aren't too picky, the leakage shouldn't be too much of a problem, especially if you're listening in your own room. That being said, your budget could get you either the Sennheiser HD598 or AKG Q701 paired with a Fiio E10, which makes for a nice all-around setup that you can easily upgrade later. They'll work for you as long as you aren't looking for overwhelming amounts of bass. For that, maybe check out the Denon D2000s.

Feb 14, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #12,088 of 29,490
My 555s are starting to give up on me so I'm thinking of getting ATH-AD700. Do you think those would be a good replacement. Would they fit with my Art headamp4+Juli@? Any other open cans up to 180 bucks you can suggest? Thanks!

Feb 14, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #12,089 of 29,490

Quote:
I want a headphone that is engaging and allows me to enjoy the songs without requiring any effort. It should be fun and engaging. I want to be part of the music rather than detached from it (which is what I feel now, maybe it's the open back?). Voices should sparkle and bass should be impactful.

^ I know exactly what you're talking about, this is the burning question for me if I will like the headphones or not and might be ready to admit I will sell these based on initial listen even. It seems to have to do mostly with how the soundstage is projected, some are very engaging a bit more in-your-face, you're in the middle of the music with everything surrounding you while others it may feel you're in a concert hall listening with a more relaxed sound that is not as engaging as in you don't get the feeling you want to dance to the music etc.

Sounds like M-Audio Q40 would be a good option. It has strong but GOOD quality bass that also improves quite a lot with amping. I'm still amazed how great this headphone handles bass from bass quantity vs quality point of view, Beyer DT770 Pro/80 and M50 are no match even, the Q40 has both stronger and better quality bass. The bass also extends very nicely and sounds even in the whole range and it definitely packs a lot impact in the whole range, very punchy, textured and controlled bass, those 3 words explain the bass response of these headphones perfectly. 

Besides the bass the mids and highs sound neutral and very even in the whole range, there's a tiny boost around 8kHz or so which gives the highs some sparkle but I'm sensitive to sibilance and extended highs and these are just right for me, they are on the border of becoming too bright to me as I prefer neutral highs but these aren't TOO bright especially after I stuffed some paper beneath the pads to make them deeper which also tamed down the 8kHz peak just a very tiny bit as well as possibly improving the soundstage somewhat as there's more space between the ear and the drivers while still keeping the engaging sound.

On the cheap Panasonic HTF600 fits the description perfectly as well which may cost like £30 but to me performs like 3x the price sound quality wise. Compared to Q40 it's like a more "fun"/engaging headphone in favor for less detail, it's warmer and "easier" to listen to as you forget about analyzing the music and just wanna dance along with it but if you also want more detail then Q40 is it while still being fun. You can get both for £130, I suggest picking up them both. If you want another cheaper option, Brainwavz HM3 is suprisingly good for the price and fits under the bit more bassheavy & fun description and has really nice design. 

Feb 14, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #12,090 of 29,490

Quote:

I'll be fairly blunt here, list exactly what I want in descending order of importance. 

1. Extremely comfortable for extended use. I might go on a 24 marathon, and the headphones have to keep up!

2. Good noise isolation. I'm not too fussed about noise cancellation, but that would be a bonus (I expect I'll use these cans for flights)

3. Decent audio quality, of course. I don't want over-powered bass, I listen mainly to classical and heavy/death metal. I want to hear those symbols and guitar riffs! (Can't have the bass too light, as I said, I want to use it for films and TV too.)

4. Wireless (with no delay, as far as I know, Kleer 2.4GHz has no delay. Like on the Sennheiser RS170s.), however, with an optional 3.5mm port on the cans for use on planes/on-the-go.

As for price range, I'd rather stay on the lower side of $300/£200, and really don't care if there is a perfect one for £5. It's all about quality, not price. :)

From what I saw, the Sennheiser RS170s were all but perfect. I do need there to be the option to use it wired as well for plane journeys and on-the-go. (If I'm missing something, and it actually does, tell me soon and this is a very short thread!)

All help appreciated :)

If you could include my nickname "plastonick" in your response, it would be helpful so I can search answers!!

To be honest, your requirements are pretty strict, and you've only got a few choices. The closest I can think of is the Senn PX360BT (http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PX-360-BT-Collapsible/dp/B003V9RWGW/ref=pd_cp_e_0), but it's bluetooth, and I'm not sure if that has a delay or not It can also be used wired, however, which does fit that req. Something like the Senn RS series will not work, because AFAIK, they're all open. I also don't know if there's any headphones that will be comfortable for 24 hours straight.

Quote:
Well, according to reviews that sounds like a great amp. A bit expensive with shipping added (57$!!!) - the total would be around 230€, and knowing that I would have to buy a decent DAC... oh boy, this is getting out of hand.
Assuming I would buy the Asgard, what DAC would you recommend? The NuForce Icon uDac-2? The HRT Music Streamer II? Another one?

How would the connections be, though? Computer --- USB ---> DAC --- ??? ---> Amp --- headphones' cable ---> Headphones  ?

Thanks.

Honestly, I don't know a whole lot about amps and DACs, so you might be better off asking in the dac/amp forum. However, I know Fiio makes some good budget DACs, and the ones you mentioned have also gotten rave reviews.

Quote:
Okay, thank you a lot..
just another question, on ebay aus the Audio-technica PRO700MK2 is $179.95 compared to the M50s which is about $147.95
Is the PRO700MK2 MUCH better than the M50?
Also, i saw that the HFI780s are about $75 more expensive than the Ultrasone DJ 1 Headphones..whats the difference and is it worth the extra $75?
Cheers dude, Abz :D

The short answer is no. The Pro700 is mostly bassier than the M50s, so if you don't want that, I'd stick with the M50s. Also, i don't know where you live or where you're getting your headphones, but on Amazon (US), the 780s are only like $151, which is the same or less than the DJ1Pros.

Quote:
Does senn HD 600 or HD 650 fit well with music like Muse,Placebo? and which one of them is better for that?

Probably the 600, as it's supposed to have a bit more treble presence.

Quote:
Hello all, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to being an audiophile, so please help me.
happy_face1.gif
If you don't know how much of a newbie I am, let me just say that i own like 7 skullcandy products and is also getting a pair of ibeats. Now with that aside, I'm looking forward to buy a pair of cans for my ipod. My budget is $200 and my preferences are 50% hip-hop, 20% rock, 10% pop, 15% oldies, and 5% classical. Thanks in advance.
beyersmile.png

Given your apparent tastes in headphone styles, I'd recommend something like the HD25-1s or the V-Moda M80s, which are both excellent portables, as well as kind of stylish. The Phiaton MS400s could work as well.

Quote:
It isn't so much public, but at my desktop at home when I want to tune the wife out, and my office at work.

If you're trying to tune someone out or use them at work, I think closed cans will work better. 

Quote:
What are the best headphones under $100 that have the least sound leakage?

Try the Koss DJ100 and the Creative Aurvana Lives. Closed cans in general leak very little sound, so there shouldn't be much of a problem. 

Quote:
Hey, you are awesome haha, but i wonder if you forgot to type a recommendation for me or couldn't help me on that post hahaha, just wondering i think the original post its n page 793 thanks, or if anyone else could help me with that i'll appreciate that :)

Sorry, I must have missed it. Can you repost it?

Quote:
Hi all,
I'm looking for two solutions for my HDTVs.
1st is the family room TV that tv has NO headphone jack, and I would like recommendations for a dolby headphone amp or SRS headphone amp with digital input, to simulate surround sound via headphones.  That TV at this time will have NO AV receiver, but we frequently need one or two headphones in that room due to other activities in the room.  See Below for features that I would like.

2nd is the main room with 5.1 Surround Sound HDTV setup.  I would like a TRUE 5.1 headphone solution for late night viewing, but still want TRUE surround sound. 

One thing it is difficult to find a dolby headphone amp or SRS headphone amp that is specifically for HD TV/Movies surround sound, most of the dolby/SRS surround sound headphone amps are for gaming, and they look like toys.

Here is an example of setup for the TRUE surround sound, the specs hereUnfortunately this surround sound setup has been discountinued.  If some one could point me to something similar I would be grateful.

Features I would like:

Wire headphones, NOT wireless
Headphones NOT headsetg
Amp to look like amp not a toy
Amp to have two headphone jacks if possible.
Digital optical input,
Remote Control
Over the ear headphones

Budget for both $300 closer to $200 would be better.

For dolby surround amp, if I have to go with gaming one like the Turtle DSS2 which make/model would be the best for movies/tv?
Which bang for buck headphones for the dolby headphone amp setup?

I say no wireless because I have yet to use or own a wireless headphone that didn't have a whine, or other unnessary noises, and last longer than 12 months.  If I pay $100 or more for headphones I have to get 5+ years out of them.

All help is appreciated....

Just FYI, surround sound in headphones will never give you true surround sound, as no matter what you feed it, it will only have 2 drivers. However, some people have reported having some nice results with Dolby Headphone surround sound, so maybe go ask in the Dolby Headphone thread? I honestly can't tell you any more than that.

Quote:
HD558 or PRO700MK2 for all rounder headphones (music,games,movies)?

Definitely the HD558s. THe PRO700MK2s are quite bass-heavy.

Quote:
I thought I'd start here first before starting a new thread. 

I listen to j-pop/rock and k-pop and am looking for over the ear headphones for home use. I think I posted in this thread ages ago but I'm not sure exactly what I asked. Anyway since that post I had bought the Sennheiser Hd 558 (and other phones, see profile), and they really do not work for me. It feels like I'm analysing my music rather than enjoying it. Bass is weak and does not have any noteworthy impact.

For those that are unfamiliar with these genres, J/K-pop uses most synthesised sounds and usually have a lot of bass. They aren't bass heavy like RnB, but the bass is definitely there, at least I think anyway. My Idea of good bass is reverberating (but not loose) bass that you can feel in your skin, strong and deep impact (like a subwoofer), and deep rumbling lows, but the bass shouldn't be bloated or completely drown out everything else, although I understand it will to a degree.  

If I give you a few examples maybe you can tell me what I should be looking for.

Here are a few examples.

SNSD genie - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0kD138mk2g&feature=related

Super Junior Mr Simple - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6TwzSGYycM

Boystyle - Kokoro No chizu http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4MkFtHg6EA (not the best quality, just giving you an idea. This is probably more vocal orientated.).

Prague - Light Infection http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKAxgLHu2Eg (A example of a j-rock song)  

Headphones will also be used for watching anime and playing games as well but music is the priority and I can always use my TB for gaming if I need to.

After my research I've made a shortlist
DT770/80
ATH-M50 or pro 700?
Fischer Audio FA-011
DT990/250

Basically any headphones that are fun and capable of subwoofer like bass (I can always reduce the bass if I need to). I'm guessing Audio Technica would be the best suit for my genres, but they look very uncomfortable. I tried the WS55 in a shop and it was hurting my ears within 10 seconds.  

My budget is £130. If any one can suggest 2 headphones then I can order them both and compare them to see which one is best for me (then return the other one).

Please feel free to add/take anything away, and sorry for the long post. 

Maybe add the Ultrasone HFI580/780s. Do you have any particular preferences for form factor or amping? That will help eliminate some.

Quote:
Which one is better for some different rock genres(most alternative rock) and singer/songwriter like Tori Amos? Cant decide between the HD 600 or HD 650 and I cant test lisent to them:frowning2:

I'd say the 600, simply because of an increased treble presence. For more specific comparisons, look around for a thread or comparative review dedicated to the HD6XX series. 

Quote:
looking into $200-300 amped headphone, preferably closed. I'm trying to upgrade from M50s, and I'm thinking ATH-A900 because I want to try out higher end Audio Technicas. I'm still open to suggestions and to try different cans.

What kind of sound are you looking for? As in, what did you ike about the M50s and what didn't you like? I also have not heard a lot about the A- series, other than that they sound worse than the AD-series.

Quote:
I was looking into the v-moda headphones around $200 and was wondering which ones to buy... any suggestions for pop/ rap and hip hop... I like bass and am looking for a better alternative to beats solos

The obvious alternative to the beats is the M80s, but the LP2s have more bass. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back