++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 13, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #12,061 of 29,490

Quote:

The XB500s are definitely one-trick ponies, with a ton of bass emphasis. They probably won't sound all that great with Coldplay, or really anything where you don't want overpowering bass. They also might not work too well for gaming. For $150 you can do a lot better. Something like the M50s or HFI780/580s would seem to fit your bill quite well. Shures might be a bit too neutral for your tastes, if you were looking into the XB series. For $200 you could get something more portable like the HD25-1s or M80s.

So the Audio-Technica M50, Ultrasone HFI780 and HFI580?
Apparently the 780s are "too harsh"?? What about the Ultrasone DJ1 S-Logic Surround Sound Professional Headphones?? 
And NONE of the Shure sets would be suitable? just wondering because of their reputation..
BTW any thing about the V-MODA Crossfade LP headphones?? They look alright :p

Feb 13, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #12,062 of 29,490

I created a thread earlier but did not read the sticky regarding posting about buying headphones, so now I'm here, sorry!

I am posting here for a friend of mine who likes my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's, and is looking for a pair of cans for himself as he loves the clarity and the experience of having a nice pair of cans.

- Price range is ~£100 (a few cheaper options aswell would be cool)

- He does not produce music, so they don't have to be 'monitoring headphones', he will just be listening to a wide variety of music on them.

- Comfort is a big factor, as well as size/portability (the beyer's are too big, but most other full size ones should be fine)

- He would like something possibly a little bass-ier than my DT770's :)

- Preferrably around-ear

Cheers

Feb 13, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #12,063 of 29,490
Hi, i started a topic for advice and final decide is sony XB-700. But last think i wonder, is highs sounds bad with this one? Its ok if its avarege, can you inform me? Thanks.

Oh, one last thing, some guys talk about they cant read anything while listening with XB-700 (Because of bass). Does they over...(i dont know the world you get it), or is this serious?

Feb 13, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #12,064 of 29,490
Hi there,

I am looking to buy over the ear headphones, budget no more than 200 if possible. I listen to primarily electronic ...and would also like to start using these new headphones for mixing at some point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And of course, comfort for long-period use is important to me too.

Thanks so much!

Feb 13, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #12,065 of 29,490
Hey, I'm currently looking for a new set of head phones to replace the Sennheister HD497's that I've had for years.  They are a great set of head phones, and the use of my head phones will be varied.  I'll be using them for pc based FPS's and also for music listening.  I don't really need headache inducing base, what I look for the most is a crystal clear sound. Based on searches here, I was leaning towards the Q701's but I'm also curious about what kind of amp I should get to drive them. I did a few searches and it seams like there are many different opinions on the subject based on the type of sound you want. This will be my first forre into high quality head phones, so I'm not sure i know what kind of sound I'm looking for.  The music i listen to varies day in and day out, for instance, yesterday it was nonstop dubstep, today it is symphonic metal, and tomorrow it could be flamenco or bluegrass. I'm not too big into modern Rap or even the modern top 20 stuff like that LA Party Rock. I also listen to a bunch of Indie and Folk, or whatever. I guess I don't really shy away from any particular type of music other than mainstream country. 

I have around 700 to spend now, and probably another grand over the next month so buying things in pieces isn't a problem for me, as I learn to figure out what kind of sound I like. 

I'm curious if there would be a better choice of headphone than the AKG Q-701, and what amps, both desktop and portable, and DAC's would be a good pair. 

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #12,066 of 29,490

Quote:
The M50s aren't particularly neutral, but maybe look into the SRH840s or HM5s for that. Bassy, by definition, makes the headphone less neutral, so maybe the DT770s aren't for you. Are you looking for something to complement your 558s or a similar sound?

Thanks. Yeah, I love my Sennheisers, I have an older 500 series too. Instrumental music sounds terrific in them. I just don't like overrepresented bass.

How are the Beyerdynamic DT250s? Better or worse than the Shure SRH840s?

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #12,067 of 29,490

Quote:
Is there any better of a good quality bass headphone than the Atrio MG7 for $110?

So far my choices are:

Vsonic GR07
MTPC
JVC FXT90
Atrio MG7

Budgets is ~$200 and under.

For bass alone, I'd say the Atrios are the way to go.

Quote:

Hi all, I am looking for some new headphones and was wondering if anyone could help.

I currently have Bose AE2, but the wire frayed and it's still under warranty so I now will have roughly $180 store credit at Best Buy. What headphones would you recommend for this price? Should I just get the same Bose headphones?

I mainly listen to electronic music (house, french house, dutch house) and hip hop- so what would you recommend?

I also made a thread without seeing this one :facepalm: sorry all

Unfortunately, Best Buy doesn't carry a whole lot of good over-ears, so your selection is very limited. Online is a bit better, as they have some sennheisers, but not by a lot. Maybe check out the HD449s, HD380s, or maybe HD25s.

Quote:
Guys, I need some guidance in buying a pair of headphones and an amp.

I currently own a pair of Sennheiser CX500 in-ear phones and mostly listen to Erudite and Jazz music.

For some time now I've been really focusing on sound and recording quality (along with interpretation preference, of course), and I find that my CX500 connected directly to my laptop aren't enough anymore - especially because the cable broke and I had to hand solder it back together (which is always a source of EM interference).

I've been researching, and the HD650 seem to be really good - I wouldn't know, because I've never tried them and my only experience is with the CX500, which were godly after only knowing the stock Apple headphones.
I think I've pretty much decided to buy these.

Apparently, I also need an amp, and this is where you guys come in. I've been reading about the FiiO E17, how good it is and all that, but I've read many people saying they didn't think the E17 was enough for the whole HD650 experience even when coupled with the E9.
I don't know how critical the DAC is for a good sonic experience either.

I don't want to become insta-broke, so, with the HD650 at around 350€+, I guess I have to limit the amp price to about 150€, 200€ max.

The amp doesn't have to be portable, because it's not like I would use my HD650 on the street or anything. I'll pretty much just use them home while on the computer.

It'd be pretty hard to test anything, because it's finding stuff like this in my country is... well... I think I'll have to order online or something.

So what should I buy, guys? Anything other than Fiio? I really need serious quality (erudite-grade quality, not dubstep-grade quality), but can't spend too much. Is this even possible?

Thank you a lot!

Schiit Asgard?

Quote:

So the Audio-Technica M50, Ultrasone HFI780 and HFI580?
Apparently the 780s are "too harsh"?? What about the Ultrasone DJ1 S-Logic Surround Sound Professional Headphones?? 
And NONE of the Shure sets would be suitable? just wondering because of their reputation..
BTW any thing about the V-MODA Crossfade LP headphones?? They look alright :p

I don't know all that much about the Ultrasones, andd I haven't heard anything about them being harsh. The Shures probably won't have enough bass for your bass-heavy genres, though they're solid cans. The Crossfades look nice, but the originals are quite muddy, though i've heard the LP2s fix that a bit.

Quote:

I created a thread earlier but did not read the sticky regarding posting about buying headphones, so now I'm here, sorry!

I am posting here for a friend of mine who likes my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's, and is looking for a pair of cans for himself as he loves the clarity and the experience of having a nice pair of cans.

- Price range is ~£100 (a few cheaper options aswell would be cool)

- He does not produce music, so they don't have to be 'monitoring headphones', he will just be listening to a wide variety of music on them.

- Comfort is a big factor, as well as size/portability (the beyer's are too big, but most other full size ones should be fine)

- He would like something possibly a little bass-ier than my DT770's :)

- Preferrably around-ear

Cheers

See if you can get the Ultrasone HFI580/780s wherever you are, or M50s. On the cheaper side maybe look for the Creative Aurvana Lives or AKG K81s?

Quote:
Hi, i started a topic for advice and final decide is sony XB-700. But last think i wonder, is highs sounds bad with this one? Its ok if its avarege, can you inform me? Thanks.

Oh, one last thing, some guys talk about they cant read anything while listening with XB-700 (Because of bass). Does they over...(i dont know the world you get it), or is this serious?

I haven't heard the XB700s, but the highs on the XB500s get muffled a lot by the bass. I don't know anything about the reading, but I imagine it's not a huge problem if you're not listening at super high volumes.

Quote:
Hi there,

I am looking to buy over the ear headphones, budget no more than 200 if possible. I listen to primarily electronic ...and would also like to start using these new headphones for mixing at some point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And of course, comfort for long-period use is important to me too.

Thanks so much!

The HD25-1s and M80s spring to mind, though they're on-ear. For over-ear, maybe check out the HFI780s, M50s, or SRH840s.

Quote:
Hey, I'm currently looking for a new set of head phones to replace the Sennheister HD497's that I've had for years.  They are a great set of head phones, and the use of my head phones will be varied.  I'll be using them for pc based FPS's and also for music listening.  I don't really need headache inducing base, what I look for the most is a crystal clear sound. Based on searches here, I was leaning towards the Q701's but I'm also curious about what kind of amp I should get to drive them. I did a few searches and it seams like there are many different opinions on the subject based on the type of sound you want. This will be my first forre into high quality head phones, so I'm not sure i know what kind of sound I'm looking for.  The music i listen to varies day in and day out, for instance, yesterday it was nonstop dubstep, today it is symphonic metal, and tomorrow it could be flamenco or bluegrass. I'm not too big into modern Rap or even the modern top 20 stuff like that LA Party Rock. I also listen to a bunch of Indie and Folk, or whatever. I guess I don't really shy away from any particular type of music other than mainstream country. 

I have around 700 to spend now, and probably another grand over the next month so buying things in pieces isn't a problem for me, as I learn to figure out what kind of sound I like. 

I'm curious if there would be a better choice of headphone than the AKG Q-701, and what amps, both desktop and portable, and DAC's would be a good pair. 

It seems like you're considering their use as portables, and I have to say, open phones will generally be bad for use in public. For a wide range of music, I think the Q701s or HD598s would be good choices, though at your price range the LCD-2 might also be an option. I don't know enough about top-tiers to comment beyond that.

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #12,068 of 29,490

Hey everybody, I am looking to buy a good new pair of cans.

What I am looking for:
Over-ear, circumaural is preferred (the style of the Grado sr125i's work too, but not sure how much they leak)
Price range $400 or less
Not using an amp, so a can that sounds great without an amp
Good strong bass, but clean and not overpowering (beats are way overpowered bass)
I am going to be using them in public so leakage is not preferred, but I can deal with some
Comfortable so I can wear them for hours without ear fatigue
Not too experienced with this whole deal, so Im not sure what I want in terms of mids and highs, but as long as you can differentiate the notes well and hear the music clean and well sounding

What kind of music I listen to:
Pretty much everything: dance, hip hop, rap, rock, some alternative
(examples: Avicii, Linkin Park, Blink-182, Bruce Springsteen, Lupe Fiasco, Skrillex, Dispatch, Eminem, pretty much everything besides classical and country)

Headphones:
Denon D2000 - I have not tried these, but a lot of people have recommended these as they have good bass, but do they still maintain the quality of others with less bass
Shure SRH840 - I have not tried these, but people have recommended these as well, never tried shure...how are they?
Grado SR325is and 125i - I tried the 125s on and LOVED the quality of them, but I am not sure if they have enough bass as the sample music was not bass heavy...How is the bass on these or the 325s? and how is the leakage on the Grados? Also are the 325s on ear or over?
Sennheiser HD598 - I tried on the HD 280Pros and I liked them, but I am not sure the quality stood up to the Grados in my mind. The 280s are a lot lower tier than the 598s though, so that may make the difference that I heard.
Fischer FA-003/Brainwavz HM5 - these two were also recommended to me, but I do not know much about them.

Conclusion:
I am up for new suggestions if you think they fit my preferences better than the ones I mentioned, but I am really looking for the best all around performer in the areas I mentioned above. I listen to a lot of music, so it is hard to encompass all my likes into one headphone, but I hope you can help me narrow it down to one. I tried to supply all the information I could and I hope it is enough. 
 ​
Thanks in advance for your help.

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #12,069 of 29,490

I'll be fairly blunt here, list exactly what I want in descending order of importance. 

1. Extremely comfortable for extended use. I might go on a 24 marathon, and the headphones have to keep up!

2. Good noise isolation. I'm not too fussed about noise cancellation, but that would be a bonus (I expect I'll use these cans for flights)

3. Decent audio quality, of course. I don't want over-powered bass, I listen mainly to classical and heavy/death metal. I want to hear those symbols and guitar riffs! (Can't have the bass too light, as I said, I want to use it for films and TV too.)

4. Wireless (with no delay, as far as I know, Kleer 2.4GHz has no delay. Like on the Sennheiser RS170s.), however, with an optional 3.5mm port on the cans for use on planes/on-the-go.

As for price range, I'd rather stay on the lower side of $300/£200, and really don't care if there is a perfect one for £5. It's all about quality, not price. :)

From what I saw, the Sennheiser RS170s were all but perfect. I do need there to be the option to use it wired as well for plane journeys and on-the-go. (If I'm missing something, and it actually does, tell me soon and this is a very short thread!)

All help appreciated :)

If you could include my nickname "plastonick" in your response, it would be helpful so I can search answers!!

Feb 13, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #12,070 of 29,490
Quote:
Quote:
PulseCloud said:

Guys, I need some guidance in buying a pair of headphones and an amp.

I currently own a pair of Sennheiser CX500 in-ear phones and mostly listen to Erudite and Jazz music.

For some time now I've been really focusing on sound and recording quality (along with interpretation preference, of course), and I find that my CX500 connected directly to my laptop aren't enough anymore - especially because the cable broke and I had to hand solder it back together (which is always a source of EM interference).

I've been researching, and the HD650 seem to be really good - I wouldn't know, because I've never tried them and my only experience is with the CX500, which were godly after only knowing the stock Apple headphones.
I think I've pretty much decided to buy these.

Apparently, I also need an amp, and this is where you guys come in. I've been reading about the FiiO E17, how good it is and all that, but I've read many people saying they didn't think the E17 was enough for the whole HD650 experience even when coupled with the E9.
I don't know how critical the DAC is for a good sonic experience either.

I don't want to become insta-broke, so, with the HD650 at around 350€+, I guess I have to limit the amp price to about 150€, 200€ max.

The amp doesn't have to be portable, because it's not like I would use my HD650 on the street or anything. I'll pretty much just use them home while on the computer.

It'd be pretty hard to test anything, because it's finding stuff like this in my country is... well... I think I'll have to order online or something.

So what should I buy, guys? Anything other than Fiio? I really need serious quality (erudite-grade quality, not dubstep-grade quality), but can't spend too much. Is this even possible?

Thank you a lot!

Schiit Asgard?

Well, according to reviews that sounds like a great amp. A bit expensive with shipping added (57$!!!) - the total would be around 230€, and knowing that I would have to buy a decent DAC... oh boy, this is getting out of hand.
Assuming I would buy the Asgard, what DAC would you recommend? The NuForce Icon uDac-2? The HRT Music Streamer II? Another one?

How would the connections be, though? Computer --- USB ---> DAC --- ??? ---> Amp --- headphones' cable ---> Headphones  ?

Thanks.

Feb 13, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #12,071 of 29,490

Quote:
I don't know all that much about the Ultrasones, andd I haven't heard anything about them being harsh. The Shures probably won't have enough bass for your bass-heavy genres, though they're solid cans. The Crossfades look nice, but the originals are quite muddy, though i've heard the LP2s fix that a bit.

Okay, thank you a lot..
just another question, on ebay aus the Audio-technica PRO700MK2 is $179.95 compared to the M50s which is about $147.95
Is the PRO700MK2 MUCH better than the M50?
Also, i saw that the HFI780s are about $75 more expensive than the Ultrasone DJ 1 Headphones..whats the difference and is it worth the extra $75?
Cheers dude, Abz :D

Feb 13, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #12,072 of 29,490
Hello all, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to being an audiophile, so please help me.
happy_face1.gif
If you don't know how much of a newbie I am, let me just say that i own like 7 skullcandy products and is also getting a pair of ibeats. Now with that aside, I'm looking forward to buy a pair of cans for my ipod. My budget is $200 and my preferences are 50% hip-hop, 20% rock, 10% pop, 15% oldies, and 5% classical. Thanks in advance.
beyersmile.png

Feb 13, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #12,073 of 29,490

Quote:
It seems like you're considering their use as portables, and I have to say, open phones will generally be bad for use in public. For a wide range of music, I think the Q701s or HD598s would be good choices, though at your price range the LCD-2 might also be an option. I don't know enough about top-tiers to comment beyond that.

It isn't so much public, but at my desktop at home when I want to tune the wife out, and my office at work.

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #12,075 of 29,490

Quote:
The TMA's will probably work for bass-heavy genres, yeah

Within your budget the CAL's will work. The M50s might not be a 150% improvement, no.

Denon D2000/1100, HFI780, V-Moda LP2, etc.

The Senns will give you a much nicer soundstage, for sure, and when properly amped the technicals might be on par.

Denon D2000, HFI780, M50.

If you like the convenience of the Beats, you could give them a shot, but companies like V-Moda make equally functional cans, so maybe look there. Regarding IEMs, I think the top-tiers will sound better than the SE215, even unamped.

I have not heard of any build issues with any of those cans except the D2000s, while I have heard of a lot of issues with Beats

1) It depends on whether you like being able to feel the beat on bass-heavy tracks, or whether you listen for other stuff. Basically, it depends on what you listen to
2) Try the AKG website or Ebay, if Amazon doesn't have them
3) Should be fine
4) If it's quiet, others near you will probably hear, but no worse than someone using earbuds at a high volume.
5) the Prodipe Pros are probably a bit bassier, but the Senns might not be. the CAL!s might be more fun.

Hey, you are awesome haha, but i wonder if you forgot to type a recommendation for me or couldn't help me on that post hahaha, just wondering i think the original post its n page 793 thanks, or if anyone else could help me with that i'll appreciate that :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back