++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 15, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #12,136 of 29,490

Quote:
Which headphones under $250 retail have the best comfort and least sound leakage?

For comfort and no leakage, maybe the Brainwavz HM5? They're well under-budget though. Denon D2000 are at the high end of the price range and may leak a bit more. Any other preferences sound-wise?

Quote:
I am finally going to satisfy my itch for some higher end (higher than what I'm used to) quality headphones. As much as I love listening to music and as much as I love the natural high that I get from listening to music with good sound quality, my higher end pair of headphones are way overdue. I would like to know what you all feel may be the best headphones that I can get within the $100 to $300 dollar price range and why?

I mainly listen to music on my mp3 player and MacBook Pro and at times on my stereo. The main genre of music that I enjoy is Hip-Hop but I also listen to R&B, Pop, Jazz, Rock, and Latin music such as Salsa, Afro-Cuban, Merengue, and Bachata. Bass is important to me but it doesn't have to be super huge as long as it is good enough to make my Hip-Hop music sound good being that bass is so important in Hip-Hop. I definitely don't want weak bass. I would like to hear good detail, good separation, and just nice and overall good and enjoyable sound across the board of sonic categories. Now I know that I may be asking for too much (LOL) but basically I'm looking for something that comes as close to my ideal as possible even if it is not exactly my ideal. Closed, open, semi-open are all fine with me, though I might have a slight lean more towards semi-open since based on a comment I came across in a review I have the impression that it is the best of both worlds...

I've been doing my research and from my amateur perspective I think that the Philips Fidelio L1 or M1 would be a good fit for me. What do you think? Of course, I would need to listen to them and judge for myself first before I would actually purchase them so I'm not fully resolved to buy them yet.

I would really appreciate your feedback. Thanks

You're not going to get a whole lot of impressions or opinions on the Philips, as they're brand new, and I'm not even sure if they're available yet. From Jude's interview with them, the seem like they might be a good fit, but again, no one has really compared them to other competitors yet. 
Also, this is a question I seem to be asking everyone: Where/when are you going to be using them? That'll determine the degree of openness you'll want in your headphones, and narrow down the range of choices.

Quote:
hey guys
I mainly listen to rap/hip hop, and am looking for some over-the-ear headphones with lots of bass. I want to spend around $60 at the most. I heard the Sony mdr-xb500 headphones were very good for bass, but all the places that have them for a good price are sold out.

For pure bass, the XB500s are a nice choice. However, it does seem like they're being discontinued or something, as no one seems to have them in stock... maybe check here: http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/Sony-MDR-XB500-headphones/2337148.aspx?cm_mmc=ShoppingFeeds-_-GoogleBase-_-Sound/Multimedia-_-2337148_Sony%20MDR%20XB500%20-%20headphones_SOU-MDRXB500

Quote:
"Given your apparent tastes in headphone styles, I'd recommend something like the HD25-1s or the V-Moda M80s, which are both excellent portables, as well as kind of stylish. The Phiaton MS400s could work as well." would the hd558s or hd598s be suitable for my tastes as well?

I don't quite remember your requirements, but both the Senns are open, so you won't really want to use them outside or in public.

Quote:
Which headphones have better sound, less leakage, and more comfort? Sony  MDR-ZX700 or Sennheiser HD280PRO?

Comfort would go to the Sonys, Leakage to the Senns, and sound is probably a close call, though I'd give the edge to the Sonys.

Quote:

Hello guy
Im looking for new headphones in the budget 200-250$ i gonne buy the headphones online and ship it to my country.
I need the headphones for little bit of gaming and more for music(dubstep,rap,metal,house,dance).
I will use the headphones with my iphone and my computer g53(that have lame sound card)...Now im using Dr dre beats Tour(my top headphones) so its the first time i gonne buy something really good.
I saw the DT990 250ohm that look pretty good and the Fanny wang 2000(that have now 40% off)
I donnt really understand in headphones and Amp/sound cards so i will be very thankful if you will help me! Thank you
B.t.w, i will use my headphones in my room and little bit in the bus. 
(and i really sorry for my english) :)

I think we've already tried to answer your question. Is there anything else specifically that you're concerned about. BTW I don't think the Fanny Wangs will be your best option.

Quote:
After long break in Audiophiling need recommendations for friend.
Budget under 200$, he has slightly bassy taste. But music genres vary.
What headphones would Head-fi recommend?

HFI580 (bassier) or 780. Also the M50 could work. If he's open to on-ears, also the HD25-1s and M80s.

Quote:
Hi All,
My question has to do with the whole setup of a  headphone, DAC and amp ( I have also posted a thread for that), but regarding headphones, I would like some advice.
This will be my first full size headphone purchase. Previously I have owned the following: Sennheiser PX200, CX550, HD239 (after the PX200 broke down) and Shure SE425.
I use the HD239 primarily with my computer for watching movies and playing games, and for serious music listening with my Ipod Classic, I use the SE425.

All of my music is lossless, and 95% falls more or less in the following: Jazz, NuJazz, Electronic, Downtempo, with the remaining being Rock and Pop.
My music is stored in the iPod and my computer, hence a DAC with USB support would be best.
I did some basic research into understanding my current listening preferences and the kind of response I like:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=853&graphID[]=573&graphID[]=2741&graphID[]=1673

I don't particularly like the HD239/238, as the treble is too high for my taste and the bass is boomy. My preferred sound is neutral, therefore I like the SE425 best. I am looking for neutral and honest headphones, and if possible a matching DAC and amp.

Since this is my first purchase for basically the entire setup, my headphone budget is 5-700.

As for the DAC and Amp, I'm mostly interested in getting the best bang for the buck, and will draw the line where the returns start diminishing for the price. (For example, a $2k amp may not be twice as good as the $1k amp (which may or may not be twice as good as a $500 amp) ).
My experience has been mostly with Sennheiser but please feel free to suggest other headphones as well!

Q701/HD598/HD600/650 paired with an HRT Music Streamer and something like the Schiit Asgard could work. 

Quote:
Well I mostly listen to hip-hop/techno/dubstep/reggae so I definitely like a bassier sound. So between the M50's and the ultrasones 580/780 (as well as any better alternatives), which would you suggest?

The HFI580s will be the bassiest out of those, but might lag in terms of detail retrieval. Between the M0s and the 780s I don't know much except for the S-logic soundstage on the Ultrasones.

Quote:
hey guys, I'm looking at buying either the dba 02 or the gr07's. Could you guys tell me which is better.

1) I don't know where you're getting the DBA-02s, seeing as they're discontinued. THe Brainwavz B2 is the same thing, however. 
2) The GR07s have more bass, but are still quite neutral, whereas the DBAs will have a bit more microdetail.

Quote:

Thanks for all the help, based on the input I decided on the akg q701. The style was cool and it was a bit cheaper than I had expected :)
Would you happen to have any suggestions about peripherals for these guys? Specifically I need to find a good amp and dac, preferably for less than $100.
I'm not sure what kind of specs I'll need, but the PA2V2 seems to interest me. Would this be a decent amp?

The Fiio E10 springs to mind. 

Quote:
Hi all,
next month I may be getting some full size headphones..I looked at the comparisons and considering my budget,
the most I can squeeze is a pair of HD 600 (guess around $315s -Amazon)..so the budget's ceiling should be clear:)

usage: home ( in the office I usually use my iems- TF10, x10, Bw Betas or PX100)
Source: laptop/desktop-->Flacs&320s-->usb/coax-->Fiio E17--->???
Genres: jazz, classical, rock (have some some chillout and dub tracks too, but prefer to hear that heavy bass through speakers)
looking for: clarity, instrument separation and soundstage (if Im using the terminology properly)
considerations: AKG k/q701/702, HD600 (650 is in a far far galaxy)
From the reviews and experiences of the others, it seems that those headphones
require some amping so that they can reveal all they have...meanwhile the only one I can use is the one I have, namely the E17.
so its not only which HP meets my requirements, but also from which I can benefit at most
Which one would be a better option? (of course Im open to other brands and models)

tnx in advance.

From what I've read, it seems like your 2 best options will be the HD598s and Q701s, both of which can be comfortably driven by your E17. The HD598 is easier to drive, however, whereas the Q701 may be able to scale higher with better amping. Both seem to be good all-around cans.

Quote:
Hi All,

I have Grado SR80i and JDSLabs cmoybb amp.  Sounds wonderful.  However people on the train do not appreciate listen to my music as well.  I have the in-ear klipsch 4i.  They do not do anything with amp.  Can someone recommend a good over ear headphone that sounds great but is closed so no one else can hear what I hear.  Under $250 is what I was looking for.

Sincerely,
Larry

Are you ok with on-ear? Those will tend to be more portable and more convenient for use in public, while still retaining comparable sound quality. Anyway, your options in terms of over-ear will be anything from the M50s and HFI580/780s, which have a more v-shaped, fun sound, to the SRH840s and HM5s, which may be more neutral. For on-ear, there's the HD25-1 and the M80s, both of which have that fun sound and a very solid build quality. The on-ears also look better IMO, if that's a consideration. 

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #12,137 of 29,490

Since there are a lot of recommendations for the M50s and the HFI-780s on this thread I thought this might be useful for some, or so I hope. I received my M50s and 780s today and have been testing them out since I got them. This will hopefully just be brief a couple of highlights (probably not too many technical terms). Obviously neither has been burned in for a proper amount of time. I still haven't decided which I will keep, but I'm leaning toward the 780s. Both are about the same as far as isolation goes, without music you can hear some ambient noise, but they are about average for around ears in that department. In addition, the build quality on both is comparable and quite solid, shouldn't be a factor in your decision.

Audio Technica ATH-M50: Good sound, I understand why they are so popular. They are very upfront, much more so than the 780s and have a bit of a U or V shape sound, mids aren't recessed too much though. The bass is decent as are the highs. They are the more comfortable pair of the two as the pleather is a bit softer, however I plan on getting some Beyer DT250 pads for either one. They really are the kind of good-at-anything-good-value cans many people claim they are. I'd say they have more of a standard sound, if that makes any sense. They sound like a majority of headphones would, but have a decent $150 sound. In other words, nothing really stands out to me, but they are really quite capable.

Ultrasone HFI-780: Better sound stage, probably due to S-Logic. They have a very fun U sound to them. IMO, they sound more detailed. I'd say the bass is a bit less than the M50s maybe a touch punchier, especially the mid-bass, but definitely clearer. More detail in the highs as well, but can be a bit harsh at times, hopefully this will get better as they burn-in and certainly hasn't been terrible (I've read similar things). The sound is definitely more laid back than the M50s, which, surprisingly, I kind of like. I've never had a pair of headphones with a laid back sound and I quite like it actually. The laid back sound compliments my TF10s quite well as those are my main travel companion and these are mostly for home use. As I said the M50s are more comfortable and some people complain about this on the 780s, but for me it wasn't enough to make a real difference. My opinion might change after I've used them for longer than an hour or two and at a time.

I understand the appeal of both sets and personally I have to think the HFI-780s are the better set of cans. The detail is just better across the spectrum for me and I like the laid back sound. The M50s however still sound great and I think both are great value for around the $150 I paid for each. I also struggled with whether to try to HFI-580s or the 780s and basically heard the 780s were more detailed, but had less bass. They have plenty of bass for my tastes. I don't know if the 780s would satisfy bassheads, I've read some that liked the 580s more for that.

I'm not much of an audiophile and am no sort of authority on this kind of stuff (at all...), but these are my initial impressions. At the very least it helps someone in here deciding between these or similar cans. Btw, I listen to about 40% Hip Hop, 35% Rock with the last 25% split between R&B/Soul, Country or Classical. Also, if you can find the Limited Edition Silver M50s, they are better looking than the black IMO (with the exact same sound), I had found them about the same price, but the return policy wasn't as good as B&H for my needs. Audio Technica is also coming out with them in all white in March, they look pretty dope (technical term) especially if you are really into the style of your phones as well. Again, please realize neither of these have been burned in very much and the sound on both will probably change, be more refined and tighten up in places after this process. It is hard to really make a definitive judgement yet and take everything I say with a bit of a grain of salt, but these are just some of my initial thoughts.

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #12,138 of 29,490
I am tempted to get a bang-for-the-bucks headphone just to see how it sounds.  Been thinking about Creative Aurvana Live or the Monoprice/Kicker cans.
Do they provide anything (sound signature, usage, etc) different from the collection I already have (HARX700, XB700, HD555, Klipsch Image One, Maxell DHP-II)?
Thanks

Feb 15, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #12,139 of 29,490

Quote:

Again, the decision on the grados will probably come down to whether you're going to be using them in public or not. However, given your issues with treble, I think you might be safer going with the Ultrasones, which might also complement your existing cans better.

Hey, sorry for the late response.
I forgot about this thread and I've been busy.

I've sorta dropped the Ultrasones to be honest, I've heard mixed things from them and mostly not good.
Haven't dropped the SR80i completely but I've lost interest in them too.

Now I'm looking at the Sennheiser HD598 and the Shure SRH840.
Are those any good?
Also for the music I'm into as well.

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #12,140 of 29,490

Quote:

Since there are a lot of recommendations for the M50s and the HFI-780s on this thread I thought this might be useful for some, or so I hope. I received my M50s and 780s today and have been testing them out since I got them. This will hopefully just be brief a couple of highlights (probably not too many technical terms). Obviously neither has been burned in for a proper amount of time. I still haven't decided which I will keep, but I'm leaning toward the 780s. Both are about the same as far as isolation goes, without music you can hear some ambient noise, but they are about average for around ears in that department. In addition, the build quality on both is comparable and quite solid, shouldn't be a factor in your decision.

Audio Technica ATH-M50: Good sound, I understand why they are so popular. They are very upfront, much more so than the 780s and have a bit of a U or V shape sound, mids aren't recessed too much though. The bass is decent as are the highs. They are the more comfortable pair of the two as the pleather is a bit softer, however I plan on getting some Beyer DT250 pads for either one. They really are the kind of good-at-anything-good-value cans many people claim they are. I'd say they have more of a standard sound, if that makes any sense. They sound like a majority of headphones would, but have a decent $150 sound. In other words, nothing really stands out to me, but they are really quite capable.

Ultrasone HFI-780: Better sound stage, probably due to S-Logic. They have a very fun U sound to them. IMO, they sound more detailed. I'd say the bass is a bit less than the M50s maybe a touch punchier, especially the mid-bass, but definitely clearer. More detail in the highs as well, but can be a bit harsh at times, hopefully this will get better as they burn-in and certainly hasn't been terrible (I've read similar things). The sound is definitely more laid back than the M50s, which, surprisingly, I kind of like. I've never had a pair of headphones with a laid back sound and I quite like it actually. The laid back sound compliments my TF10s quite well as those are my main travel companion and these are mostly for home use. As I said the M50s are more comfortable and some people complain about this on the 780s, but for me it wasn't enough to make a real difference. My opinion might change after I've used them for longer than an hour or two and at a time.

I understand the appeal of both sets and personally I have to think the HFI-780s are the better set of cans. The detail is just better across the spectrum for me and I like the laid back sound. The M50s however still sound great and I think both are great value for around the $150 I paid for each. I also struggled with whether to try to HFI-580s or the 780s and basically heard the 780s were more detailed, but had less bass. They have plenty of bass for my tastes. I don't know if the 780s would satisfy bassheads, I've read some that liked the 580s more for that.

I'm not much of an audiophile and am no sort of authority on this kind of stuff (at all...), but these are my initial impressions. At the very least it helps someone in here deciding between these or similar cans. Btw, I listen to about 40% Hip Hop, 35% Rock with the last 25% split between R&B/Soul, Country or Classical. Also, if you can find the Limited Edition Silver M50s, they are better looking than the black IMO (with the exact same sound), I had found them about the same price, but the return policy wasn't as good as B&H for my needs. Audio Technica is also coming out with them in all white in March, they look pretty dope (technical term) especially if you are really into the style of your phones as well. Again, please realize neither of these have been burned in very much and the sound on both will probably change, be more refined and tighten up in places after this process. It is hard to really make a definitive judgement yet and take everything I say with a bit of a grain of salt, but these are just some of my initial thoughts.

Really nice comparison! Maybe you can post this as its own thread, so more people with similar questions can refer to it.

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #12,142 of 29,490
Is the logitech g35 better than the ad700s for gaming?

When paired with a xonar essence stx

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #12,143 of 29,490

Quote:
Is the logitech g35 better than the ad700s for gaming?

When paired with a xonar essence stx

G35 is an USB based headphone. If you have no sound card, G35 is pretty awesome(blah blah blah, gaming headphone sounds suck). But since you have a xonar, might as well get a the multi-use ad700. 

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #12,144 of 29,490
I very much prefer sound quality over whether or not the person next to me will enjoy my music. My music consists of 50% hip-hop, 20% rock, 10% pop, 15% oldies, and 5% classical.>

Lack of isolation goes both ways. When you are out in public, ambient noise really degrades sound quality for you as well. Even the best open headphones sound awful ln public transit.

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #12,147 of 29,490
Music: Metal, Heavy Metal, Industrial Metal (Sybreed type stuff), Classic Rock (Pink Floyd Stuff), Dubstep, Trance, Nightcore.

Budget: $1,000 USD

Was looking at the Denon AH-D700 or Audio Technica ATH-W1000X.
Also considered the Sennheiser HD700's, but it sounds like the bass is no better than the AKG's I have.
Headphones I have now are in my Signature, mostly looking for some more bass for the Dubstep, Trance, and games like BF3. When I say bass I am talking about bass with punch behind it. The reviews I read on the Denon's seemed to fit that description the best.
I use my Grados for the Metal, and the AKG's for the Classic Rock, and the little Rap I listen to.

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #12,148 of 29,490
Should I buy the
"Monster Turbine Pro Copper Professional In-Ear Speakers" ?
http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=5734

Are they really as good as their reviews? I want to buy a great in ear headphones, but so confused, please help!

I listen mainly to Neoclassical Darkwave music, and some hiphop.

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #12,149 of 29,490
Well this is clearly not the right place to ask this, but I didn't think making a new thread would be the right thing either so I'll just ask here. I always se people on head-fi talking about the quality of the music you're listening too. As far as I understand FLAC is a lossless type that is what you want. I've been downloading all my music off iTunes and wanted to know what the quality is like on those. And if it is not preferred, where can I get high quality music files for my iPod. I don't want to delve into high end headphones if my music isn't the proper quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back