++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Feb 14, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #12,121 of 29,490
"Given your apparent tastes in headphone styles, I'd recommend something like the HD25-1s or the V-Moda M80s, which are both excellent portables, as well as kind of stylish. The Phiaton MS400s could work as well." would the hd558s or hd598s be suitable for my tastes as well?

Quote:
To be honest, your requirements are pretty strict, and you've only got a few choices. The closest I can think of is the Senn PX360BT (http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PX-360-BT-Collapsible/dp/B003V9RWGW/ref=pd_cp_e_0), but it's bluetooth, and I'm not sure if that has a delay or not It can also be used wired, however, which does fit that req. Something like the Senn RS series will not work, because AFAIK, they're all open. I also don't know if there's any headphones that will be comfortable for 24 hours straight.

Honestly, I don't know a whole lot about amps and DACs, so you might be better off asking in the dac/amp forum. However, I know Fiio makes some good budget DACs, and the ones you mentioned have also gotten rave reviews.

The short answer is no. The Pro700 is mostly bassier than the M50s, so if you don't want that, I'd stick with the M50s. Also, i don't know where you live or where you're getting your headphones, but on Amazon (US), the 780s are only like $151, which is the same or less than the DJ1Pros.

Probably the 600, as it's supposed to have a bit more treble presence.

Given your apparent tastes in headphone styles, I'd recommend something like the HD25-1s or the V-Moda M80s, which are both excellent portables, as well as kind of stylish. The Phiaton MS400s could work as well.

If you're trying to tune someone out or use them at work, I think closed cans will work better. 

Try the Koss DJ100 and the Creative Aurvana Lives. Closed cans in general leak very little sound, so there shouldn't be much of a problem. 

Sorry, I must have missed it. Can you repost it?

Just FYI, surround sound in headphones will never give you true surround sound, as no matter what you feed it, it will only have 2 drivers. However, some people have reported having some nice results with Dolby Headphone surround sound, so maybe go ask in the Dolby Headphone thread? I honestly can't tell you any more than that.

Definitely the HD558s. THe PRO700MK2s are quite bass-heavy.

Maybe add the Ultrasone HFI580/780s. Do you have any particular preferences for form factor or amping? That will help eliminate some.

I'd say the 600, simply because of an increased treble presence. For more specific comparisons, look around for a thread or comparative review dedicated to the HD6XX series. 

What kind of sound are you looking for? As in, what did you ike about the M50s and what didn't you like? I also have not heard a lot about the A- series, other than that they sound worse than the AD-series.

The obvious alternative to the beats is the M80s, but the LP2s have more bass. 

Feb 14, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #12,124 of 29,490

Hello guy
Im looking for new headphones in the budget 200-250$ i gonne buy the headphones online and ship it to my country.
I need the headphones for little bit of gaming and more for music(dubstep,rap,metal,house,dance).
I will use the headphones with my iphone and my computer g53(that have lame sound card)...Now im using Dr dre beats Tour(my top headphones) so its the first time i gonne buy something really good.
I saw the DT990 250ohm that look pretty good and the Fanny wang 2000(that have now 40% off)
I donnt really understand in headphones and Amp/sound cards so i will be very thankful if you will help me! Thank you
B.t.w, i will use my headphones in my room and little bit in the bus. 
(and i really sorry for my english) :)

Feb 15, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #12,126 of 29,490

Quote:
After long break in Audiophiling need recommendations for friend.
Budget under 200$, he has slightly bassy taste. But music genres vary.
What headphones would Head-fi recommend?

The Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO is a good choice, as is the Ultrasone HFI-780.  The first is easier to find new within that budget.

Feb 15, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #12,127 of 29,490
Hi All,
My question has to do with the whole setup of a  headphone, DAC and amp ( I have also posted a thread for that), but regarding headphones, I would like some advice.
This will be my first full size headphone purchase. Previously I have owned the following: Sennheiser PX200, CX550, HD239 (after the PX200 broke down) and Shure SE425.
I use the HD239 primarily with my computer for watching movies and playing games, and for serious music listening with my Ipod Classic, I use the SE425.

All of my music is lossless, and 95% falls more or less in the following: Jazz, NuJazz, Electronic, Downtempo, with the remaining being Rock and Pop.
My music is stored in the iPod and my computer, hence a DAC with USB support would be best.
I did some basic research into understanding my current listening preferences and the kind of response I like:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=853&graphID[]=573&graphID[]=2741&graphID[]=1673

I don't particularly like the HD239/238, as the treble is too high for my taste and the bass is boomy. My preferred sound is neutral, therefore I like the SE425 best. I am looking for neutral and honest headphones, and if possible a matching DAC and amp.

Since this is my first purchase for basically the entire setup, my headphone budget is 5-700.

As for the DAC and Amp, I'm mostly interested in getting the best bang for the buck, and will draw the line where the returns start diminishing for the price. (For example, a $2k amp may not be twice as good as the $1k amp (which may or may not be twice as good as a $500 amp) ).
My experience has been mostly with Sennheiser but please feel free to suggest other headphones as well!

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #12,128 of 29,490
The M50s and ultrasones are the best contenders out of your choices. However, we could add more based on what kind of music you listen to and/or what sound you like. The above cans are a bit v-shaped, whereas something like the SRH840s would be more neutral.

Well I mostly listen to hip-hop/techno/dubstep/reggae so I definitely like a bassier sound. So between the M50's and the ultrasones 580/780 (as well as any better alternatives), which would you suggest?

Feb 15, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #12,129 of 29,490
So looking to get the Beyer DT880's as I have been told they are good all rounders and don't require an amp.
My question is (albeit subjective) will I be dissapointed?

At the moment I have some Brainwavz M3's (~$100 IE's) and Audioengine A5's (Powered monitors) which both come highly recommended.

I was really impressed with the IE's but even after a new soundcard (~$100) and getting strict on 320kb's mp3s, I really didn't see the step up between normal logitech speakers to good monitors.

Perhaps a decent set of closed headphones is the answer?
Otherwise I have to fork out $1k+ for a decent non powered speaker + amp set up and I can't see that happening anytime soon... 

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #12,130 of 29,490

Quote:

Open will generally provide better soundstage, but aren't suited for use in public.

Thanks for all the help, based on the input I decided on the akg q701. The style was cool and it was a bit cheaper than I had expected :)
Would you happen to have any suggestions about peripherals for these guys? Specifically I need to find a good amp and dac, preferably for less than $100.
I'm not sure what kind of specs I'll need, but the PA2V2 seems to interest me. Would this be a decent amp?

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #12,131 of 29,490
After some further reading, I've decided to go with the HD598s~ Thanks for the advice :D

Quote:
If you're using it exclusively at home and are looking for soundstage, I'd normally recommend a pair of open cans, as they tend to perform better in that regard. As long as you don' listen too long, and as long as your roomates aren't too picky, the leakage shouldn't be too much of a problem, especially if you're listening in your own room. That being said, your budget could get you either the Sennheiser HD598 or AKG Q701 paired with a Fiio E10, which makes for a nice all-around setup that you can easily upgrade later. They'll work for you as long as you aren't looking for overwhelming amounts of bass. For that, maybe check out the Denon D2000s.  

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #12,132 of 29,490
Hi all,
next month I may be getting some full size headphones..I looked at the comparisons and considering my budget,
the most I can squeeze is a pair of HD 600 (guess around $315s -Amazon)..so the budget's ceiling should be clear:)

usage: home ( in the office I usually use my iems- TF10, x10, Bw Betas or PX100)
Source: laptop/desktop-->Flacs&320s-->usb/coax-->Fiio E17--->???
Genres: jazz, classical, rock (have some some chillout and dub tracks too, but prefer to hear that heavy bass through speakers)
looking for: clarity, instrument separation and soundstage (if Im using the terminology properly)
considerations: AKG k/q701/702, HD600 (650 is in a far far galaxy)
From the reviews and experiences of the others, it seems that those headphones
require some amping so that they can reveal all they have...meanwhile the only one I can use is the one I have, namely the E17.
so its not only which HP meets my requirements, but also from which I can benefit at most
Which one would be a better option? (of course Im open to other brands and models)

tnx in advance.

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #12,133 of 29,490
Hi All,

I have Grado SR80i and JDSLabs cmoybb amp.  Sounds wonderful.  However people on the train do not appreciate listen to my music as well.  I have the in-ear klipsch 4i.  They do not do anything with amp.  Can someone recommend a good over ear headphone that sounds great but is closed so no one else can hear what I hear.  Under $250 is what I was looking for.

Sincerely,
Larry

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #12,134 of 29,490
Hi All,

I have Grado SR80i and Cmoybb amp.  To me it sounds wonderful.  However not everyone on the train appreciates hearing my music as well.  I need a headphone under $250 that will work well with the amp that others cannot hear.  I have the in ear klipsch 4.  They sound ok for the money but do nothing with the amp.

Sincerely,
Larry

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #12,135 of 29,490

Quote:
After long break in Audiophiling need recommendations for friend.
Budget under 200$, he has slightly bassy taste. But music genres vary.
What headphones would Head-fi recommend?

What does he have to drive them? I would say the Ultrasone HFI-780's are an amazing value at $151.00 new from Amazon they have plenty of good quality bass but only if the track has it so it doesn't ruin music that has little to no bass. The positive side is they are relatively easy to drive so I can get them sounding "OK" from my Sansa Clip + they sound great from my Receiver at home and I just received my Audinst HUD-MX1 Dac/Amp so I can't wait to try them out tonight with it. I currently am in love with the Ultrasone sound. It makes me smile just listening to music on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back