Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Mar 24, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #5,417 of 12,087
  Hey, so the driver is bio cellulose? How's the durability on that? I live in a moist climate and I'm not to sure about keeping organics here. Any educated thoughts? You leave leather unattended long enough around here and it'll get a fungus.

There has been several versions of bio-cellulose in history, some of them did be vulnerable to fungus and rotting.
Hard to say, I don't remember seeing a concrete evidence pointed out which kind of bio-cellulose Fostex is currently employing, and how the durability they are like (to get a conclusion on that will be impossible for individuals anyway as the whole matter contains countless environmental variables). The best we can do probably is to keep them away from moisture as possible as we can, like how we should treat most electronics.

I live in an island and the recent rapidly drastic change in temperature is making my house literally drenched. I am also quite worried.

Quote:
Biocellulose is made from bateria, FOSTEX bio dyna is hybrid biocell with synthetic microfibers, less degrading/rotting.

https://www.belmondobeauty.com/sheet-masks/view/what-is-bio-cellulose
What is Bio Cellulose

Bio cellulose (or microbial cellulose) is a natural fiber with a diameter of only 20 nanometers – 1000 times thinner than human hair. This superfine fiber is an eco-friendly, biodegradable alternative to fibers produced through commercial manufacturing processes.

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/TH-900.shtml
*"Biodyna diaphragm is made by Bio-cellulose fiber featuring low specific gravity, high Yang's modulus and high internal loss at the same time to achieve 2 times high propagation velocity and 5 times high rigidity against the conventional plastic film based driver unit.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595683/fostex-th900-impressions-discussion-thread
->Headphone drivers:

Magnetic circuit: Magnetic repulsion system. The magnetic repulsion system gives the TH900 high sensitivity with wide dynamic

Diaphragm: BIODYNA. Fostex developed the diaphragm "BIODYNA" for headphone application by using bio-techology. BIODYNA diaphragm is made by bio-cellulose and high performance inorganic fiber admixture. The bio-cellulose is generated by acetobacter. It has extremely fine fiber and high purity compared to the plant fibre cellulose. As a result, use of [the] BIODYNA diaphragm achieves the high quality sound maintaining good balance within all frequency bands. It also gives [the] advantage of sound resolution at high frequencies.

CD3000's FULL BIOCELLULOSE rotting:

CD3000:
900x900px-LL-5ff1c930_SonyMDR-CD3000driver.jpeg

CD3000:
61026b76_SonyMDR-CD3000driver.jpeg

SA5000 Improved FULL synthetic nanocomposite:
40de31a1_SonySA5000driver.jpeg

FOSTEX Hybrid biocellulose with synthetic microfiber, less rotting than full biocell:
900x900px-LL-78699953_98511f96_098e039c_Denondriver200050007000-1.jpeg

Mar 24, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #5,419 of 12,087
just want to post i'm a proud to be one, but so fast they come up with the purple. i'm little upset.

Mar 24, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #5,423 of 12,087
Will the new taro version still come with the 10-foot cable that's also good for repelling down small buildings and cliffs?

Mar 24, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #5,424 of 12,087
*******, now I'm in a dilemma. Might have to go with both... F%#$ you, Will :)

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #5,427 of 12,087
Ok so sub bass is +2db.  That's pretty self explanitory.

But lower mid range is decreased by -5db? That seems like a big change.

upper mid range -2db but highs and super are more emphasized - this would be an interesting change to listen to.

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #5,428 of 12,087
Ok so sub bass is +2db.  That's pretty self explanitory.

But lower mid range is decreased by 5 db? That seems like a big change.

upper mid range -2db but highs and super are more emphasized - this would be an interesting change to listen to.

The large tweak in the lower mids is probably due to a decent amount of people complaining about bass bleed as well as the bass seeming a bit too bloomy

Mar 24, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #5,430 of 12,087
I'm probably going to get these...

I still have my TH-600 and got the TH-X00 for the mahagony cups and the tweaks to the sound sig. The purpleheart cups look good but it seems the new sound sig is moving a few steps closer to the original TH-600.

I really don't need a third version of this headphone but I'll probably jump on this. And then later on get the fourth version TH-610.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back