Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Mar 22, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #5,389 of 12,087
How would these headphones be if I like a slightly north of neutral bass, neutral/slightly upfront mids and sparkly, extended treble that are also forgiving of lesser recordings?

I'm doubting between these, the Alpha Primes and the HE-400i

Mar 22, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #5,390 of 12,087
  How would these headphones be if I like a slightly north of neutral bass, neutral/slightly upfront mids and sparkly, extended treble that are also forgiving of lesser recordings?

I'm doubting between these, the Alpha Primes and the HE-400i

IMO the TH-X00 is much more north of neutral bass, theyre a nice bassy headphone.  Warm/north of neutral to me would be the PM3s or HE-400i...neutral would be the HD800, and the MSR7 would be on the lean side.

The HE-X would be a touch more warm/bassy than the PM3/400i from what i remember. 

In terms of bass impact i would rate my experience as
UE6000 >> TH-X00 >> HE-X > HE-400i > PM-3 > MSR7 > HD800 >>> NVX PT100

(HD800 is by no means a slouch when it comes to bass, they are natural sounding)

For bass quality:
HE-X > HD800 > HE400i >> TH-X00 >> PM3 >> MSR7 >>>>> UE6000 >> NVX PT100

Each > is how much better it is than its neighbour, if that makes any sense

I really really hated the NVX Audio PT100 hahah

Mar 22, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #5,391 of 12,087
  Anyone could compare the TH-X00s to the Nighthawks please?

I am not sure if anyone has answered this question. I don't come here everyday and read all the posts.

I did have the opportunity to audition the Nighthawk for about 5 days when it was on a tour. But it has been a few months so I can only comment based on memory.

The Nighthawk is a very warm set of headphones. The soundstage, bass, and mids are their strength. The treble rolls off a little early. The sound signature is similar to HD650 but with more prominent bass impact. The resolution, imaging, and layers were all excellent in my opinion. They are built with high quality materials and are very comfortable to wear. Although they don't isolate at all. The sound would leak like crazy. Also I think they are over-priced.

I do like Nighthawk and I think Nighthawk and TH-x00 are in the same level in terms of sound quality. I only wish if Nighthawks are priced similarly as well.

Mar 22, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #5,392 of 12,087

I am not sure if anyone has answered this question. I don't come here everyday and read all the posts.

I did have the opportunity to audition the Nighthawk for about 5 days when it was on a tour. But it has been a few months so I can only comment based on memory.

The Nighthawk is a very warm set of headphones. The soundstage, bass, and mids are their strength. The treble rolls off a little early. The sound signature is similar to HD650 but with more prominent bass impact. The resolution, imaging, and layers were all excellent in my opinion. They are built with high quality materials and are very comfortable to wear. Although they don't isolate at all. The sound would leak like crazy. Also I think they are over-priced.

I do like Nighthawk and I think Nighthawk and TH-x00 are in the same level in terms of sound quality. I only wish if Nighthawks are priced similarly as well.

Thanks. My X00s are coming at the beginning of May with the second drop.
But I couldn't say no for a second hand Nighthawk for £275 in the meantime.
For £499 they are definitely overpriced.
I really like my X2s with Mojo, and I can't wait to try Nighthawk and X00s.
 I will keep only one of Nighthawk and X00s, and I have got a feeling it is going to be X00s. But I must hear all of them by myself. I just can't believe to reviews and comments anymore.

Mar 22, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #5,393 of 12,087

I will keep only one of Nighthawk and X00s, and I have got a feeling it is going to be X00s. But I must hear all of them by myself. I just can't believe to reviews and comments anymore.

I had the same situation. Really liked the Nighthawks, but ended up keeping the X00's.

Mar 22, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #5,394 of 12,087

Wow, nice choice. I will try nighthawk if I found it cheap :)

Seems I bought TH-600. It is gonna be different sound signature. I sometimes love darker headphones but yeap tomorrow is the day I got Mojo and this Saturday is TH-600. :wink:

Mar 23, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #5,396 of 12,087

Chord Mojo. The most hyped DAC since last Christmas. Using innovative technology, and bringing sound quality of £1-2000 DACs for £400. I suggest you to read some of the Mojo thread here on head-fi.

I have the bigger Chord Hugo at home for my desktop setup. The Hugo / TH900 combo is magic in my opinion. I often read about people complaining the TH900 being too harsh and too bass heavy but using the Hugo as DAC and amp driving the TH900 directly, it's nothing like that. I mainly listen to classical music and the TH900/Hugo combination is just reference quality. The TH-X00 is slightly less bright than the TH900 but I wouldn't call the TH900 harsh when properly matched with DAC/amp. I sold the ATH-W3000ANV after getting the TH900 because I felt it to be a bit less transparent on top. At $400, TH-X00 is probably the best deal ever, everything just sound so right out of the box and it's easier to match source components and amps than the TH900. I often use my Lotoo PAW Gold and HiFiMAN HM901s to drive the TH-X00 and love the sound from both. 

If the Chord Mojo sounds close to the Hugo I think it's hell of a bargain at its price.

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #5,397 of 12,087
Originally Posted by innaterebel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow, months back a few people were trying to find these rings but nobody got an idea, now they pop up like they have always been there.
Quoting the pals in the hope of helping them know.

Thank you so much! I'm buying them right now so I can do easy swaps on the stock pads and Alpha pads. I haven't listened to the stock pads in a few months so I'm looking forward to the easy comparison when I can have two separate mounting rings.

EDIT: I also bought a Chord Mojo yesterday along with a mini-coax cable with 2-prong plug for the Mojo side and 4-prong plug for the 2nd gen Fiio X3. (god knows why they would use an unconventional plug?)

Mar 23, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #5,400 of 12,087

IMO the TH-X00 is much more north of neutral bass, theyre a nice bassy headphone.  Warm/north of neutral to me would be the PM3s or HE-400i...neutral would be the HD800, and the MSR7 would be on the lean side.

The HE-X would be a touch more warm/bassy than the PM3/400i from what i remember. 

In terms of bass impact i would rate my experience as
UE6000 >> TH-X00 >> HE-X > HE-400i > PM-3 > MSR7 > HD800 >>> NVX PT100

(HD800 is by no means a slouch when it comes to bass, they are natural sounding)

For bass quality:
HE-X > HD800 > HE400i >> TH-X00 >> PM3 >> MSR7 >>>>> UE6000 >> NVX PT100

Each > is how much better it is than its neighbour, if that makes any sense

I really really hated the NVX Audio PT100 hahah

I think the UE6000 has louder bass, but it cant hit the sub - frequencies as good as TH-X00. I am sure the Th-X00 will be louder than the UE6000, in the 40hz - below region. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back