Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Mar 19, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #5,371 of 12,087

That sudden spending streak tho. Hope you will finally be satisfied with that combo, your wallet must hate you so much lol

Because I hate constantly spending $150-300 and the result is always no no...

I learn from the lesson. Like i build my rig, i go straight gtx980ti without doubt and then I have no issue to spend more. It is like, "ok, my life is complete".

constantly spending $150-300 would be more expensive and waste a lot of times.

I rather invest once and enjoy for the rest of my life. :)

but Mojo, i will next month or next two month. Th900 should be this week :wink:

Mar 20, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #5,373 of 12,087
  Because I hate constantly spending $150-300 and the result is always no no...

I learn from the lesson. Like i build my rig, i go straight gtx980ti without doubt and then I have no issue to spend more. It is like, "ok, my life is complete".

constantly spending $150-300 would be more expensive and waste a lot of times.

I rather invest once and enjoy for the rest of my life. :)

but Mojo, i will next month or next two month. Th900 should be this week :wink:

Yeah, but tbh, I think you're really rushing into things too quickly. I own the TH900 as well, and I'm 95% sure it won't satisfy you regardless of what you pair it with based on your impressions so far. I would suggest you do more research first but you pull the trigger on cans really quickly

Mar 20, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #5,374 of 12,087
Yeah, but tbh, I think you're really rushing into things too quickly. I own the TH900 as well, and I'm 95% sure it won't satisfy you regardless of what you pair it with based on your impressions so far. I would suggest you do more research first but you pull the trigger on cans really quickly

Why u said 95% sure that i wont satisfy with th900? :O

Mar 20, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #5,375 of 12,087
Guys, is it worth it to buy th900 for now? My x00 will arrive this May. I can just sell it if i love th900 more.

I scare that th900 expensive is because of the material used.

Note that, i love bass but appreciate both mids and highs also. And I hate sibilant highs. I also love a bigger soundstage since im used to X2.

Any recommendations?

For one, didn't you say you hate sibilant highs?
Although perception varies from person to person, it is very adventurous for people who tries avoiding sibilant to buy TH900 without auditioning, of which the likely piercing high is its biggest complaint.

Mar 20, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #5,376 of 12,087

1. You said pro900 is too sibilant. The TH900 is also very harsh which is its biggest complaint. The above poster mentioned that already.

2. You crave a lot of bass. It the X2 is considered neutral to your ears, the TH900 probably won't have enough of bass for you.

TH900 is more sub-bassy than mid-bassy, and the X2 is mid-bassy and has a big sub-bass roll-off. You are looking for the punch since you mentioned you listen to EDM.

EDM is mostly mid-bassy, and the TH900 probably won't give enough of punch for you. It is definitely enough for me as I hate bass bleed, but I doubt it would do it for you honestly. It will give you the thump and rumble when called for, but not the punch and kick you seem to desire. You seem to need a lot of quantity, and I don't think the TH900 will give you enough of it.

Also, the TH900 is quite V-shaped. Mids are notably recessed, but probably not as much as the pro900, though I can't be sure since I've not heard the Ultrasone.

Again, I need to emphasize the highs. They are very harsh and sibilant, and I can only listen to it for longer than an hour if I pair it with a very warm amp like the Polaris. EDM also has a lot of sharp highs, and my ears feel like they are being attacked by sharp needles with the TH900.

With all that being said, don't worry about it now since you already bought it. There's still the chance it might be for you, since you'll never know until you try it I guess.

Mar 20, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #5,377 of 12,087

For one, didn't you say you hate sibilant highs?
Although perception varies from person to person, it is very adventurous for people who tries avoiding sibilant to buy TH900 without auditioning, of which the likely piercing high is its biggest complaint.

have u tried Pro900? can u compare the highs between Th900? 

1. You said pro900 is too sibilant. The TH900 is also very harsh which is its biggest complaint. The above poster mentioned that already.

2. You crave a lot of bass. It the X2 is considered neutral to your ears, the TH900 probably won't have enough of bass for you.

TH900 is more sub-bassy than mid-bassy, and the X2 is mid-bassy and has a big sub-bass roll-off. You are looking for the punch since you mentioned you listen to EDM.

EDM is mostly mid-bassy, and the TH900 probably won't give enough of punch for you. It is definitely enough for me as I hate bass bleed, but I doubt it would do it for you honestly. It will give you the thump and rumble when called for, but not the punch and kick you seem to desire. You seem to need a lot of quantity, and I don't think the TH900 will give you enough of it.

Also, the TH900 is quite V-shaped. Mids are notably recessed, but probably not as much as the pro900, though I can't be sure since I've not heard the Ultrasone.

Again, I need to emphasize the highs. They are very harsh and sibilant, and I can only listen to it for longer than an hour if I pair it with a very warm amp like the Polaris. EDM also has a lot of sharp highs, and my ears feel like they are being attacked by sharp needles with the TH900.

With all that being said, don't worry about it now since you already bought it. There's still the chance it might be for you, since you'll never know until you try it I guess.

btw.. the money is still in my bank. Not yet checkout haha. Auditioning would be easy if my place provide that. But meh... im in iowa... nothing is here

Mar 20, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #5,378 of 12,087
As a proudly owner of a TH900 I must confess, the th-x00 balance across frequencies is wonderful. Most of my listening sessions now come from TH-x00.
The bass does not go so deep, and not spacious as TH-900, but oh boy this beast is joy! Best bargain ever!

Mar 20, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #5,379 of 12,087
  btw.. the money is still in my bank. Not yet checkout haha. Auditioning would be easy if my place provide that. But meh... im in iowa... nothing is here

I understand that not everyone can audition it, but imo you should at least know what to expect before purchasing something over 1000 USD which is a lot of money. Impulse buying something that expensive without researching it well enough is something I strongly suggest against.

Mar 20, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #5,380 of 12,087
Indeed, they might be right. To be fair, you never really burned in your PRO 900, but immediately you said it had too much highs and too recessed midrange. If you prefer a more relaxed high with some more midrange and punchy bass, THX00 might be more suitable than the TH900 for you.

You could grab a THx00 first, see how you like it, maybe it will be perfect for you, and it's less than half the cost...

It's not ALWAYS the MORE you spend the more you will like a headphone... It has a lot more to do with your preferred sound signature. I think you need to find out what that is first, then you can start narrowing it down from there.

For someone who likes smooth and warm sound, they might like HD650 best. You see this often. Just because it is $300 vs. TH900 which costs 3x as much, does not mean that person will like the TH900 more. It's all your sonic preferences and your genres of music that you like. I've learned I like the V shaped headphones, as you can see by my preference in my current headphones, but it's not like I knew that from the get go.

You do NOT NEED to spend tons to get a great headphone for you, especially if your a beginner to headphones, but it's all up to you.

THX00 is a great choice for electronic music. Keep in mind, I also suggested the PRO900, and you didn't like it.

We can give suggestions, but it's ultimately your ears that decide. What you and I like (and others you ask) might be very different.

Mar 21, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #5,381 of 12,087
Hallo, have today received a pair, bought second hand... The long cable will have to go, hence I have ordered a new 3,5mm plug to interface with my Mojo...

I plan to cut the cable and solder the new plug on, will it be an easy operation, my last solder job on headphone cable was year ago, back then there seamed to be some coating on the wires inside the cable, will I meet the same challenge here, anyone have some insights?

Best regards Morten

Mar 21, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #5,382 of 12,087
Hallo, have today received a pair, bought second hand... The long cable will have to go, hence I have ordered a new 3,5mm plug to interface with my Mojo...

I plan to cut the cable and solder the new plug on, will it be an easy operation, my last solder job on headphone cable was year ago, back then there seamed to be some coating on the wires inside the cable, will I meet the same challenge here, anyone have some insights?

Best regards Morten

No inside coating on the wires.

Mar 21, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #5,383 of 12,087
I have done exactly that, cut the wire and soldered an Oyaide right angle 3.5mm plug. Works great with the Mojo. I'm thinking now to remove that and terminate with 2.5mm TTRS to used with DP-X1 and also use an adapter back to 3.5mm TRS. Any suggestions for 2.5mm plug?

Decisions, decisions...

Mar 21, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #5,384 of 12,087
  I have done exactly that, cut the wire and soldered an Oyaide right angle 3.5mm plug. Works great with the Mojo. I'm thinking now to remove that and terminate with 2.5mm TTRS to used with DP-X1 and also use an adapter back to 3.5mm TRS. Any suggestions for 2.5mm plug?

Decisions, decisions...

I'm not super stoked about the connection of the 2.5 mm plugs I am currently using on my cables. They look great, but can't take vigorous head shaking.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151880534452?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back