Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Dec 28, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #2,776 of 18,765
Dec 29, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #2,777 of 18,765
Everyone I've spoken to who tried the SPL with Audio-Technicas has heard humming. It pairs quite nicely with the W5000 otherwise. But yeah, I've heard it in different locations with different sources: it was definitely the Phonitor. ATs however are some of the most sensitive headphones out there (which is why amp designers like EC use them to test the noise floor of their amps).

That being said, I can't remember if there was much in the way of noise on the Phonitor with the TH900 specifically, but I remember the combo was a good match in terms of sound synergy.

Dec 29, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #2,778 of 18,765
Updated Impressions 12/28:

The TH900 continues to impress me. I finally tested it out on some metal music - until now had only listened to classical, folk, & electronica/trip-hop on it. And when I say metal, I mean serious metal - some of my most aggressive metal, the kind of stuff that stresses headphones in general and most headphones just can't take it. The kind of stuff that I typically listen to on the AD2K because it just takes it and dishes it back out in only the bad-ass way that it can, like this:
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'm just going to put it this way: if the TH900 had the forward-moving insistent drive of the AD2K, I think I could seriously part with the AD2K, because the TH900 kicks serious ass with metal! So much that it's nearly tearing the AD2K a new one - the TH900's bass/mid-bass is nicely heavy, compared to the lightweight-sounding AD2K. I'm still going to keep the AD2K of course, but the TH900 is killing it on metal. Everything in the bass/mid-bass/lower mids area, specifically bass guitar & male vocals, just sounds nicely heavy & full and certifiably "metal". I previously recommended the Audeze LCD-3 for metal and will now have to do the same for the TH900, it's that awesome!

I also finally got around to comparing the TH900 to the OII MKI directly, as opposed to guessing. (I now have the Burson Soloist set up simultaneously alongside the BHSE.) I could post the results but I think I'll save it for a full mini-review to come later. Maybe I'll just say that the TH900 is starting to win me over back to dynamics in favor of electrostats and I'm seriously contemplating parting with the 'stat gear now....
ph34r.gif

Btw, the TH900 happens to fit perfectly in the OII's flight case.

Quote:
Time for a good crossfeed, Asr (Phonitor)! However, I for one enjoy the imaging and soundstage of the TH900s, especially useful for audio mixing. In that regard, I find them even better than HD800s, but the separation/air is larger or better in the HD800s, and that's not surprising since they are open-back.

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm not likely to get a Phonitor. My previous experience with the Auditor (same amp but without all of the various controls) didn't go well with my preferred headphones and it was a particularly bad choice for the Audio-Technica AD2K. I wouldn't personally use (or recommend) the Auditor/Phonitor for low-impedance headphones in general.

Dec 29, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #2,779 of 18,765
Quote:

The TH900 continues to impress me. I finally tested it out on some metal music - until now had only listened to classical, folk, & electronica/trip-hop on it. And when I say metal, I mean serious metal - some of my most aggressive metal, the kind of stuff that stresses headphones in general and most headphones just can't take it. The kind of stuff that I typically listen to on the AD2K because it just takes it and dishes it back out in only the bad-ass way that it can, like this:
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'm just going to put it this way: if the TH900 had the forward-moving insistent drive of the AD2K, I think I could seriously part with the AD2K, because the TH900 kicks serious ass with metal! So much that it's nearly tearing the AD2K a new one - the TH900's bass/mid-bass is nicely heavy, compared to the lightweight-sounding AD2K. I'm still going to keep the AD2K of course, but the TH900 is killing it on metal. Everything in the bass/mid-bass/lower mids area, specifically bass guitar & male vocals, just sounds nicely heavy & full and certifiably "metal". I previously recommended the Audeze LCD-3 for metal and will now have to do the same for the TH900, it's that awesome!

Glad to hear it performs nicely with metal, I wouldn't have guessed that.
The D7000/LA7000 was good with anything, especially classical, but hardrock/metal was a bit of a weaker point IMO, not that it was bad at those genres per-se.
For metal I haven't heard anything better than the L3000 to date.
I had the AD2000 for a short period and I found it amazingly similar in sound to the W3000.
Not sure if I tried the AD2000 with metal but I did try the W3000 and that wasn't a good match. I always thought of the W3000 as mainly the best phones for vocal.

Quote:
I definitely know where you're coming from, in my earlier setups (HA-160D, Lyr, ancient E9/E7), I always had a noisy background but when I got the Phonitor that stopped. I absolutely hate hissing noises instead of black background, it would always drive me crazy. I also upgraded my DAC and that helped a lot in creating hiss-free signals to my amplifiers (both RCA and XLR outs balanced are available with my Mytek). I agree with the subtle crossfeed implementation comment, it is one of the best I've heard to date (time to try out Smyth Realizer).

Yeah, I must admit, I'm pretty sensitive to any kind of hiss as well. The Dac I had at that time was the PWD Mk1, without the Bridge at that time if I remember correctly, I got the Bridge at a later stage.
When I buy the TH900 I'll either get me a HP-A8 to go with it or a combo of Marantz NA-11S1 (should be out in march) with a Zana again. I miss that amp. Quite a price difference between the two setups though.

The Realiser ... although I have no interest in crossfeed that thing always interested me for surround sound. I should read up on it a bit. I think it will be too expensive for my needs though, I have a nice surround speaker set and don't need to watch a movie quietly with phones. 
It could be fun for the occasional video game. However I do tend to collect all interesting games for Mac available as well as some old Dos games for old times sake but actually never play them (10-20 hours a year should be fairly accurate). So again, a bad investment for me. Which is why I got me a cheap external SoundBlaster Recon 3D.
Still the Realiser intrigues me.

Quote:

+4. 

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #2,781 of 18,765
Quote:

very_evil_smiley.gif

I also finally got around to comparing the TH900 to the OII MKI directly, as opposed to guessing. (I now have the Burson Soloist set up simultaneously alongside the BHSE.) I could post the results but I think I'll save it for a full mini-review to come later. Maybe I'll just say that the TH900 is starting to win me over back to dynamics in favor of electrostats and I'm seriously contemplating parting with the 'stat gear now....
ph34r.gif

Btw, the TH900 happens to fit perfectly in the OII's flight case.

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm not likely to get a Phonitor. My previous experience with the Auditor (same amp but without all of the various controls) didn't go well with my preferred headphones and it was a particularly bad choice for the Audio-Technica AD2K. I wouldn't personally use (or recommend) the Auditor/Phonitor for low-impedance headphones in general.

The wait for mine is killing me! My ZDSE/DP1 need some TRS love. :wink:

-Daniel

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #2,782 of 18,765
Quote:

very_evil_smiley.gif

ph34r.gif

What kind of blasphemy is this, especially from you Asr?
biggrin.gif

I know where you're coming from since the TH900 is really, really excellent. I have some new Stax gear now and will be comparing them side-by-side to see which rig is my thing.
Lately, I've also been listening to a lot of metal, not the aggressive type you mention, but really fast and dynamic music (power metal, 80s metal), and the TH-900s are freakin' awesome in this genre. I am still looking for a genre where the TH-900 fails, I can't find one.

Quote:
The Realiser ... although I have no interest in crossfeed that thing always interested me for surround sound. I should read up on it a bit. I think it will be too expensive for my needs though, I have a nice surround speaker set and don't need to watch a movie quietly with phones. 
It could be fun for the occasional video game. However I do tend to collect all interesting games for Mac available as well as some old Dos games for old times sake but actually never play them (10-20 hours a year should be fairly accurate). So again, a bad investment for me. Which is why I got me a cheap external SoundBlaster Recon 3D.
Still the Realiser intrigues me.

Well that's the thing, isn't it. I think the best solution is to always have a secondary setup of speakers that you can listen, to make you remember how real surround sounds like. When will you be getting your TH900, Applehead?

Quote:

The wait for mine is killing me! My ZDSE/DP1 need some TRS love. :wink:

-Daniel

Bourne, I am the most impatient person when it comes to waiting for a new headphone to arrive, especially something like the TH900!

Dec 29, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #2,783 of 18,765
Quote:
Well that's the thing, isn't it. I think the best solution is to always have a secondary setup of speakers that you can listen, to make you remember how real surround sounds like. When will you be getting your TH900, Applehead?

When I'm finished buying and tuning motorbikes. 
tongue_smile.gif

That stuff costs a fortune.  

I have my three speaker setups the way I want now (desk stereo, living room stereo and living room surround) except for the dacs. My headphone setup is non-existent for the moment, all I have is a D7100 and it plays from the phones out of my speaker amps.

I'll be keeping the D7100 for all-round use and add a TH900 for music, probably with a HP-A8 used as dac as well as amp. I'll need a second Dac for the living room, that one 'll be the NA-11S1.
Meanwhile I see the TH900 is getting cheaper. It just needs to lower in price a bit in Europe as well. No use for me to buy it in Aussie or the US, import taxes and VAT will get the price well over the regular price here. Unless one of you is planning to visit Belgium and wants to smuggle one in. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #2,784 of 18,765
When I'm finished buying and tuning motorbikes. :tongue_smile:
That stuff costs a fortune.  

I have my three speaker setups the way I want now (desk stereo, living room stereo and living room surround) except for the dacs. My headphone setup is non-existent for the moment, all I have is a D7100 and it plays from the phones out of my speaker amps.

I'll be keeping the D7100 for all-round use and add a TH900 for music, probably with a HP-A8 used as dac as well as amp. I'll need a second Dac for the living room, that one 'll be the NA-11S1.
Meanwhile I see the TH900 is getting cheaper. It just needs to lower in price a bit in Europe as well. No use for me to buy it in Aussie or the US, import taxes and VAT will get the price well over the regular price here. Unless one of you is planning to visit Belgium and wants to smuggle one in. :D

I wonder how the D7100 will compare to the TH-900. Comparing the square wave graph on innerfidelity they don't seem to be that different though I don't reallykow how to interprete how they should be different.

Regarding all round use, I find the TH-900 is quite forgiving. Would be a great all rounder besides the lack of isolation.

Dec 30, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #2,785 of 18,765
I wonder how the D7100 will compare to the TH-900. Comparing the square wave graph on innerfidelity they don't seem to be that different though I don't reallykow how to interprete how they should be different.
Regarding all round use, I find the TH-900 is quite forgiving. Would be a great all rounder besides the lack of isolation.

Why even look at the square wave graph, that is not going to tell that you much?

graphCompare.php

Here are the FR curves. There are obvious striking differences:

• The TH900 has a smidge less bass response but seems overall more neutral, that is a very tight bass line (but the LCD-3 as a reference is even better but less pronounced)
  • The mids are very recessed on the D7100 with a very large dip, note the TH900 has the same sort of dip but not as steep (still slightly recessed, this could be EQ'ed)
  • The treble on the TH900 is an order of magnitude better than the D7100 (which is a roller coaster ride)

Again, the highs on the Fostex really shine.

WARNING: I have never heard the TH900, D700, or LCD-3 for that matter. Just living vicariously through FR graphs.

Dec 30, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #2,786 of 18,765
Quote:

There is no comparison... TH900 > D7000 > D7100. The sound signature of the D7100 is quite different (and worse) than the rest of the Foster lineup because it is not made by Foster but by Denon themselves.

Dec 30, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #2,787 of 18,765
I'm pondering replacing the LCD-3s with the TH900s for when I want a pair of cans that are more exciting compared to the 009s which are ultra-refined. The LCD-3s were my kick-in-the-pants cans, but they don't do enough of that. The other solution would be to get a big tube amp for them or wait for the closed LCD-2s. That would be a tough call then.

Dec 30, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #2,788 of 18,765
Quote:

There is no comparison... TH900 > D7000 > D7100. The sound signature of the D7100 is quite different (and worse) than the rest of the Foster lineup because it is not made by Foster but by Denon themselves.

I remember reading (in the new Denon phones thread I guess) that while at first everyone thought the new Denons weren't made by Foster it actually tuned out they are anyway. Sorry if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure I read it.

Quote:

Ah but with allround use I mean lying around all the time, not taking much care of, using for a game, movie,  when ripping or sampling on Spotify and the likes to skip from track to track ... seems like a shame to use a TH900 for that, I'd like to reserve that one for serious listening or relaxing and enjoying.
I could probably have chosen a cheaper phone as allrounder but The D7100 didn't actually cost me that much and I think the sound is not anywhere near as bad as I read IMO while I absolutely love the build quality and design. Never thought that I would when I first saw the pictures though but you need to see and hold them for real.

Dec 30, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #2,789 of 18,765
Quote:

Was it actually ever confirmed that Denon made the D7100 themselves? They mentioned doing some of it in-house, but I honestly think that's nonsense (along with the "flat tuning" advertised on the box).

Yeah, I agree on the sound. The D7100 is pretty terrible IMHO.

Dec 30, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #2,790 of 18,765
Quote:

Was it actually ever confirmed that Denon made the D7100 themselves? They mentioned doing some of it in-house, but I honestly think that's nonsense (along with the "flat tuning" advertised on the box).

Yeah, I agree on the sound. The D7100 is pretty terrible IMHO.

I don't believe so. I have only heard rumours which I'd rather not regurgitate cos we know how internet damaging rumours could be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back