Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Nov 14, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #2,371 of 18,765
I accidentally dropped a hole puncer (about a 40cm drop) on the audio jack of my TH900 and it made a small dent in the metal. This goes to show how soft the metal is. It made me think that perhaps the jack should be made of rubber to absorb impact like most other headphones.

Edit:
Photo of the dent

Nov 14, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #2,372 of 18,765
Quote:
I accidentally dropped a hole puncer (about a 40cm drop) on the audio jack of my TH900 and it made a small dent in the metal. This goes to show how soft the metal is. It made me think that perhaps the jack should be made of rubber to absorb impact like most other headphones.
Edit:
Photo of the dent

Out, that gotta hurt. somehow though the more expensive headphones are, the more delicate they're constructed. I don't think durability is one of the factors during design. I've had my TH-900 cups broken twice.

The Stax SR-009 is also quite delicately built.

Nov 14, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #2,373 of 18,765
Quote:
So what amps are folks using with their TH900s? I was going to reacquire a GS-X but have been thinking about reverting back to unbalanced gear for my dynamic setup since it'd make more sense with the headphones that I'm going to use, including the TH900. Budget up to $2500. I was seriously contemplating the Burson Soloist (there's actually a local dealer here, so I'm probably going to demo it anyway) but not sure of any other options.

Hoping for a Black Friday deal somewhere but even if there isn't one I'm probably going to buy a TH900 anyway.
smile.gif

I'm probably crazy for buying expensive headphones while being unemployed, I'm sinking to new lows!
tongue.gif

Edit: I see that Eddie Current already has a Black Friday deal listed for the Super 7 at $1500, hrmmm.....

Consider Violectric V200 and Yamamoto HA-02, I have good experience with both of them.  Violectric is a good general amp, but HA-02 is very specific to woodies such as the Audio Technica headphones and TH900.  I personally don't like the Burson Soloist as I consider it too bassy and muddy for my liking, but a lot of people like the combo.

Nov 14, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #2,374 of 18,765
Quote:
So what amps are folks using with their TH900s? I was going to reacquire a GS-X but have been thinking about reverting back to unbalanced gear for my dynamic setup since it'd make more sense with the headphones that I'm going to use, including the TH900. Budget up to $2500. I was seriously contemplating the Burson Soloist (there's actually a local dealer here, so I'm probably going to demo it anyway) but not sure of any other options.

Hoping for a Black Friday deal somewhere but even if there isn't one I'm probably going to buy a TH900 anyway.
smile.gif

I'm probably crazy for buying expensive headphones while being unemployed, I'm sinking to new lows!
tongue.gif

Edit: I see that Eddie Current already has a Black Friday deal listed for the Super 7 at $1500, hrmmm.....

The Bryston bha-1 may be a good match.  Maybe someone on this forum has tried this combination and can comment.  It can be used with both balanced (double 3 pin or single 4 pin) and single ended cans.  I purchased it to use with my th900 when it's returned and am currently using it with an AKG K550 in the interim.  Basically the impact on the performance of the AKG 550 is jaw droppingly good as long as the bha-1 is fed from a good source (I am using the Vecteur L4.2) so I am thinking/hoping it will be the same with the th900.

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #2,375 of 18,765
Quote:

In that case, the TH900 should be the perfect headphone for you.

Comfortable? Check.
Good for rock and metal? Check.
Efficient? Check.

The TH900 is one of the few headphones that shine in virtually every genre you throw at it. If you primarily listen to into rock and metal, the LCD-3 (a.k.a. the king of bass) may be the ideal headphone sonic-wise, but it's nowhere as comfortable and as efficient as the TH900. The LCD-3 is not comfortable by any means, and it requires a powerful amp to get the most out of it. On the contrary, the TH900 is one of the most comfortable flagship headphones (next to the HD800), can be driven efficiently by small amps like O2 or Asgard, and still has plenty of high-quality, deep, satisfying bass. I felt the TH900's performance in bass section was superior to its treble or mids, and even better than the LCD-2(another great bass headphone)'s performance in bass.

Do you think the mids are recessed, or are the mids satisfactory for rock/metal? 

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #2,376 of 18,765
I think the mids are the most natural and organic sounding mids I've heard on a dynamic phone. I think they'll be great for you. But it all comes down to preference. While they are fantastic mids, they are not as present as something that is mid-forward. But it's even a tossup as to whether people even hear the midrange "suckout" others hear. It's a great phone, and a great all-rounder. Mids are never a problem for me. 

Nov 14, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #2,377 of 18,765
Quote:

smile.gif

tongue.gif

Hi Asr, 'been reading your posts a lot over the years (the GSX vs Apache one was a great read and useful to me -- got an Apache and then upgraded to B52 and your findings were just what I heard).
FWIW, I have been using a Rudistor RP010B with my TH900s with great success (and this amp is also can't-stop-listening-great with my HE500s), so maybe you should give Rudi's RPX-35 at $1500  a try.
(I think you can return it after an audition in a week, but I'm not sure.)
From my reading (see Mark Lawtons posts on the Rudistor RPX010 vs. RPX33) they are very close in performance (I myself have only heard the RP010B).
There are also some old stereophile reviews of the RPX33.
The best adjective I can find is even and balanced, and you need to be careful with the TH900s not to accentuate the upper bass or lower treble I think. They do well with control in the bass and
a bit of warmth in the highs, and then they are truly great.
Good luck.

Nov 14, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #2,378 of 18,765
I've heard the Burson amps pair well with it. I really loved the LF with it when I heard them. Sounded much better from the LF than my D7000 did when I had them.

As for the Bryston...I think it might just be too much for a can this easy to power. It's a very good amp, but the SE section is less than stellar...and the volume knob would barely need to move in balanced mode for it to be way too loud.
Quote:
The Bryston bha-1 may be a good match.  Maybe someone on this forum has tried this combination and can comment.  It can be used with both balanced (double 3 pin or single 4 pin) and single ended cans.  I purchased it to use with my th900 when it's returned and am currently using it with an AKG K550 in the interim.  Basically the impact on the performance of the AKG 550 is jaw droppingly good as long as the bha-1 is fed from a good source (I am using the Vecteur L4.2) so I am thinking/hoping it will be the same with the th900.

Nov 14, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #2,379 of 18,765
Quote:
I've heard the Burson amps pair well with it. I really loved the LF with it when I heard them. Sounded much better from the LF than my D7000 did when I had them.

As for the Bryston...I think it might just be too much for a can this easy to power. It's a very good amp, but the SE section is less than stellar...and the volume knob would barely need to move in balanced mode for it to be way too loud.

The good thing about the Bryston is it has a gain switch.  So does the GS-1 and the GS-X.  However, I do agree the SE output on the BHA-1 made my T1's sound horrible.  

Nov 14, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #2,380 of 18,765
I almost mentioned the gain switch, but since you said something about it I still think you wouldn't get a lot of play even on Low Gain. Just judging from my experience with it and the HD800.

Quote:

The good thing about the Bryston is it has a gain switch.  So does the GS-1 and the GS-X.  However, I do agree the SE output on the BHA-1 made my T1's sound horrible.  

Nov 14, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #2,381 of 18,765
Quote:
I almost mentioned the gain switch, but since you said something about it I still think you wouldn't get a lot of play even on Low Gain. Just judging from my experience with it and the HD800.

The HD800s???  uumm  When I had the BHA-1 the 800s was OK with it even on high gain.  Oh well..  The TH-900s are more sensitive than the HD800s aren't they?

Nov 14, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #2,382 of 18,765
The HD800s???  uumm  When I had the BHA-1 the 800s was OK with it even on high gain.  Oh well..  The TH-900s are more sensitive than the HD800s aren't they?

much, much more.

Nov 14, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #2,384 of 18,765
Again, the Rudistor amps are good for sensitive phones like the TH900 because they use a potentiometer (non stepped volume control).
Stepped attenuator + sensitive phones = nightmare in my experience, no matter how good it sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back