Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Nov 15, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #2,386 of 18,765
Quote:
So what amps are folks using with their TH900s? I was going to reacquire a GS-X but have been thinking about reverting back to unbalanced gear for my dynamic setup since it'd make more sense with the headphones that I'm going to use, including the TH900. Budget up to $2500. I was seriously contemplating the Burson Soloist (there's actually a local dealer here, so I'm probably going to demo it anyway) but not sure of any other options.

Hoping for a Black Friday deal somewhere but even if there isn't one I'm probably going to buy a TH900 anyway.
smile.gif

I'm probably crazy for buying expensive headphones while being unemployed, I'm sinking to new lows!
tongue.gif

Edit: I see that Eddie Current already has a Black Friday deal listed for the Super 7 at $1500, hrmmm.....

Can we expect a review at some point?

Nov 15, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #2,387 of 18,765
It's crazy how hard it is to find these in stock in Europe. Ordered from Germany (hifi im hinterhof), but just heard that I have to wait few weeks for them to arrive from Japan anyway. Hope they are worth it, curious to hear how they work with Realiser..

Nov 15, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #2,388 of 18,765
Quote:
Hi Asr, 'been reading your posts a lot over the years (the GSX vs Apache one was a great read and useful to me -- got an Apache and then upgraded to B52 and your findings were just what I heard).
FWIW, I have been using a Rudistor RP010B with my TH900s with great success (and this amp is also can't-stop-listening-great with my HE500s), so maybe you should give Rudi's RPX-35 at $1500  a try.
(I think you can return it after an audition in a week, but I'm not sure.)
From my reading (see Mark Lawtons posts on the Rudistor RPX010 vs. RPX33) they are very close in performance (I myself have only heard the RP010B).
There are also some old stereophile reviews of the RPX33.
The best adjective I can find is even and balanced, and you need to be careful with the TH900s not to accentuate the upper bass or lower treble I think. They do well with control in the bass and
a bit of warmth in the highs, and then they are truly great.
Good luck.

I used to own both. The RPX-33 MkII and RP010B MKII have similar sound signature and IMO among SS amps they are "tubey" sounding. When I had them they paired grate with my D7000 and Edition 9.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Nov 15, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #2,389 of 18,765
Quote:

On the contrary my friend.  Maybe not the best but far from a night nightmare.  The GS-1 w/DACT is great with sensitive phones.  I think any amp with a gain switch will give you a fighting chance.

Agreed. Plus, for those of us who use computers, you can use foobar's digital attenuator for fine control. I've never heard any SQ degradation from it (can't say the same for other digital volume controls).

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #2,390 of 18,765
Best amp around $1k for the TH900s?  I am eyeing the WA6SE or the V200.  Any other recommendations that may be better?

Nov 17, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #2,391 of 18,765
Quote:
Best amp around $1k for the TH900s?  I am eying the WA6SE or the V200.  Any other recommendations that may be better?

Not sure about better but if I'm not mistaken I believe some have suggested the Burson Soloist is a nice match.

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #2,392 of 18,765
Quote:
Best amp around $1k for the TH900s?  I am eyeing the WA6SE or the V200.  Any other recommendations that may be better?

I dont know if its the best amp in the range, but I'm happy with the WA6SE + Sophia Princess, its a rather neutral setup so what you hear is pretty honest and great.

Nov 17, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #2,393 of 18,765
I have only compared the th900 on v200 and soloist. I preferred the Violectric since the bass on the soloist is a bit overpowered for my taste.
I haven't tried it with any tube though I'm interested in some Eddie current amps.

Nov 17, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #2,394 of 18,765
I have both WA6 SE and Soloist (and use to have Violectric V100 for about a few months), and IMHO I prefer both WA6 SE and Soloist over V100 or V200.
In regards to Soloist either with Rega DAC and Audio-gd ref 5, it sound very good, but with more laid back presentation than WA6 SE.

Nov 17, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #2,396 of 18,765
Hi Hubert481,
I used to owned V100 and with TH900 to my ears, it sound good.
I've tried V200 at my local shop and with TH900, it sound good as well.

However, with both Soloist and WA6 SE, IMHO they are better pairing with TH900 (with both my DACs).
Maybe because both V100 and V200 is slightly warmer than both Soloist and WA6 SE to my ears.
Please also note that it depend on the synergy with the source/transport, which in my case are Rega DAC and Ref 5,

Nov 17, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #2,397 of 18,765
Ok, thank you, jsgraha!
I will try it with V181 and m-dac audiolab and sonos in december (th900 out of stock)

Using a K1000 i like the v181

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #2,400 of 18,765
Quote:
I use the Zana Deux as my primary amp for the TH900 (HD800 and HP1000 as well), and it's an exceptional pairing to my ears.

Quoting an ancient post here, sorry for that MF.
I have been semi out of running here for a few months but there's something I just can get out of my mind: having sold my Zana Deux.

I'd be surpirsed if you haven't already heard the TH900 with the HP-A8 and since you seem to prefer to listen to the TH900 with the Zana Deux (not an SE if I remember) I would love to hear you thoughts on both. Differences, similarities, drawbacks, advantages of using one over the other?

I am thinking of getting a HP-A8 and use it as both a headphone amp and Dac but I'm pretty worried I'll find the sound "nothing special" like just about any other SS headphone amp I heard or had.

If you think that will be the case I consider going with my original choice for the Dac, the upcoming Marantz NA-11S1 to replace my Marantz NA7004.
For the headphone amp part I'd buy a balanced Zana Deux SE, again. Somebody hit me on the head with something heavy please! Ah well ...
The reason is that I never heard anything that sounded like the Zana. The HP4 was a great amp but the Zana was the only one that sounded truly different and amazing to me and I did have quite a few top amps. And it wasn't just the new toy effect, I got, and kept getting, that feeling everytime I plugged in some phones into the Zana.

The TH900 and D7100 will be the only phones I will use with it by the way. 

So, what's your opinion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back